[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on the Taco

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_20161202-190354.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161202-190354.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
Ok /o/, I've reluctantly swallowed the reality pill and have given up my dream of daily ingredients a classic car. But now I have 2 options in front of me that I'm considering.

1: Buy a 2017 Tacoma for 22-24k. 4cyl, 6spd auto, 2wd, extended cab, 18-23mpg. I can afford it, but it's more than I'm comfortable with due to car note and insurance (granted when I was looking at a classic, It was actually going to be very cheap). I know it's responsible, it'll be reliable, and it's decent on gas. But I'm worried I'll out grow the 4cyl and be stuck with it for years to come along with eating into my monthly budget.

I test drove it, it's definitely a nice truck, but it didn't make me smile.

This is option 1
>>
File: Screenshot_20161202-190828.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161202-190828.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
Option 2 is I throw 2k into my shit box silverado to make it more reliable and keep it as a rainy day/weekend warrior truck and buy a 201X Honda Fury.

1300cc, awesome looks. 2017 is 10k, but I've found the from 2013 for 5500 or 2016 for 7500. It would be my daily rider except for bad weather or when I need to run errands. I am an avid rider, so a bike isn't new to me. But I know it's not the more responsible move.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161202-190347.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161202-190347.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
About me. 22 male, e3 in the coast guard. Will either live on/off base; more than likely on the Gulf Coast so winters aren't an issue. This would all be after basic.
>>
Basically; due I bite the bullet and be an adult even though it doesn't make me happy and financially hurts a bit more, or do I go for what will make me happier even though it's not as responsible? Red pill me on both.
>>
>>16256522
Keep/fix the truck for now and get your Elco in a couple years.
>>
>>16256554
The thing is the truck may last if I drive it once a week, but not daily sadly...

And glad I'm becoming memorable haha
>>
>>16256580
Why wouldn't it? What's wrong with it?
>>
>>16256511
You're already an E3 but you havent been through basic? The Fuck?

Anyways... none of the above.
1.An as an E3 you shouldn't be getting anything that expensive anyways.
2. If the weather's bad you have to be able to rely on your truck to get you to work. Your leadership is only going to except the "my car broke down" excuse so many times.

The Tacoma's a great choice, but look for a used one closer to around $15k. Once you've lived with that for a while then you can look at your finances and see if you can't afford a bike.

Jr enlisted are usually way too eager to throw their money around and end up regretting it later. If you're patient you'll be able to get a less expensive but reliable vehicle and save up to get a motorcycle before you know it.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161202-190343.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161202-190343.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>16256645
13 year old truck with 150k miles and GM electrical gremlins. I'm sure it'll run forever, just not good. Plus 13mpg, so I need something with better mpgs.
>>
>>16256830
College degree starts you off as in e3, and this is all for after basic, so hence e3 pay.

I do understand that they throw money around because they want the flashy sports car or 40k truck. But I do need something more reliable and better mpg. I know I know, 3k civic... but I have some money to put down, and I feel like treating myself a bit and thus the newer vehicle. I mean I'm not going for a sport car or anything; it's a choice between a 4cyl taco that I'll keep for 15 years or a cheap bike while I keep my shit box for the next few years.
>>
File: taco taco taco.gif (3MB, 128x96px) Image search: [Google]
taco taco taco.gif
3MB, 128x96px
>>16256474
why aren't you getting the V6 4wd?
>>
>>16256923
Cause it's about 30k vs the 22k.
>>
So any input on the 4cyl tacos or Honda Fury?
>>
>>16256963
We had this discussion on the old, old /ORG/

See:
>>16224728

And the subsequent posts:
>>16224770
>>16231612
>>16231654
>>16231664
>>16231705
>>16231729
>>16231778

Good luck, anon. And perhaps consider maybe a Ranger or S10 or Colorado as a cheaper and as reliable alternative.
>>
I highly doubt the Ranger or Colorado will be as reliable.
>>
>>16257068
Regarding reliability, why do you say that?

