[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fieros

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

Are fieros worth it? They are all over and cheap as dirt in my area. Do they handle well? Are they quick? Dorifto? How fast will they set me on fire? How long can this thread go before body kits are brought up?

Please discuss.
>>
>>16290654
The fires were a 1 model year only problem and all fixed under recall. They are no more likely to catch on fire than any other 30 year old car at this point.

The 88s handle great, the 84-87s have a compromise rear suspension geometry that gets squirrelly during midcorner deflections. The aftermarket fix is like $400.

They are very slow by modern standards.

They will kill you if you try to drift, the wheelbase is very short and they have a significant rear weight bias.

I like Fieros, they aren't for everyone. With a good engine swap, they can be made into very well balanced and agile sports cars, with a bad engine swap they are a redneck, poorly handling, Porsche 930 turbo in terms of dangerous to drive.

They have a very strong space frame, they are the second safest car of the 1980s, behind only the Volvo 700 series.
>>
>>16290710
A good engine swap is a Quad 4 out of a Jbody or a NA ecotech, a bad engine swap is anything heavier than an Iron Duke (3800 SC, V8, etc).

Also note that Pennocks Fiero Forum has documented just about every single thing you can swap into a Fiero, including Jag and BMW V12s.
>>
>>16290710
Pretty much all of this is true except the danger bit. I had one with a 3800 supercharged and 235's all around. Understeer is quite prevalent at speed. You really gotta push before it gets away from you.
>>
would it be retarded to put a 4age in a fiero?

i mean it basically makes it an mr2 but just wondering how that would work.
>>
>>16290738
well it would be spending money to make a worse car

of course it would be retarded

if you want to swap in a Jap engine use a K series or something
>>
>>16290710
>>16290725
WEW this answered all my questions, thanks bud.
>>
>>16290738
>4age
It'd cost more and be a more difficult swap than an LD4 or L61 Ecotech.

And if you want to spend more to do an oddball 4 cyl, try and find a W41 Quad 4. It's an Oldsmobile engine that made 190 horsepower out of 2.2 liters, stock, in 1991. It was a sales failure, and made GM give up on good 4 cyls for almost 12 years, but they made that power breathing through restrictive early 90s tech cats and stuff, the SCCA version of the Olds Cutlass Calais 4-4-2 was made to breath through a restrictor plate to keep it class competitive, gutting the cats, giving it better valve springs, tuning it rich, and raising the rev limiter can get you above 275 horsepower on race gas, without any other mods. They make a hellacious noise, too. Those Oldsmobiles won their class 4 years running.
>>
>>16290738
>not swapping to a pontiac SD4
>2.7l for 272 or 3.2l for 330hp
>from a 4 banger pontiac
shit's neat
>>
>>16290812
Ha, and I thought I was off the wall telling him to try and find a W41 LD4. That SD4 is a race only motor, and it's rare as balls. I can find one that's sold in 2016. I can't find any that are for sale right now, except for Nick Arias's mutant new production shit (3200 just for the block, no head, no guts, no shit).
>>
>>16290811
You pay a premium for that engine because boomers like to put it in their period replicas and the like since the valve cover makes it look like it's out of a 1960's formula car.
>>
>>16290850
kek true. Honestly, an ecotech or LSJ would be bretty neat.
>>
>>16290851
Yeah, but then you've got a Fiero that has an engine bay that wouldn't look out of place in a Formula 1 garage.

Not all things boomers like are shit, the W41 Quad 4 is fucking legit.

Especially free'd up and on a 98 octane or 110 octane tune.
>>
>>16290881
Finding a legit W41 engine is rare as fuck, The best thing you can do is get one of the 180 HP high output Quad 4's, then swap in the W41 camshafts and the W41 specific ECU chip. IIRC, they're still available from GM. The camshafts and ECU chips was all that separated the W41 from a standard high output engine.
>>
>>16290897
>Finding a legit W41 engine is rare as fuck,
They sold 1280 W41 cars over 3 years.

And they sold W41 crates until 1999.

I've seen two real ones, 3 that were probably just LG0s made into clones.

