[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cruiser cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Hey /o/, my commute is pretty long because I'm a yokel and I'm looking for a comfortable car to cruise around in(i also take long road trips quite often)
After some research I ended up with:
>saab 9-3
seems unreliable as fuck
>volvo s60
looks comfy, volvo has a good reputation

Is the s60 the best option in this class(comfy cruiser, does not have to be luxury) or should I look at some other brand?

Pic related, some s60 i found on the internet, price is low so there must be something wrong with it, i'm looking for more around me
I'm looking to spend 5 or 6k shekels on a used one
>>
>>16291570
I got a S40 2.4i 2004.5 for $7.5k a couple years ago

Nothing but little problems, oil trap fucked out, sunroof drain hoses came out, expansion tank disentergrated, battery went flat randomly

Not bad compared to a yota or some shit though

> now I've got a '82 244 and its fucken sweet, no issues at all
>>
>>16291617
Well, are there any modern(post 2000) cars that don't suck ass? Its not about cost of repairs, its about losing your time wrenching it daily(because a new thing breaks every day) or taking it to a shop all the time(and being stuck with either my shitbox or a borrowed car from the stealership)
>>
Fiance's old '04 S60 felt pretty worn out by 115k. Interior trim flaking and failing, cracked leather, SRS airbag light and dash info display in permanent epilepsy (bad solder joints I'm told). Driver's side window regulator broke (cheap enough to fix, but need VIDA to reprogram auto-up level). Front end had already needed some work (tie rod ends) and the spring isolaters had failed I think, causing a rattle over bumps. On the positive side, the paint was of excellent quality and very durable. Underside there wasn't a lick of rust. The seats were some of the best I've ever sat in. Fuel economy with the 2.4i motor was pretty good, especially on the highway. The way it tracked down the highway at higher speeds was impressive. Between the comfy seats and that surefootedness, the car absolutely gobbled up highway miles. Oh the rear seat is tiny, less room than a freaking Civic.

So as long as you're willing to tinker with a few things (VIDA diagnostics would be a must-buy IMO) or have a good Volvo indie guy around, they're alright. Avoid anything pre-04 like the plague, those have premature wearing transmissions due to a stupid programming issue, as well as some throttle body problems from what i understand that were fixed on later cars.

Overall I wouldn't really associate Volvo's reputation earned with the old boxy RWD cars which were much more DIY friendly, with the newer FWD stuff, especially not the Ford era P2 cars when they went to a CANBUS electrical system and all that jazz.

I'd recommend an older Toyota Avalon for comfy worry free cruising on a budget. $5-6k should get you a really nice early-mid 00s model with a ton of life left in it. Just change the oil regularly and keep the timing belt job in mind if it's due. Perhaps you'll miss out on the Swedish seats, but you'll get a car that wears like iron and is comfy as hell (softer riding than Volvo for sure).
>>
Just realized you're probably in Euro-land. Hmm not sure what to recommend then, and perhaps a Volvo makes more sense if there's more people over there that work on them and parts are perhaps more affordable.
>>
>>16291978
>premature wearing transmissions due to a stupid programming issue
Why would there be a computer in a car's transmission though?
>>
>>16291570
Pick up the best running 325e you can. Make sure timing belts been done recently and it'll be just if not more reliable than any used car under 7k. That is if you like e30s of course. The 325e is a cheaper, better mpg option of e30s made for cruising and highways
>>
>>16291981
Yes, i'm an europoor
Well, Volvo is not a top selling brand because of how poor the average european person is(even in Germany/France) but parts are not rare(I order online anyway, cheaper than autonigger shops and stealerships)
>>16292215
E30 seems a bit old for me, but they are the best looking BMWs(and were not yet overeengineered POSmobiles)
I'm looking into an E36 320d right now, a good one from this decade goes under 7k, might accept some dings and scratches and get a 5k one, my father in law has one of these and they are pretty great
>>
>>16292226
E46 fuck me

Anyway, BMWs are cheap in europe, and rather reliable(but costly to repair)
>inb4 e46
>>
>>16292197

The aisin transmission is plenty reliable as evidenced by it's later implementation in those very same Volvos. The issue arose from how they programmed the automatic to (I think) shift into neutral when the car was standing in Drive (brakes applied), to save fuel by reducing drag. Transmissions were failing by 100k or so. Removed the "feature" and everything is back to normal. This obviously does not affect the stick shift version.
>>
>>16293098
>automatic

If you drive an automatic you should probably be on a bus
>>
>>16293158
Kys
>>
S60 is ok but not very comfy
best cheap comfy car is probably the E39 if you are in europe
>>
>>16293158

You sound poor and/or are an edgy teenager
>>
>>16293197

"cheap"

To buy perhaps, but certainly not to keep on the road as it empties your wallet for constant repairs.
>>
>>16293158
I like stick too anon but autos are ok too. Wouldn't want a manual if you drove an old el dorado, would you.
>>
>>16293197
I completely disagree. My NA S60 was very comfortable with the base seats, that was always the first thing people noticed about the car. Swapping in a pair of sport seats from a T5 only made it more comfortable. The previous owner of my S60R has offered to buy the car back from me multiple times because he and his wife don't find their brand new BMW X5M to be even close in comfort levels.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.