[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

maintenance plebs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3362.jpg (568KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3362.jpg
568KB, 1536x2048px
First time posting here.

I recently purchased a 98 Oldsmobile aurora for 1000 bucks. It ran like shit on the 100 mile drive back but made it.

~120k miles on it. Tires looked brand new. Found a receipt for a recent (2 months ago) oil change in the trunk (wal-mart, rofl)

Got it home and replaced the spark plugs. pic related. They looked about 50k miles overdue. One of the coil packs had a rusty nipple, im thinking it needs a set of plug wires and ill replace that coil pack. Just cleaned the shit off the nipple for now. severe pitting on it.

Anyone else here get a similar steal of a deal on a car with shit teir maintenance?
>>
I usually just kick the tires to see if it's in good shape. Never thought to check if they're new or not.
>>
>>16321531
Oh also new plugs (and gap them) and wires first of all. See what happens from there. Nipple cleaning correct move.
>>
I bought my neighbors 93 trans am for $800
changed the optispark today, used a $60 amazon one and it runs great, Feels gud
>>
File: IMG_3366.jpg (551KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3366.jpg
551KB, 1536x2048px
>>16321571
check out the door wiring

Or lack there of. Ive got a fuckton of soldering to do.
>>
>>16321590
Are you sure it wouldn't be better to just get a whole new aftermarket wiring harness?
>>
>>16321596
that would be ideal but I havent found such a thing.
>>
>>16321608
It would cost more than the car anyway.
>>
>>16321617
Im just going to extend the wires with the appropriate gauge wire, add shock loops for opening and closing the door, and shrink wrap it nicely. rigid solderless connectors in a door hinge is a bad idea.
>>
>>16321644
You could also try cutting up some paper clips because then you can stick each end into part of the wire. A canister of liquid electrical tape later and you'll be golden.

Be sure to keep us updated about what you find next.
>>
>>16321667
Im so horrified by your recommendation Im not even sure if its satire.

Car has an aftermakret radio installed. Well sort of. It has a wiring harness plugged into it and turns on and works, but theres no mounting hardware to speak of.

Its literally sitting on top of the little tray thing that comes with aftermarket radios

10/10 A+ halfassery
>>
>>16321686
My radio was a lot like that too except it was stock and the knobs no longer worked and there was a tape stuck in it so you were pretty much fucked if ever turned it on and didn't know about my rad custom switch that killed the sound as long it was still on FM.

No, I would recommend you buy my busted old car either. Especially not if you had to go 100 miles and lay out a grand just to limp a terror heap back home.
>>
>>16321557
bring a 32 point inspection sheet with you then. get the basics out of the way that way.
>>
>>16321531
I got a 93 Buick LeSabre for $500. Used it for a year delivering pizzas and it never missed a beat. Sold it for $500 at the end of the year. Never even touched it except for oil when I bought it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.