Hell, an LG0 is a rare motor these days.
>>
>>16290654
> mid-engine car for drifting

why don't you do some learning ok
>>
>>16290654
>Dorifto?
No. You're more likely to kill yourself attempting it.
Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgHYe6KKzg
and this link will skip to the spot showing why drifting it isn't a good idea.
https://youtu.be/-GgHYe6KKzg?t=14m59s
>>
File: original.jpg (178KB, 600x946px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
178KB, 600x946px
How bad would a 400 sbc fuck up the transaxle whatchamacallit these things have?
>>
>>16295099
You'll start snapping axle shafts somewhere around 450 ft lbs, if you hook like mad. Stronger axle shafts can be had made by sectioning the axle shafts from a Saab 9-5.

But if you've got the 5 speed getrag, the axles will break before the box, and if you want a really strong transaxle, a Getrag F23 out of a early 00s Cavalier will take north of 500 foot lbs with stock internals. Auto trans are much weaker.

If you use manifolds or tight wrap headers, it's not even that hard to make them fit, the biggest trouble is making or finding an adapter plate/spacer to convert your Chevy V8 bell housing to a GM Transverse V6 Bell Housing, and space your engine off the bellhousing far enough to clear the thicker longitudinal flywheel.

Or you can get an LS4 5.3 out of a Grand Prix GXP or Monte Carlo/Impala SS, and a Spec adapter flywheel.

Strongest auto transaxle you can fit in a Fiero would be the TH425, but that'd orient the engine longitudinally, and require more clearance than exists stock, for the front of your V8, though it fits nice with a Buick 3.8 Turbo out of a GNX.

Second strongest would be a 4T80HD out of a Bonneville GTP/Cadillac DTS.
>>
>>16290727
Did you never get an upgraded rear sway?

The 3800 swaps I've driven were always neutral under maintenance throttle, but had terrible lift off oversteer.
>>
>>16295099
If you're going to do a V8 swap, it's generally recommended you swap to the F40 6 speed manual from the Pontiac G6 GTP. There are adaptor plates to bolt an SBC or LS to the transmission. If the F40 can deal with an AWD turbocharged V6 (in Saab's) making well over 300 HP, it can deal with a SBC or an LS.

>>16295261
>Getrag F23
The one with the proper bolt pattern were only in 2000-2002 Cavaliers with the 2.2L pushrod 4 cylinder, not the 2.2L ecotec or the 2.4L Quad 4. just something to keep in mind. Fortunately, the pushrod 2.2L was the most popular version.
>>
>>16295269
>The one with the proper bolt pattern were only in 2000-2002 Cavaliers with the 2.2L pushrod 4 cylinder
Yeah, and a good condition core at a junkyard is $130 because it was the most durable part of the whole car, and GM sold a bajillion of those Cavaliers and Sunfires.
>>
>>16295278
one of the most durable parts. the 2.2L 2200 I4 was damned near indestructible.
>>
File: 1475014129996.png (355KB, 896x560px) Image search: [Google]
1475014129996.png
355KB, 896x560px
>>16293460
There are mid-engine cars that are good at drifting, they just need to be well balanced.
>>
>>16295506
None of the MRs that can drift acceptably have a wheel base as short as a Fiero's.

Generally they've got a long wheel base and a long, longitudinal mount motor, and less rear weight bias than a Fiero or AW11.
>>
>>16295506
Both the Fiero and MR2 are pretty well balanced sports cars. The problem is that both have absurdly short wheelbases. With such a short wheelbase and such a rear-biased center of balance, it's not going to happen. The problem is the length of the wheelbase, not how "well-balanced" it is or isn't.
>>
>>16290654
Is that a mr2 with a body kit?
>>
>>16295577
No, better. It's a Fiero without a body kit.
>>
>>16290654
You fucking retard.

That's a ferrari.
>>
>>16295506
You're retarded if you think the short wheelbase won't affect its ability to drift.
>>
File: IMG_20160904_171656.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160904_171656.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>16295264
Nope. I did have practically non functioning rear brakes. And it was an 84 so garbage suspension.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.