[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /o/. bought a beater pickup yesterday. 128k miles 4cyl 5spd.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: stopleakorwhat.jpg (67KB, 730x974px) Image search: [Google]
stopleakorwhat.jpg
67KB, 730x974px
sup /o/.

bought a beater pickup yesterday. 128k miles 4cyl 5spd. drives great, but the body is in pretty nasty shape. likely a cataract infested old timer owned it. Drove it 30 miles give or take going mostly 75mph and it drove fine. the only thing I noticed was a slow start and he said the battery needed replacing. I also noticed oil on the bottom of the truck, but he said it was the valve cover gasket and it has been sitting for 14 hours and no spots in my driveway.

basically my only real concern right now is when I pulled the radiator cap I noticed it has that brown look like some kind of additive was put in there. I squeeze the top radiator hose and feel a crunchyness like it is full of sand or dirt. It doesn't overheat and stays at the proper temp, but I'm wondering if it had a head gasket issue that was addressed with this crap and now I'm on borrowed time.

tl;dr
what is this in my radiator? will likely leave it is as and plan to replace hoses and possibly radiator/thermostat.
>>
>>16302348
God I hate stupid owners. Stop leak shouldn't be allowed on the market.

That looks like oil to me, but I don't know shit so.
>>
>>16302348
I think it is rust and sludge due to filling with tap water only -- no coolant. Hoses also get crunchy with time and calcification (tap water typically has high concentrations of calcium).
>>
>>16302348
Depends. Is the truck worth more as parts?
>>
>>16302368
BINGO

there's no additive in that you idiot, that's rusty water and bits of rust caked to the hoses. You need a radiator and some hoses. Or not. My beater has been in that same condition since I bought it. Once a year I flush and refill and unstop my heater core.
>>
>>16302372
>>16302367
>>16302348
It's just rust, you bunch of pussies.

No oil. No stop leak.
>>
>>16302392
>>16302380
My 40 year old car gets nothing but tap water and looks nothing like that.
>>
>>16302394
My 14 year old car gets nothing but tap water and looks exactly like that.
>>
>>16302348
my '99 4cyl Ranger is doing the same, i've ordered the new parts to put this to rest

just drain all the old coolant and replace the radiator and the hoses man.
>>
File: ram radiator calcium plugged.jpg (80KB, 640x361px) Image search: [Google]
ram radiator calcium plugged.jpg
80KB, 640x361px
>>16302394
real beauty is the beauty inside
>>
File: ok.jpg (2KB, 115x125px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
2KB, 115x125px
>>16302392
Well, I stuck my finger down in the radiator and it feels like it is full of caked on shit. I just don't get how thats possible with the low mileage, but I suppose age is a factor its a MY1996.

>>16302372
its a tacoma, theyre worth their weight it gold. its a poverty spec. no amenities. just the way I like it.

>>16302392
>>16302399

So the general consensus is just keep fresh coolant and maybe in a year or two go ahead and put a new radiator/hoses?
>>
>>16302419
If your heater still works, it's not that bad. I'd wait desu
>>
>>16302419
>flush the system with distilled water
>fill with half vinegar half distilled water
>let it sit overnight
>flush with distilled water x2
>fill with 50~60% coolant and distilled water mix

rinse and repeat the vinager part twice if you like.
do not heat the engine to working temperature on vinegar, just run it a few time for a few minutes to stir the mixture up.
>>
>>16302430
we never use the heater down here in ways in TX, but it was hot as hell when I turned it on just to check it.
>>
>>16302348
>radiator hose and feel a crunchyness
Why aren't you replacing all hoses?
>>
>>16302477
I plan to once I start daily driving. Gotta get my >car note
truck sold first
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.