[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oil change worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 29

File: image.jpg (130KB, 592x444px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 592x444px
Does anyone actually change their own oil anymore? It's the ultimate waste of time and makes my driveway smelly and gross. I also inevitably ruin whatever shirt I'm wearing and my hands end up stinking like oil for the rest of the day. All to save like 15 bucks.

Also risking crushing my head under my car.
>>
yes changing your oil is a meme, you have been redpelled
>>
>>16311711
YES GO TO YOUR LOCAL GARAGE, PAY THEM AS MUCH AS THEY ASK YOU.
>>
>>16311711
I do it because I'm a mechanic and I do shit like that all day so it's like 5 min for me. and have a place to dispose of it
>>
i've tried to argue this a bunch of times.

i own a 2012 civic lx, there is no point in me changing my own oil. if i have service records of synthetic oil for the life of the car, it increases the resale value, so i do. plus it's so nice to drop it off, wait an hour, and then pick it up with fresh oil and no extra labor on my part

now, if i had something custom-built, i'd change the oil myself.
>>
>>16311711
Nope. It's not worth it. The only thing you should do is change the oil out for antifreeze during the winter so your engine won't stall due to cold.
>>
>>16311711
Pics of tits plz.
>>
I used to occasionally get my oil changed at places, mostly because of time

when I was able to change my oil and realized they put the wrong filter on that was half the size and I had to use a breaker bar to remove the bolt...fuck that, I'll make the time now
>>
>>16311747
fuckin' REKT!
>>
How is it not worth it.. It takes 5 minutes of actual work including jacking the car up.
Driving to the shithole to get your oil changed takes longer than that.

Anyone who doesn't change their own oil because it's "not worth it" probably doesn't even own a jack.
>>
Did it for my E46 since it was fucking $100 - $110 to get it done anywhere (hurr synthetic, hurr it's a furrunn impurrrt).

Now I just got a Mustang that uses synthetic as well...I usually use ramps but I may buy one of those pneumatic pumps and do it that way.
>>
>>16311738
>yfw own a 2015 civic lx
>been servicing it myself since day fucking one
Feels good to not be a Bitch.
Going to change my MTF soon. Approaching 60k miles
>>
>>16311738
a civic is like the easiet car to change the oil on; you could be done in 15 minutes.

but instead you wait an hour for someone else to do it?
>>
I hate doing it OP.

>Spend 20 minutes changing oil
>Spend a hour cleaning off the mess it made on your concrete driveway because you put the catch pan a few inches away from the initial oil stream that jetted out as soon as you took the drainplug off and the droplets from wind spreading it around
>>
>>16311795
t. fumbling sitcom dipshit
>>
It's worth it just based on the small number of people who've taken their car into a jiffy lube, or even a dealership, and some dumbfuck forgets to add oil back in
>>
>>16311738
time stamp your jack stands
>>16311744
time stamp your jack stands
>>
File: SANY0943.jpg (782KB, 3072x1356px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0943.jpg
782KB, 3072x1356px
As >>16311832 said, I do it myself because there are too many stories of quick lubes charging for the service and not actually performing it, whether it's not even touching the car or not replacing the filter or draining the oil and forgetting to refill it.

The only time I ever took my car to a Jiffy Lube, they charged me $50 for something that would have cost me $20, and it took two guys with a flashlight 15 minutes to find the filter. This was after I all but drew them an actual physical map describing where it was. (Buick V6 in a Pontiac Trans Sport, the filter is on the "back" of the engine, facing the firewall.)

I felt that it was worth the money spent, since I pissed myself laughing at them from the waiting area.
>>
File: 20161212_213517.jpg (3MB, 1394x2666px) Image search: [Google]
20161212_213517.jpg
3MB, 1394x2666px
>yesterday
>changing oil on new to me truck in back road behind my house (garage full of junk in boxes about to move and 3 cars in driveway)
>seafoam car too
>drain oil
>replace drain plug remove filter which is kind of difficult because of aftermarket headers and suspension angle
>NEW FILTER WILL NOT GO ON
>wrestle with it for 30 plus minutes
>can't do from top
>can't do from bottom
>use two hands from under truck through control arms while buddy guides from between headers up top
>all covered in soot and shit
>Millenial chick jogger stops and snaps a picture of us
>cops show up five minuyes later and say I'm breaking environmental codes, city ordinances, can be fined, ticketed and car impounded
>"aw shucks I'm sorry ma'am I'm just some stupid country bumpkin marine I didn't know"
>wearing green tee shirt with fade haircut
>I'm actually born and raised literally right there in SoCal
>every other word is ma'am
>gives me a warning and tells me to pack up and go
>finish oil change start truck and drive off
>sea foam smoking the fuck out of my exhaust
>don't care go straight home (around the corner) park in front of house as some guy leaves and run inside lock the door
>cop does not pursue
>probably not gonna risk doing any car shit on back road anymore
>can't even be mad at jogger chick for snitching on me really

