[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is skipping gears bad for gearbox?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: stylized-moon-254476-500-363.jpg (93KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
stylized-moon-254476-500-363.jpg
93KB, 500x363px
Is skipping gears bad for gearbox?
>>
It can lug the engine (low oil pressure) if your revving low enough.
>>
I usually go from 4 to 6 if I'm doing a hard pull in 4th and my rpm is high.
>>
Short answer: no.
Longer answer: it can be bad if you, say, went from the top of 2 to 5. That would simply where your synchro a little more. And like other anon said don't shift into an rpm range that would hurt the engine.
So basically let the revs fall before you skip gears and don't lug the engine.
>>
>>16277464
How about starting from a stop in 2nd?
>>
>>16277289
If you are at the correct rpm for that gear then it's fine.

If you are bogging the fuck out of the engine, no it's not ok.
>>
>>16277362
This.
The engine also wrecks itself at idle (low oil pressure) so I hold the engine at 2000 rpm at every stop light.
>>
>>16277795
would also like to know
>>
>>16277906
I hold it at 3.5k just to make sure
>>
>>16277795
Then you're wearing the clutch out because you have to hold it longer for the wheels to speed up. Again won't damage anything unless you lug the engine, just wears your clutch faster.
>>
>>16278371
Thats right!!!11 And you better not lug that engine. Because thats the worst thing you can do for your engine.
You must believe me because I'm posting anonymously on the internet and don't cite any sources.
>>
>>16278358
>not holding it at redline to keep the oil flowing optimally leaving no room for buildup
the only problem is civics keep speeding off when the light goes green for some reason, can't figure out why
>>
>>16278387
Damn, salty.
I'm not saying lugging the worst thing you can do. Just that its not good for it. What source would I cite? It's common sense you'll burn your clutch out if you hold it between engaged and disengaged for extended periods of time.
>>
>>16277289
Harsher on the synchros but not really. At most pop the stick into the skipped gear for a split second without re-engaging the clutch.
>>
>>16278421
yeah sure whatever.
you don't need to justify yourself to me mate.
>>
>>16278387
>letting your engine bang away like sledgehammers because poor lubrication is okay because i'm a boomer that thinks everything on the internet is wrong.

I don't mind what you do, that's fine but you surely can't think that lugging is good for an engine?
>>
>>16278514
Haha damn mommy didn't give you any tendies tonight huh? It's okay bud
>>
>>16278371
Thanks for the info.
>>
>>16277289

No. Some Corvettes have internal gates that force you to go from 1st to 4th.

>>16277795
How about starting from a stop in 2nd?

Not having enough torque to destroy the tires in 2nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0pA8HHaGNE

0:40
>>
>>16278592
You have no idea what you're talking about
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.