[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup m8s, I have a nephew that really likes cars and he kinda

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1481650079567.jpg (151KB, 1150x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1481650079567.jpg
151KB, 1150x2048px
Sup m8s,

I have a nephew that really likes cars and he kinda knows about them. He really likes the RX8 and he found a mint one next to him for 3k. Thing is, he hasnt got a license yet (he's 17, Eurocucks I know) and he's afraid the thing will be gone in a year. His dad wont budge at all, won't buy it for him even though he bought his older son a 2k shitbox (that he paid 10k for kek). How can I help him? I can't assist him financially because he probably has more money than I do.

Is this even a good choice? The car is mechanically and visually sound, black with a dark blue tinge and it even has the OEM spoiler. A steal for 3k
>>
Don't buy an RX8 for a retarded 17 year old, unless you really hate him.
He'll have other things to worry about in his young years than rotary maintenance, especially since he already sounds fucking clueless.
>>
>>16318220
The engine will probably need to be rebuilt soon, Good deals like the almost always have a catch
>>
It's another "guy who's slightly into cars discovers the rx8" thread

Don't do it, rx8 ownership takes special skill and autism and they're shit cars
>>
>>16318225
>clueless
Why tho. I mean he knows the basic-semi advanced stuff. He's definitely not a pitstop technician but he knows some shit
>>
>>16318229
It was already rebuilt a couple thousand kms back, the guy knocked up his girlfriend so he wants to get rid of it asap (what a fucking cuckhole)
>>
Rx8 as a first car is a nightmare.

>>16318233
he's 17, regardless of how much he knows of cars he isn't experienced. dorito cars are finicky snowflakes and require lots of special care and are punishing to drive, basically exactly what you do not want to get as a first car.

Push him away from it, unless his dad wants to drop 2k a year in maintenance to make up for his son's inability to care for it.
>>
>>16318236
I get it its not a good first car... But he cant be persuaded. I dont know why but nonetheless I wanna help him out. Maybe I could sign it on my name if I found the money and basically just hand it to him next year
>>
>>16318231
Tjey're gud cars, not for a 17 year old tho.
>>
File: WinningBlueMX5-NC012.jpg (118KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
WinningBlueMX5-NC012.jpg
118KB, 800x600px
>>16318220
If you REALLY want to help him, steer him away from that car. Rotary cars are not good as first cars because of the unique engine.

Rotary engines don't have pistons. Instead, they have triangles called rotors that spin around the crankshaft. There's no pistons, valves, or cylinder heads.

At the tips of the triangles are seals known as Apex seals. Due to they fact they're exposed to so much abuse, they generally need to be replaced every 60-80,000 miles. Unfortunately, replacing the apex seals means rebuilding the entire engine or just replacing the entire engine.

By design, rotary engines burn oil, so you have to check the oil levels every other fuel up. This would be fine if the dipstick weren't right next to the hot exhaust, requiring a glove to avoid burning yourself. The oil must be checked with the engine warm.

You also can't turn them on and then immediately off like other cars. Doing that will flood the engine. You HAVE to let them reach operating temperature before turning them off.

And the biggest deterrent for it is the fuel economy. There is none. Ther are literally gigantic American pick up trucks with V8 engines that get better fuel economy on average. Don't be fooled by it being a 1.3L. Those fuckers eat gas.

On the upside, they make good power numbers, and are ridiculously smooth.

As a suggestion, try to steer him towards a 2006-2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata. It uses the same chassis as the RX-7 but comes with a much more conventional and much more reliable inline 4 cylinder engine.
>>
File: RotaryEngine.gif (384KB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
RotaryEngine.gif
384KB, 350x300px
>>16318260
>It uses the same chassis as the RX-7
*RX-8

And for illustration, here's a gif image of a rotary engine in action
>>
>>16318260
I'll see what I can do... thanks man.

Why do rotaries need a rebuild for the seals to be replaced? Cant you replace these with a more tensile and strong material like carbon fiber? Shouldn't be too expensive
>>
>>16318274
>Cant you replace these with a more tensile and strong material like carbon fiber?
IIRC< they already use fucking kevlar for the seals and it isn't enough. carbon fiber can't deal with that amount of friction very well. It's very strong, but also very brittle. Carbon fiber will not stand up to duty as an apex seal in a rotary engine.

Also see:
>>16318273
To understand just how much friction there is.
>>
>>16318287
I see. Thanks man
>>
>>16318260
>You HAVE to let them reach operating temperature before turning them off.

False.
You can rev it out to 4-5k, switch the engine off and let it spin itself out, preventing flooding.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.