At the end of the day though I used 6 quarts of the oil I wanted and the filter I wanted and paid less while making sure it got done right but I did have to take a long shower after when I could've just chilled whIle some pleb does it and almost got in legal trouble so it's your call OP
>>
>>16311865
>>NEW FILTER WILL NOT GO ON
how do you think the moron with little to no training is going to handle that for your $20?
>>
>>16311865
>seafoam
stopped reading
>>
>>16311865
Simple yes sirs and no ma'ams have gotten me out of a lot of shit.
>>
>>16311865
>snitching on someone for changing their oil
Wow that's pretty low. What a bitch
>>
>>16311738
>thinking they actually put synthetic in it
>>
>>16311786

>drop off car
>walk down and grab sandwich
>walk back
>give $50, take a short walk-around to see what needs to be fixed
>drive car away
>fix other stuff (shocks, filters, etc) myself

oil changes aren't worth it
>>
>>16311945
take a picture of your jack stands and tools
>>
>>16311896
Well apparently I'm retarded because afterwards I read some forums and jacking up the front right side moves the axle to an angle where you can get to the filter. I didn't lift it because it's a bronco and I can just slide under it no problem.

>>16311901
But dude it's on sale at autozone and it cleans your injectors and combustion chambers restoring performance and fuel efficiency as well as lifting your truck 3 inches and installing pneumatic locking diffs!
>>
>>16311911
I have been pulled over a ton and never gotten a ticket by using the yes sir no sir routine.
>>
>>16311945
>drive car on ramps
>undo drain plug
>go inside have some coffee or a sandwich
>put drain plug in, replace filter
>refill oil
>never have to leave the comfort of your driveway
>>
Dealer will do the first two oil changes for free.

I'm a lease cuck so basically free oil changes for as long as I continue to lease new cars. Of course I'm not gone a do it myself. Would probably fuck something up. I went to college to avoid manual labor. Plus I am keeping a high school dropout who went and got his GED employed.
>>
>>16311994
numale cuck. please don't reproduce.
>>
>>16311929
It's a pretty nice suburb I'm orange county man and I'm a fuckin beaner. It didn't help that it was some (((white chick))) wearing full makeup and probably 300 dollars of athletic clothes and shoes plus pink beats by Dre to jog along a back road.
>>
>>16311711
I've literally never had someone do my oil change for me. It takes like 10 minutes for fucks sake, and you should have some work clothes anyways.
>>
>>16312007
should've lived up to your heritage and fucked her right in the pussy.
>>
>>16311994
You are what is wrong with modern society
>>
>own a shitbox
>do own oil changes ever 4-5000 miles
>put down a sheet of cardboard to catch anything that falls
>$25 for 4qts synthetic and a filter
>mechanic buddy takes the oil to dispose of it at their shop.
>hour job with 50 minutes of waiting for the last of the old oil to drip out.

It is not hard.
>>
>>16311994
>Of course I'm not gone a do it myself.I went to college
>>
Reminder that not a single person saying it's not worth it has ever posted a time stamp of their jack and stands in any of these threads.
>>
>>16312001
>>16312016
>wageslave working classers think their opinions are relevant

Changing oil will become irrelevant when every car is a Tesla.
>>
>>16312055
Europe is dark/asleep and it's dark in the us too. Besides, ramps>jack and stands for oil changes.
>>
>>16312065
>entire post is irrelevant
ok
>>
I would, but why does the car have to be lifted in order to do it? So bow I have to buy a jack and ramps and shit to perform this so-called "basic" task.

