[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Damage to suspension from hitting bumps and potholes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0235.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0235.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What causes your car's suspension to creak, like the sound of an old mattress?
Is it possible that hitting steel road plates (hueg bump) from construction at like 35-40 will cause the car to do it shortly after or right away?
A few days ago I hit these fucking steel plates, very rough. I don't think I've ever felt such a hard hit in my car, and it's really pissed me off because I always go slow over bumps to preserve the suspension. However this was at night in the city, with no warning signs whatsoever.
So now I'm tripping out, thinking this hard hit fucked up my suspension. What sucks is I can't really remember whether or not it used to creak (this is a car I rarely drive) but I do remember my shocks making that sort of air release sound whenever going over light bumps, and now I don't really hear it...

I hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to ask here, because I wasn't able to find anything on google about hitting bumps and how quick the damage is apparent.
>>
Probably nothing permanent, check your bushings and ball joints
>>
And what I mean by "I hope you can understand" is I'm not really sure if I'm being clear or what I'm asking makes sense

>>16325344
do you think those components would have gotten damaged enough from 1 hard hit to being making noises?
>>
>GOOGLE HOW LONG AFTER HITTING A BUMP WILL I KNOW IF THERE HAS BEEN DAMAGE TO THE SUSPENSION PLEAZE GOOGLE HELP ME OH GOD
>>
>>16325365
Yeah exactly. I'm tripping ballz over something I have no control of and it sucks so I need some kind of insight to either dispel my worries or confirm them. And like I said google didn't turn anything up after doing these searches
>>
>>16325362
It's possible you can damage a tie rod end or ball joint even an axle just having something hit underneath. Look under the car m8 it sounds like the strut is making noise.
>>
>>16325330
You probably blew the welds on the intake manifold.
>>
>>16325386
So the struts are what make the sound of air releasing when hitting bumps, right? Pretty damn sure my car stopped doing that in favor of a noise that sounds like an old shirt bed mattress. But all it took was one hard ass hit? What I'm trying to find out is if that's really possible, and I'm guessing it is? Shit sucks, anons. I wish I could get compensation from the city or something
>>
Sounds like poly bushings but OP probably isn't cool enough to have those.
>>
I guess I shouldn't expect the suspension to be tip top since the car has 140k miles and everything is still original...but I just wanted to know if I'm tripping or if this single hard hit really did kill my old, original struts
>>
>>16325563
Gonna need to overnight parts from Japan for sure.
>>
File: 20161204_182550.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161204_182550.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>16325384
> tripping balls
That doesn't mean angry distraught or upset.
Gen z can't slang very well. Do you use the term dead ass too?
>>
>>16325330
Does the car still track straight, or does it pull to one side now? If still straight, it's probably fine.

>pic
SH? Worth noting the suspension is different from the base Prelude with different parts, in case you do decide to mess with it.
>>
>>16325722
Yeah it drives fine. The only difference I've noticed is that instead of sounding like air suction or whatever when the struts hit, I get creaking. I guess what I'm wondering is if whatever of that "air" life was left got killed by the impact.
And yeah it is SH. Besides oem components what can I use to replace the struts? I've heard that atts doesn't like anytimhing aftermarket.
>>
File: dank_civic_3.jpg (366KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dank_civic_3.jpg
366KB, 1920x1080px
>fwd
>>
>>16325774
ATTS is fine with aftermarket suspension parts so long as you don't slam the car. I don't remember the exact options off-hand, but I know there are a few koni and tein setups people like.
>>
>modding a prelude
What's the point
Kys
>>
>>16325774
Probably ball joints. Preludes are the same as accord. I hit a jarring pothole and cracked my front strut, replaced them and was getting tons of creaking still.

Mechanic told me factory ballpoints were a sealed unit that broke open and leaked their fluid - but they weren't visibly worn. Spraying oil on them stops the creaking for a week.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.