[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

98 VW Golf MK3 Wont start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: fuck_man_wtf_why_no_work.jpg (79KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
fuck_man_wtf_why_no_work.jpg
79KB, 960x540px
I have a 98 VW Golf that wont start. i turn the ignition, and it sounds like it wants to start, but lacks compression. Any help on a fix? didnt see mayonnaise on the oil cap.
>>
>>16310574
dead battery?
>>
>>16310584
the battery is fine, this has baffled me.
>>
>>16310574
Is it manual? Can you push start?
>>
>>16310574
did you try giving it some gas?
>>
>>16310574
>but lacks compression
check the timing belt
>>
>>16310604
yes it is a manual
>>16310605
yessir
>>16310609
A relative is telling me that it might be the head gasket, which i dont understand because i dont see any mixing in fluids.
if it is, is it worth fixing?
>>
>>16310625
A blown head gasket won't always mix fluids. It could have a leak to the outside.

Can you tell me a little more about the symptoms? Does the starter turn too fast? Too slow? Normal?
>>
>>16310634
slow, like its lazy trying to start. but ofcourse thats all it does.
>>
>>16310648
Ah, slow starter motor. That sounds like either a bad electrical connection or a starter bushing. Fiddle with every connection on the starter and the battery. The ground cable, too. If those are good, you'll have to change the bushing.
That gets a little more complicated. I know that at least one of the bushings in in the starter. The other one may or may not be in the bellhousing of the transmission.
If they're both in the starter, great. Change the starter or swap it for a known-good one and be on your way. If the bushing's in the bellhousing that's a bit more difficult to change. The easiest way to change that is to put a tap in there and cut threads in the bushing. Then thread a bolt in and push it out. You'll need to hammer the new bushing in and grease it after that.
>>
>>16310681
Highly appreciate the information, if the post is still up after fiddling with it, i will post an update. Thanks again.
>>
>>16310697
Oh, hey do you have a multimeter? Put it on voltage and stick one end on the battery post and the other on the connection stud on the solenoid.
If there's more than ~3 volts difference there it's a bad connection.
Repeat that test between the negative battery post and the starter housing.
>>
>>16310718
>If there's more than ~3 volts difference there it's a bad connection.
Er, I mean, have someone crank it and look for a voltage difference while it's cranking.
Kinda critical information being left out there lol.
>>
>>16310625
Try to push start it. If that works then your starter is bad. If it doesn't something is going on fuel or compression side
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.