Seems prohibitive by proprietary design.
>>
File: 3432873676_b3465e01fa_z.jpg (104KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
3432873676_b3465e01fa_z.jpg
104KB, 480x640px
>>16312057
Besides the point, but today I saw a couple of snooty looking white bitches loading up a Tesla with their kids...two of which went in the trunk

Fucking America
>>
>>16312160
>he's never made faces at people in the back of a wagon or SUV with jump seats.

shit was proper kek
>>
>>16312079
You have to buy tools too

Good thing there's always someone to take your money
>>
>>16312166
The Tesla has jump seats??

I just thought I just saw a stupid bitch stick her kids in the trunk, but I guess they're bringing back old technology too
>>
>>16312179
yeah it has two little jump seats. shit is neat
>>
>>16312055
have a pic of my project car's subframe and control arms

oil changes are a big pain in the ass because of the mess that inevitably happens

i would love doing them if i had a nice smooth epoxied/tiled garage floor that i could clean up in 5 minutes

but i don't so i have to spend time/money cleaning up the oil stains using this. might experiment with tide powder as a paste instead because 32oz isn't a lot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Chomp-32-oz-Concrete-Stain-Remover-53019/203082110
>>
>>16311854
>it took two guys with a flashlight 15 minutes to find the filter.

You're lucky they didn't just say "fuck it" and not bother to change the filter.
>>
>>16312187
> Jump seats in the trunk
WTF I love Tesla now
>>
>>16312202
Use cat litter. Spread it on any oil spill, leave it for 10 minutes or so, sprinkle a bit more on if necessary and sweep it up. Works like magic!
>>
>>16311711
ausfag here costs like $25 for a decent quality oil or less.

Facken OP is a retarded cunt

t. wanka

that and local mechanics charge $100-200 dollarydoos because they're cunts
>>
>>16311929
>Wow that's pretty low. What a bitch
No, because a lot of people deliberately do NOT change oil in their own property. They make a mess elsewhere and don't clean it up. They then toss the filter and milk container jug into the alley trashcan.

That is the pattern. So it's no wonder the jogger snitched. She probably thought it was just another one of those situations.

My old family home had a nice alleyway. And we had a large gate and paved area outside our fence too. Then people started parking their cars there and changing their oil leaving a mess for us to clean up. Of course they do it when we are not watching. So people do dump their mess into other peoples' hands. And I bet they didn't dispose their used oil properly. They prolly threw it into the trash containers in the alley. Someone else's of course so that they get the fine if the trashman is alert enough to catch it.
>>
File: IMG_0238.jpg (617KB, 2048x1536px)
IMG_0238.jpg
617KB, 2048x1536px
>>16312055
>>
File: IMG_0201.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0201.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>16312179
The rear-facing third seat is boss as heck. My kids love it. It's why I own a wagon.
>>
File: 20161201_140803.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_140803.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>16312265
The wagon in question
>>
>>16311738
I also drive a 12 civic but i service it myself. I work on my car out of the sheer pleasure of doing things myself and learning as i do them.
>>
>>16312055
fuck you cunt its facken 50 ausdegrees outside which is like facken 500 degrees yankfaggotite because of facken UV
>>
>>16312265
>>16312187
seat for 2 kids or 1 murrican.
>>
>>16312279

i am happy for you and i encourage you in all of your future wrenching

but i've worked on all of my other cars and it gets old when you've been doing it for over a decade

but learning how a car works and operates is one of the best things you can do nowadays. it saves you so much money and stress
>>
>>16312289
Yeah, it's really only suitable for small children. I've ridden in the back of my own car and it wasn't terribly comfortable.
>>
File: PuiRuo.gif (3MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
PuiRuo.gif
3MB, 320x320px
>>16312296
I uses to take my old car to a shop but after trying to do the oil change myself i realized that my filter was being torqued by satan himself.
>>
>>16312187
This looks unsafe as fuck in a rear-end collision.
>>
>>16312251
Yea that's why I said I can't really be mad at her, although I always dispose of my shit properly since it's 100 ft from my house but your right she probably thought I was some shade tree mechanic beaner fixing up some esé's truck back there to leave a huge oil puddle and a jug and filter on the ground
>>
>>16312275
dope car anon
>>
>>16312187
jesus they look like fucking goblins
>>
>>16311711
I change my own, because of a few reasons.

First is I like doing shit myself.

I like the peace of mind knowing it was done exactly right.

It's a great opportunity to be underneath my vehicle for a while, check out everything, underisde of motor for any new or worse leaks, check out bushings and ball joints, rust, etc.

