[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should i learn how to drive stick? what are the advantages of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: blackfuckingsabbath.jpg (124KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
blackfuckingsabbath.jpg
124KB, 1200x630px
should i learn how to drive stick?

what are the advantages of driving stick vs an automatic? i read that manual transmissions are more reliable. but ive driven an automatic car to 200k before [camry] and never had a problem
>>
not really

its one of those borderline useless skills

if someone lets you use their car go for it but its not worth spending money on
>>
There is no advantage for modern cars, if you want to learn then go ahead and learn.
>>
>>16310929
manual will always be better

ever go up a hill on the touge and your engine bogs if its an auto?

you can select a lower gear but it can fuck up your transmission

manuals dont have that problem.
>>
>>16310949
where i live its pretty much completely flat to the point that the only hills we have are man made for kids to sled down
>>
File: weeb86.jpg (1009KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
weeb86.jpg
1009KB, 3264x2448px
>>16310929
If you like cars, why wouldn't you want to at least learn? You don't have to own one if you don't like it but try it for yourself for a few months and see how you feel.

Life is too short to agonize over the question, just take action.
>>
>>16310929
The advantage to a manual is that the computer literally can't second guess you. The car does what you want when you want.

That's also a disadvantage, because new cars are generally smarter than most people.

But it's fun and a decent life skill (if you can drive stick, there's no chance you'll have to pass up driving a sweet car because it's got the wrong trans, or get stranded because you went to a party with a friend and he's too drunk to drive home).

I'd say learn it, because honestly there's very little not worth learning for the sake of learning. Expand your horizons.
>>
>>16310949
Lots of cars have a sport mode now though
>>
go buy a car thats manual and learn on the way home
by the end of the little adventure youll find yourself on you will know how to drive manual unless youre completely retarded
>>
It's a good skill to have just because life likes to throw curveballs, but really only useful these days for making the second/third car more fun during spirited driving
>>
>>16310957

how gaysian are you
>>
>>16311033
Half? I'm a hairy italian but I do like the D, I just enjoy that pic.
>>
>>16310929
I have spent a lot of time thinking about this over the last few years and I am pretty sure my answer is rock solid. The only reason to drive stick is to satisfy this bizarre autistic fascination with manual transmissions and cars. I don't know what it is but the feedback from motor to trans to the movement pattern of shifting is psychologically rewarding and the technical intricacies that come with it are rewarding to master (blipping the throttle while downshifting for example)

It's not hard and you can learn 95% of it within a few minutes of driving. It is pointless however since modern cars are infinitely better at shifting than humans ever will be and the ECU can be tuned depending on the type of driving you're going to be doing (aiming for fuel economy versus a higher RPM based sport mode).

Also, I guess it's useful in that 1 in a million percent chance that you might have to drive a stick for whatever reason, you will know how to
>>
File: 1481242582784.jpg (294KB, 707x625px) Image search: [Google]
1481242582784.jpg
294KB, 707x625px
>>16310929
Manuals are more reliable, technically speaking, and are easier to fix if they do break down

Automatics, in modern cars at least, pretty much always perform better than manual though

That's pretty much it, the rest is just elitist circlejerk nonsense. Kind of like /g/ bashing some of the easier-to-use distros of Linux.
>>
>>16310929
I think some people never get good at manual
always rough and clunky
>>
File: 1455244794714.jpg (28KB, 480x354px) Image search: [Google]
1455244794714.jpg
28KB, 480x354px
>>16310929
>what are the advantages of driving stick vs an automatic?
Nothing.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>16310983
This.

When I bought my first manual car, I didn't even know how to drive the thing, the owner taught me in a parking lot and walked off. I practiced for a few hours and took off across the empty city at 2am and took the highway home.

It was honestly the most fun I ever had, I had adrenaline pumping through me the whole time, it was the best time of my life.
>>
File: 1438856358002.jpg (113KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
1438856358002.jpg
113KB, 960x716px
>>16310949
>you can select a lower gear but it can fuck up your transmission
hwat?
>>
>>16310957
its so dumb you have to love it
>>
>>16311038

well its too fucking gay, its over the top gay

and that's coming from a 86 owner
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.