[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/o/ brain trust: crystal ball edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (3MB, 1696x954px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1696x954px
My mom's XJ has been making this fucked up noise for a long time and she's been asking me to do something about it

Replaced (with great effort due to rust) both front wheel bearings and front axle u joints last year with Timken bearings and moog ujoints

The noise is an intermittent click or pop generally when accelerating or turning

I suspect at some point the vacuum disconnect for the 4wd went bad and she drove around on a locked front axle and grenaded the spider gears.

In the interest of simply masking the problem (since I'm sure that replacing spider gears and fixing the disconnect would only reveal a bevy of new and frustrating issues with the front axle), would popping the front cover off and taking the center pin and removing the spiders make the noise go away? I'm thinking just buying a ZJ or scrap XJ front axle might end up being easier...
(not a pic of the car)
>>
Anyone? Or is this board just full of useless shitposting canadians?
>>
File: 1471466060114.jpg (37KB, 320x314px) Image search: [Google]
1471466060114.jpg
37KB, 320x314px
>>16286202
why even waste the time trying to nigger rig it. If you wanna fix it fix it. If not then just leave it as is and tell you mom to wear ear plugs or turn up the fucking radio.
>>
>>16286207
car making shitty noises panics her even if i tell her its nothing because she doesn't have that much faith me in as a mechanic, or at least as a car diagnostician
>>
>>16285767
did you replace the u-joints in the front axle itself or the driveshaft to the front axle?
>>
>>16286282
the actual joints in the axle

I did lie, I did one myself and let my mom's mechanic do the other one because I ran out of time at work from all the torching it and pressing it took to get the shit apart in the first place
>>
>>16286290
just checking.
I'm gonna ask the really obvious question here: are the rubber suspension bushings in good shape?
if they are it's definitely worth pulling the diff cover and taking a look in there. another thing to check is the pinion bearings in the diff.
>>
This is gonna sound silly but did you lube and grease all your shit?
>>
>>16286313
bearings are sealed and the moog ujoints i got came pregreased and I believe they were the no maintainence kind w/o a grease fitting

its a very intermittent noise, but it happens on almost every drive and there had been other shitty noises from what i thought was the front diff so I really wouldn't be surprised if its metal bit gumbo in there

I just really don't want to have to pull the axles again to fuck with it, but I suppse I might have to.
>>
>>16285767
did you drive the car, and hear the noise before tearing into it?
>>
>>16286416
>no maintainence kind w/o a grease fitting

you got had. every time I used those """no maintenance"""" greaseless anything they've always failed on me within a year.

I redid the entire front end one time with that stuff, and 9 months later the lower ball joints were already too far gone to even get an alignment.

check those things you've replaced.
>>
Something like that going to be tough to nail down without seeing it.

Ive had multiple old jeeps from the 90s and they all made weird pops anf clicks. I fixed what was necessary and didn't waste my time chasing the noises.

I doubt your spider gears have grenaded, the noise and issues wood be worse than an intermittent pop.

It really sounds like a suspension or joint somewhere is going bad. Check all the hidden bushings like on the track arm that aren't as obvious as others.

If it was a differential issue, im 99% certain you would notice it on every turn.
>>
And ditto what everybody else said about greasing your joints.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.