I also use a mix of oils, I run a quart of diesel oil with 3 3/4 standard oil, 1/4 quart of ATF, with a zinc additive because old smallblock with a flat tappet.
>>
>>16312187
>>16312491

I'd put those ugly fucks in the back too, when you "accidentally" get rear ended you're ahead 3 points in life, 2 less rotted sperm spawns and 1 less overpriced RC car
>>
Local shop by me charges 30$ for oil changes and it's the same fuckin oil I bought when i was doing it myself. Have fun "wrenching" your shitboxes all under the guise that you're actually proud of your 82 iroc z with redneck cum on the seat headrest from 3 owners ago
>>
I took my car to a vavoline because I had a coupon for an oil change. My car wasn't "in their system", it's a 1995 Impala. I just went and got oil and a filter at Advance Auto Parts for 18 dollars and did it myself in 15 minutes.
>>
>>16311994
>I went to college to avoid manual labor

I have a master's degree from Stanford and I change my own oil. Please don't conflate not HAVING to do it yourself with not WANTING to do it yourself. For some of us, it's a nice way to zen out.
>>
>>16312935
No you don't
>>
>>16312187
I would hate to be driving behind a car with their kids in the back just staring at me the entire time.
>>
Its a frozen hellscape outside and I don't have a garage so no I typically don't
>>
>>16311711
The crushing your head bit is the only part of your argument that makes sense. If you're accident prone, don't change your own oil. Instead put on your big girl dress and drive down to the nearest McLube and have them do it.

If you're naturally good with tools and following a procedure, and you have jack stands, then changing your oil saves you more than $15. It provides peace of mind that the oil in your engine is exactly the one you want. If you're changing out synthetic oil then you're saving more like $50.
>>
I do, but I use my vehicle to tow frequently, and wind up changing it quite often. It's cheaper to buy the oil I use (Full synthetic DEXOS Bullshit.) in bulk than to take it to get changed every 2K miles.
>>
>>16312935
Stanford 09 here and I also change my oil. Not sure if you're lying but I do it for the same reasons. It's not remotely difficult and the busywork can be relaxing, plus I'm averse to feeling helpless at the hands of the kind of people who work at JiffyLube.
>>
>>16311738
>worrying about the resale value of a car that is going to depreciate no matter what

are you fucking stupid
>>
DIY saves me time and money. It's a half hour of mostly waiting, and I only pay $25 for the jug of mobil 1.
>>
>>16311865
Did you just let the oil drain onto the ground or something?
>>
File: IMG_3899.jpg (8KB, 127x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3899.jpg
8KB, 127x215px
>>16312057
TERRIBLE BAIT
>>
>>16313064
How is that bait? He's right. Until every car is a Tesla, oil changes will remain relevant.
>>
>>16312265
Have you seen what happens to a car when a truck hits it from behind? Your kids teeth will be replaced by the rear hatch.
>>
>>16313062
Nope I have a pretty big oil pan and a cookie tray
>>
In spain I'm sure they'll change your oil for shitty no name oil or Eni.
So since I can do it myself in 15 min and never overtorque my drain plug I do it myself.
>>
>>16313088
So, same thing as when you hit a truck from behind? except dashboard.
>>
While we're on topic,
Synthetic on an 25 year old PSA engine that takes 15w50 or 15w40 total quartz??
I've heard synthetic is too thin for an old engine or is that just the first synthetics years ago?
>>
>>16311711
>I also inevitably ruin whatever shirt I'm wearing and my hands end up stinking like oil
Really? I tried it for the first time the other day and didn't get the oil on anything.
>>
>>16313161
High milege synthetic is what you probably want. Be aware of several things. 1 changing to synthetic can cause leaks as it will help clean out your oil system and might be thinner. 2. When you switch you need to use the dino oil interval for about 2 more changes to make sure all the gunk is out before going to a longer synthetic interval. 3. Check on forums to make sure your car is compatible with synthetic oil. Some older cars have seals made of rubber that does not work well with synthetic. 25 years old means you are probably fine. 50 or more is something you want to chexk for sure.

