[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's Talk Engine Braking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: l-series_itb.gif (41KB, 357x203px) Image search: [Google]
l-series_itb.gif
41KB, 357x203px
So I got a newer econobox and when I coast in gear it feels like it has zero compression, this vehicle has an electronic throttle body. I also have a sports car with electronic throttle bodies, and when I coast in gear it feels just like my cable actuated motorcycle. Does the sports car close the throttle bodies to simulate real engine braking while the econobox leaves them wide open in order to achieve better fuel economy?
>>
Don't give me nightmares like that.
>>
>feels like
So it doesn't slow down when engine braking down a hill at all?
>>
>>16319958
and also... what transmission is in the econobox?
>>
>>16319969
I only drive manuals, and no, the econobox essentially feels like there is no difference between clutch in or not. The only thing I can think of is the throttle bodies are left wide open for mpgs...while my beloved sports car fakes it for me.

What black magic is going on?
>>
>>16319940
For real. I knew that I don't control acceleration with an electronic throttle body, but I never considered I don't control deceleration either.
>>
>>16320001
I've had an electronic throttle body for all of like 10 car-hours and I've missed my cable throttles the whole time.

No matter what you do with it the wrong thing happens. I swear it's a form of psychological warfare or something.
>>
>>16319925
Not sure if it matters but the engine braking characteristics of my Miata are vastly different from my sport bikes. I can't really explain it to you. The sport bike's engine braking is very linear and predictable whereas the Miata's engine braking feels kinda sluggish or 'chugging' if that makes any sense.
>>
>>16320007
fwiw in my bmw i've never once considered the throttle anything but perfectly normal and like a cable. if there wasn't a "sport" button i'd swear it was cable actuated. this econobox tho is the nightmare you describe. you can't engine brake. but then again, if you have an electronic throttle, you only can engine brake if it lets you. the horrors.
>>16320018
I would gladly take good old mechanical chugging. I don't think miatas had electronic throttles until NC.
>>
>>16319925
I had an old car with a cable throttle, and to see if there was any difference in engine braking, I did a little experiment.
Rolling down a hill, I killed the engine and tried to determine if there was any difference in rate of acceleration with the throttle open or shut.

There was no difference with the throttle open or shut. Changing gear made much more difference.
>>
>>16320040
But you had the clutch in right? You can't kill a manual in gear.
>>
>>16320040
Your car was broken or maybe you were driving one of those old Buicks where they had to adjust the auto transmission because people were complaining that it didn't stop going when you got off the gas.
>>
>>16320049
Sure you can, assuming that the ignition isn't running of the magnetos or it's not a mechanical diesel or something.
>>
>>16320051
>during normal operation
should have specified. every obd2 car shuts off fuel supply when the gas pedal is not depressed anyways.
>>
>>16320054
What about idling?
>>
>>16320111
It returns to the programming to maintain idle when the RPM gets low enough.
>>
I doubt your issue with the ecobox has to do with the throttlebody. More than likely the reason why the ecobox is not engine breaking as well is it has a smaller engine with less compression ratio then the other engine meaning there is less resistance from the engine to slow the car down.
>>
>>16319925
You have a tiny petrol engine

Try it in a 2liter+ diesel econobox
You need engine displacement for proper engine braking

I tried it, my shitbox(frenchcrap 2liter engine) has a 1.6l version. While mine does just fine when going downhill(speed constant in 5th gear), the 1.6 version will pick up speed
>>
>>16320174
>>16320227
I wouldn't rule out things like cam profile and VE though. My old shitbox with the tiny low-compression engine engine braked like a pro, but I don't know that was entirely a matter of it being a little less pigfat.
>>
>>16320174
It may be a 1.6L but it is literally half the size of my other car and the compression ratios are the same. I have never felt such a lack of engine braking, ever. Then again, this is the first 201X econobox i've driven. Why would you not leave the throttles open to increase mpg?
>>16320242
It feels like the 2002 lancer I drove with such bad compression I killed it in gear and it kept rolling.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.