[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trucks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1853.jpg (638KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1853.jpg
638KB, 1600x1200px
How does /o/ feel about trucks?

I am considering a truck as a third vehicle, I test drove the RAM 1500 and absolutely loved it.

How are trucks with 4WD compared to SUVS with AWD? Especially in snow?

Example cars: Dodge RAM 1500 to maybe Acura MDX, or Chevrolet Tahoe?

I just like the secure feeling of the truck and SUV, and they're more comfortable for a long distance commute for me

Thoughts?
>>
>How are trucks with 4WD compared to SUVS with AWD? Especially in snow?

They don't compare, trucks are better in the snow. Real 4x4 with a real transfer case is better than most "awd" systems, bonus points for locking diffs. Trucks have better ground clearance and can actually stand a chance of getting out when they slide into a ditch, while a haldex system shits it's self.

inb4 bro trucks in the ditch

Those guys are probably running hard ass summer mud tires, 12 inches of lift doesn't help the situation.
>>
>>16257513
Don't buy a dodge. I beg of you, buy something else.
>>
>>16257513
>I am considering a truck as a third vehicle

Why do you want a third vehicle? Unless you have unnecessary money, this is a waste in my book.

What are your other two vehicles?
>>
File: IMG_20161118_154441527.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161118_154441527.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
>>16257612
I have a truck as a 3rd vehicle. Nothing wrong with that. And just bought another one because I can.
>>
In snow that requires 4x4 you're probably going to see that a couple days a year. Buying real snow tires will be cheaper than the added cost of 4x4 and you'll get better mileage than dragging the transfer case and driveshafts with you.

I can't count the number of 4x4 trucks and SUVs I've passed in the ditch with my peg leg 2wd Ranger with Blizzaks.
>>
Would getting a Suzuki Samurai (1995) as a DD pay off?

I'm a bikefag, but my KLX150 doesn't quite cut it in terms of space and protection from the elements.
>>
AWD is basically 2wd until the computer notices wheel slip, it will then engage the other wheels. Modern AWD will try to send power to individual wheels at its own discretion. For the most part it will work for normal snow. Real 4x4 you can do so much more extreme levels.

GM has a cool 4x4 system called All-Trac. You push the button and its 2wd until it knows you need it. The difference is its a true 4x4 system, with available electronic lockers (I doubt you'll get or need this option for a Tahoe). It's the convince of AWD with the usability of 4x4.
>>
>>16257598

Yeah I run winters on every car, and I'm talking the best winters I can find when I want to change over, so that won't be a problem

>>16257610

Why not? I like their suspension, looks so good

>>16257612

13 Sonata, 15 Camry

Used to have a van but now missing the utility and high seating

>>16257660

Yeah tires are important but having the capabilities for anything is nice too, I can get through fine with my cars but I want something even better

>>16257831

Interesting I'll look into it then, should be in the GMC Yukon or Denali
>>
>>16257610
Is it because of tranny problems?
5.7 hemis are easily one of my favorites. An aftermarket tranny would probably solve that if/once they go bad. If not, the new 8speed is supposed to be good. Manual trannies would probably last longer anyways.

But the 5.7 tundra drives about the same though.
>>
>>16259312
While the Hemi itself has problems with breaking valve springs and then dropping valves, or dropping valve seats themselves due to weak-ass interference fit that's not even half as tight as what everybody else in the industry uses, the main thing is the truck itself just falls apart at a rate faster than you can keep up.

Except for catastrophic failures the trucks usually don't stop running but have constant bullshit with HVAC failures, window regulators, steering hoses, ball joints, and on and on in a never ending shitstorm that either leaves you broke from trying to keep up or with a worthless POS truck that nothing works on anymore. The old line the diesel guys use, "Great engine, too bad about the truck", is as true for the gassers as it is for the diesels but you don't get the legendary engine with a gasser.
>>
>>16257771
A sammi is great for around town, maybe a short trip on the interstate (like 2-3 miles).

As for OP. I love the look of dodges, but they're the least reliable thing out there. The only thing that kept the truck line afloat was the Cummins.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.