Also isnt a bad idea to use an oil additive meant to restore compression if your car is that old. I perosnally use the 4 cylinder restore for all my 4 cylinder cars. I've actually noticed a difference in my oldest car since i started using it coupled with high milege synthetic
>>
I cant change my oil the same reason i cant plumb

I get dizzy quickly when im working lying down like that. Something about an imbalance in my ears.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px)
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I got about this far into the procedure and realized changing the oil isn't worth it
>>
IMO its wasteful to change the oil more than once a year unless you are really putting over 12k miles a year then maybe twice a year at most

full synthetics are really really good now

that being said i have to buy a HIGHLY specific oil for my own car just due to it being modified and only driven in the summer or when its warm
>>
>>16313403
Quality filter access right there.
>>
>>16313028
>the kind of people who work at JiffyLube

When I take my trucks in, all I hear from them is mumbling and whining about having to unbolt all the skid plates to access drain/fill plugs.

When I took my Porsche in, they just stood there looking like idiots trying to figure out where to put the new oil. Until I pointed out that 'OIL' in German is 'OEL'. So open the fucking OEL cap right in front of your fucking nose.

But now JiffyLube and the others don't do Porsches, so I might as well just do everything. None of the trucks need jackstands or ramps, so they are pretty simple (skit plates aside).
>>
>>16313403
You have a blown headgasket
>>
>>16313439
>taking any car to jiffylube
>taking a Porschuh to jiffylube
>>
>>16313462
Oh? How do you figure?
>>
File: received_10209775808205662.jpg (109KB, 960x822px) Image search: [Google]
received_10209775808205662.jpg
109KB, 960x822px
I change my trans am, bikes, and boats oil just because the trans am I simply don't want anyone else to touch. The bikes and boat just because they actually are way more pricey to have a shop do.
My truck and beater talon though I just take to a valvoline quick lube here. Costs me $16 or so for generic oil and filter from Wal-Mart. $20-25 if using name brand like valvoline/castrol. Quick lube place here is $23 for a conventional oil change. Easily worth to not bother on my two beaters.
>>
>oil goes out
>oil goes in
You can't explain that
>>
>>16313512
Probably because your valve cover is fucking filthy.
>>
>>16313539
Consider this: I have no oil in my coolant. No coolant in my oil. Exhaust doesn't smoke. Idles well and it doesn't bog anywhere on the rev range.
>>
>>16313407
Leased automatic FRS

Kys
>>
>>16311732
t. mechanic
>>
>>16311777
Yeah, once you're familiar with the process and your own car, it's literally stupid to just not do it yourself. On my Miata, I can do an oil change in less than five minutes.

However, on my highlander, the process is a lot more involved so I just pay a shop to do it

>mfw filter is hidden behind some four bolt panel and requires a factory tool to remove and also needs some stupid ass tube attachment to drain the filter prior to removal

So much easier in my Miata
>>
>>16311994
>lease
>bothering with oil changes
you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>16313546
you can leak oil out the side of your head and still have your explosion chambers free from oil and water and your water passages still sealed. Just one or more oil passages leaking.

Not that guy but just saying.
>>
>>16311711
DIY car servicing is a meme, it's hard and you run the risk of greatly damaging your.
It's best to leave it to the professionals, My mechanic is a wizard there is nothing She doesn't know about cars.
She was even able to tell me I bought the wrong oil,spark plugs and oil filter just by looking.
>>
>>16313439

Taking a Porsche to Jiffy Lube? Seriously? I would not trust my $500 beater to them.
>>
File: rebairs XD.jpg (2MB, 3414x1921px) Image search: [Google]
rebairs XD.jpg
2MB, 3414x1921px
>>16312055
I don't have timestamps because I don't take these photos with the intention of bosting into ans chinese automobile helper board section of new earth korean fantasy cartoon website.

Anyone who can't do their own oil changes without fumbling like a fucking idiot from those TV-shop commercials is someone who should not reproduce or even be allowed to drive a car.
>>
>>16313315
That's some great info there m8.
Can you give me a specific brand I might wanna try? On both the oil and especially the additive? I won't be able to get penzoil in spain.
>>
>>16314181
that's a really big windshield washer fluid reservoir
>>
>>16311738
>take car
>do nothing for an hour
>give back to customer
>take money
>>
>>16314252
For you.
>>
>Last week
>Maximum city-slicker Jew friend comes over to teach me Jew tricks
>And build a Jewmas gift for his uncle
>He also wants to do an oil change on his Nissan while he's here
>OK
>Go out to shop
>Have him pull in
>He jacks up his car
>I show him a few tricks so he doesn't get his shekelgrabbers dirty
>Dumps oil into pan
>Drain plug is in the socket, not the drain pan
>Just like I told him
>Changes his own oil filter
>Muh little Heeb is growing up :'^)
>Puts wheel on
Total time elapsed, including instruction: about 45 minutes

