[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car of Theseus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

If a car's parts are replaced one by one over a period of a few years to the point where every single piece of the car has been replaced, is it still the same car?
>>
>>16289664
All of the cells in your body get replaced every 7 years or so, are you still the same you?
>>
>>16289664
are you going to replace the frame and vin?
>>
>>16289670
What about your brain cells.
Those don't get replaced.
>>
>>16289664
If every part is replaced with OEM or OEM equivalent parts then yes.

Any parts that improve the car don't make it the same car, it makes it a modified car.
>>
>>16289664
Who cares if it's the same car, it's still YOUR car.
>>
>>16289696
this, a new part of the car becomes a part of the whole

>replace ps pump
>i drive "x" car with a reman power steering pump

nah cunt, you still are driving your car
>>
Body makes the car. Swap the unibody (or just body if body on frame) and you've transferred all the parts over to a different car.
>>
>>16289682
exactly. replacing anything with the VIN on it is illegal so yea, still the same car.
>>
>>16289823
my trunk lid has the vin on it though
>>
>>16289827
You better have a harmonica up your ass then
>>
If it becomes unrecognizable from the original car's model capability then it is not the same car. For instance making a Twingo a RocketCar.
>>
>>16289664
>If a car's parts are replaced one by one over a period of a few years to the point where every single piece of the car has been replaced, is it still the same car?
The laws vary. In many countries, it is considered a modified car.

In the USA, provided that they are the same (OEM) parts then it is still the same make and model car. This is why some car restorers will buy rusted old junkpiles as long as the VIN plate is intact. They are buying it for the VIN.

However, the question as asked by OP was very sloppily worded. If anyone with a precise knowledge was to answer, the only correct answer that would cover all situations imposed by the question would be "NO". The way that OP sloppily asked the question forces the answer to be "NO".
>>
>>16289664
>junkyard 5.3 swaps
>after many years, have blown up 6 motors in the same car
>my car is now David Rockefeller
>>
>>16289827
>trunk lid has the vin on it

Anti-theft. It keeps chop shops from cutting up a car and selling high demand parts. It's OK to replace doors, trunk lids, etc. with VIN marked parts as long as you have documentation as to where you acquired them.

If you buy parts at the pick-n-pull, have them put the VIN on your receipt.
>>
>>16289679
/Thread
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.