[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spark plugs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Trying to do simple maintenance and replace spark plugs on my own. Im not good with tools but im trying.

I have a 4 cylinder car. I own a 3/8 drive ratchet. I bought a cheap 5/8 spark plug socket from harbor freight as well as a compatible extenders for the ratchet. I removed the coils (?) By just pulling them out. I can see the plugs with a flashlight and when i fit the socket over them they seem to fit. I can feel them unloosen and i keep turning the ratchet. Eventually i pull the ratcheg/extender/socket back up out of the plug well but no spark plug is on the other end! Doesnt matter how much i loosen them. What am i doing wrong. I know this is supposed to be a very easy maintenance procedure but im having trouble. I dont wang to force the socket too far down because i dont want the plugs to break and have a whole new set of issues.
>>
Does the spark plug socket have a rubber piece inside? It's a grabber to lift the spark plug out. Or try to angle the socket and pull it out.
>>
>>16300801
Yes it has the rubber bushing, i have amregular socket set but i bought this one special to do this job
>>
Any other ideas from anyone? All videos online the plug jusr magically comes out with everything else. Very confused.
>>
>>16300820
Why do you not own a magnet on a stick?
>>
>>16300820
Are you pushing down hard enough for the bushing to envelope the top of the spark plug?
>>
>>16300782
>yfw op has been tightening the whole time and stripped the spark plug threads in his head and the spark plug is just free spinning
>>
>>16300857
I dont know, like i said it is loosening it but just not coming out. How hard do you have to push so the rubber bushing is gripping the plug? I dont want to crush the porcelain
>>
>>16301092
Pull it out with a magnet noob. Holy fuck
>>
>>16301122
I dont have a telescoping magnet and besides i would like to know what i am doing wrong for future reference.
>>
>>16301160
You stripped the cylinder head. Congratulations now you found out why it won't come out
>>
>>16301092
Practice with the new plugs you have holy shit this isn't rocket science!
>>
>>16301170
I dont actually have new plugs yet i work night shift and couldnt wake up in time before the car part store closed. Will have to go in the am before i go to sleep. Wont be able to put them in anyhow if I can't get these ones out.
>>
>>16300852
take the old spark plug wire, put it on the loose plug and pull it out with the wire

if it's loose but still kinda threaded you can turn the spark plug too
>>
>>16301177
buy oem plugs, look at the manual for the parts number it will be in their. as for a loose plug in the engine use a magnet. otherwise HAND thread it back in with the socket and extension. Dont force it if its not threading in correctly simply undo it and retry again. than push the socket into it. alternatively u can remove the rubber piece and insert it again but lower to grad the plug
>>
>>16301179
Alright I will try this, thanks
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.