If Schlomo Shekelberg with no experience can do it, you can too.
>>
>>16314373
>>16314373
my sister and mom got tired of having this happen them, so im the designated grease monkey now. gets paids for its toos
>>
File: 34s3rd3.jpg (54KB, 640x422px) Image search: [Google]
34s3rd3.jpg
54KB, 640x422px
>>16311711
>having a car that doesnt burn all the oil for you in a month

pls go
>>
>>16314411
>>Drain plug is in the socket, not the drain pan
what kind of sorcery is this!?!!
>>
>>16314512
jam a piece of paper between the (proper sized) socket and the nut/bolt you're trying to remove.

pic related
>>
>>16311961
seafoam works pretty good as sauce on my hotdog too
>>
>>16312079
It doesn't, if you can fit under it.
>>
Its not about saving money or not
its about being manly
>>
>>16311711
I do. It saves time and money, and I don't do it wrong like you do.

I think I need to use a pipe or a funnel of some sort next time, though. The damn wind intervened and blew used oil all over my face last time.
And maybe a cushion so my shoulders don't get bruised by crawling under the car.
>>
File: 20161213_131420.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161213_131420.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Oil is pretty quick and easy, sucked back in the jack stand days.
>>
>>16314594
>implying you know what you are talking about
>implying we are all to stupid to figure out that shop dog is the one doing all the work.
>>
File: 1476657574060.png (71KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1476657574060.png
71KB, 400x400px
>>16314620
>implying a human is involved
>>
>>16311711
>Does anyone actually change their own oil anymore?
I own a corvette so no one touches my car except me. I think it really comes down the the type of car you own. People that own shitboxes don't really about do it yourself car maintenance.
>>
I changed my oil and spark plugs with basically no mechanical knowledge it was quite easy just research all the steps. Hardest part is the anxiety that you fucked something up etc. I plan on changing my transmission fluid next.
>>
>>16312347
I was thinking that same thing, but I'm sure they reinforced the rear for that exact reason

>>16312491
I lol'd, you're right.
>>
>>16311711
This might be the most millenial post I've seen all day. Congrats OP. You are literally the largest waste of air I've encountered all day.
>>
>own miata
>can literally reach oil filter from engine bay and unscrew it with hand
>can also unbolt oil drain plug without getting under car at all

Feels good man
>>
>>16313516

How's the trailer park this time of year?
>>
File: 1481487475284.png (375KB, 572x464px) Image search: [Google]
1481487475284.png
375KB, 572x464px
>>16312187
>driving behind this car
>two goblins staring at you the whole time
>>
>>16314564
>a cushion so my shoulders don't get bruised by crawling under the car.
What the fuck is wrong with you?
Are you really such a weak numale that you can't even crawl for 3 minutes without getting bruised?
>>
>>16315472
Dank
"Millennial" boogy man meme.

Boomers are the generation that won't change their own oil
I've never met a boomer willing to change their own oil, yet every Gen Z male I know either changes their oil, or would if they had a place to.
>>
>>16315770
Y. I meant Y.
Gen Z are niggers.
>>
>>16313403
90's Ram?
>>
>>16311711
I have a truck, and changing oil on something you don't even have to put on ramps is stupid easy to do.

However, I do take my car in because I'm just that lazy.

That all being said, I thought these things were going to become a thing any day now. What happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWlPyM1gzQ4
>>
>>16315778
gen y are millennials. I only know of 1 that changes his own oil.
Millennaials (1980-1985 to 1995-2000)
Gen Z (1995-2000 on )
>>
File: FUCKGMC.jpg (54KB, 604x328px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKGMC.jpg
54KB, 604x328px
>>16311901
>implying it doesn't clean your crankcase
>>
>>16315577
do you know how much it costs to run a boat
>>16315799
i dont think anyone wants to pay for those, and i dont think any automobile manufacturers want to pay engineers to figure out how to fit these things into cars
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>16315795
yessir
>>
>>16315977
I figure if they cost as much as having a Jiffy Lube service they'd be OK.

>auto mfrs
yeah I can see that i guess
>>
i like to know what kind of oil and filter is going inside of my car. i don't trust those fucks at jiffy lube.
>>
>>16311994
Why are you even in this thread?
>>
>>16311711
>driveway smelly and gross/ dirty shirt/ bang head on stuff/break hands
The fuck are you doing? From the sounds of it, it isn't an oil change.
>>
>>16311777
>>16311782
do people really have to put their cars up on jacks? how fat are you fuckers that you can't fit under your own car?
>jacking the car up
you said it friend-o

>>16311994
>i went to college
lmao i keked hard

>>16313009
i bet you also ask your boyfriend to open jars for you

>>16313391
pussy
>>
>>16312902
What are you so mad about? This isn't a working on cars forum it's a CARS forum. No need to get so triggered about not being capable of maintain one.

>old cur so gey. all old car ares shit and have redneck cum XD everyone think my nu honda is so much cool XD XD
>>
>>16316225
its like -15 degrees out and full of ice and snow
Fuck that.
>>
>>16313048
>In 5 years I will try and sell my Civic for 6000$ when everyone else with one of similar condition sells for 5500$.
No one looking for that kind of car will give a shit about your oil change receipts enough to EVER pay ANY amount of additional money for it. Where did you hear this shit? the Automotive column in your newspaper?
>>
>>16316225
Lmao my head is wider than the distance from the frame rails to the ground. My oil catch is too thick to slide under the car as well.

>tfw my car is barely lowered one inch
>>
these days i don't bother and just let the dealer do it. to change it myself would cost about $55 but the dealer will do it for $70 which includes topping off any other fluids(windshield washer, coolant ect) and tire rotation. of course they usually try to get me on other shit but i just refuse and if there's actually a real issue i fix it myself
>>
>>16312996
Make faces at them. Or rude gestures.
>>
>>16316427
Then a professional wrestler comes out and slashes your tires
>>
>>16316451
I roll for initiative and spray washer fluid at him instead
>>
>>16316479
>taking the Improved Initiative (Washer Fluid) Feat
enjoy your shitty feat tax build
>>
the less other people touch my car, the better. way i see it, so it's well worth it
>>
File: 1460989207744.jpg (2MB, 2048x1356px)
1460989207744.jpg
2MB, 2048x1356px
>>16311711
>6.5L semi synthetic oil $75
>Oil filter $15
>new crush washer $0.75

Diy labour free

Vs

>Mechanic $100/hour plus waste oil disposal fee $19
>"Premium" oil and filter $120

Hurr durr i only save $15

Kys mate. If we have to explain the benefit of doing your own services you dont deserve a nice car or my respect.
>>
>>16312055
Glorious 3.6L alloytec motor. Sump plug is forward of front axle. Do not need to raise car to reach sump bolt or fit drain pan under.

Oil filter on top of motor accessed via hood.

Now fuck off mate
>>
File: Jiffy_Lube_Logo.jpg (35KB, 722x461px) Image search: [Google]
Jiffy_Lube_Logo.jpg
35KB, 722x461px
Jiffy lube tech here. If you've seen our prices it may definitely be in your best interest to change your own oil if you can afford the initial investment of a basic tool kit, durable jack and jack stands.

I just buy my own oil and filter and use my shop to change my oil, takes 5 minutes since you just stand underneath the car in the pit. Taking it to a quick lube shop or garage is fine if you're a typical joe that just wants to shut his nagging wife up about the maint req light.

DIY for the first time is gonna be a little tedious.
>>
>>16315753
Fuck off, Ethan.

I have to crawl under the car on my back. There is literally no room to do anything else. Reaching up to do shit pushes my shoulder blades back, and into contact with the driveway.
I'm not amerifat, so I don't have half a ton of padding on me.

>>16316225
>do people really have to put their cars up on jacks? how fat are you fuckers that you can't fit under your own car?
It's not a case of 'I'm too fat to fit', and more a case of 'my car is low to the ground, and has low bumpers and skirts on it from the factory and there isn't enough room under there to work'.
And also 'I have to remove a fibreglass engine shield to get at the drain plug, which has a bunch of screws I can't find without seeing them'. I'd leave it off, but I like having a little bit of armour down there in case of road debris or roadkill.
I don't bother jacking it up, though. I use ramps instead.
>>
File: cyrus.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
cyrus.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>16312055
>mfw my super long Trevor-tier garbage-scooping arms are long enough to reach the sump plug without raising my car
>mfw my car rides high enough to slip a drain pan under the sump
>mfw my oil filter is easily accessible from the top side
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.