What about the Mazda B3000? :^)
>>
>>16257076
Let's be honest, Toyota is the most reliable brand out there. (It pains me to say that since I love cheby)
>>
>>16256912
Treating yourself is totally fine, just as long as you understand that as an E3 a $400 car payment is a really bad idea.
>>
>>16257100
Well otay. It also has the most selection of offroad parts outside of North America.

That being said, you still find stock Rangers going strong on 300 000+ with limited axle and chassis rebuilds and S10s holding up the same (as long as they're treated well with limited body rust).
If you want to pay the extra for a new Taco, that's your perogative. And you'll be pretty happy when it retains value down the line (especially if you get the V6). However, the Ranger and S10 have one of the best reliability despite their namesakes and one of the last true truccs out there.

If I "needed" to get a new, modern trucc, it would be the Tacoma offroad trim, as well.
>>
>>16256867
What kind of electrical gremlins? The only gremlin in my parents old 150k astro was a intermittent dim radio display. 6k buys a ton of gas. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>16257127
>trucc
do you think you're being cute, you fucking faggot?
>>
File: cleric eats bananer.jpg (59KB, 514x569px) Image search: [Google]
cleric eats bananer.jpg
59KB, 514x569px
>>16257179
Yes! ^__^
>>
>>16257124
With my down payment and a 72 month plan, I'm looking a 250 payment.

>>16257128
I've had to replace wiring harnesses, ignition coils, computer has melted on me, power locks don't work, driver door sensors don't work, and I've had to replace the clutch pedal twice.
>>
>>16257397
Plus tail gate handle has broken 3 times, heater core connectors, and all the cab mounts are shot due to a tbone.

Surprisingly no rust or leaks. Mechanically it's sound, just everything else isnt.
>>
>>16256474
>Redpill me
stop this faggotry
>>
>>16257442
You stop your faggotry
>>
>>16256830
If he took rota you start as an e3 (e2 in Muh corps) college would be an o1. But op get a taco from the 90s. The engines are bullet proof and get the same mpg as new ones for 3k vs 22k.
>>
>>16257442
Redpill me on this faggotry
>>
>>16257410
>buying a crashed vehicle
you got what you deserved bro.

scrap it and buy a vehicle outright with your 5-6k. what's your local craigslist? how long until basic is over?
>>
>>16257507
You only start as an o1 if you go to OCS, I just enlisted.

>>16257532
I didn't buy a crashed one? I owned it when it got wrecked.
>>
>>16257532
I leave for basic on the 6th. Houston CL. I can't see myself trading my truck for something older with just as many miles. I don't necessarily like the taco, I just accept that is a good vehilce. But if I get the bIke, the truck is just a back up so I won't be too concerned about it.
>>
>going to college
>joining the military
>buying a brand new stripper fleet vehicle that you can't afford on a 72 month loan
Sounds like you have it all covered, just make sure to get married and have kids asap too
>>
>>16257670
Yeah, went to college and got a stem field degree in anew area that'll never go out

Joined the military for job training and to do something interesting.

Considering buying a reliable vehicle for the next 10 years is wrong? I can afford it, but it goes into my excess money and I'm a little iffy because I want to save as much of my paycheck as possible?

Fuck off with that kids shit. If I wanted to spend 100k with no return, I'll go to Vegas.

Have fun with your 3k civic and job at McDonalds in your home town.
>>
>>16257710
The irony is you couldn't even afford a 3k Civic because of your poor decision making skills, and instead are looking to go into debt to buy the cheapest possible new car, yet another bad decision. I daily ingredients a classic btw, it's great, hopefully after 15 years of training you can land a job allowing you to do the same. Let's be honest here anyway, you didn't make this thread to listen to any advice, you'll just ignore anything that doesn't agree with your (or get defensive about it) and end spending 5x too much for a shitty truck at some point no matter what.
>>
>>16257666
here you go man. offer him 6k. you have you classic and truck all in one.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5902211183.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5902429670.html
can't tow much but it'll move house and carry a bike or pull a jet ski if you get one in the future.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5898367673.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5869116158.html
>>
>>16257759
>buying a used shitheap that you repair every few months is better than buying a new car that would not have any major problems over the next several years
yeah okay kid
>>
>>16257100
Really sick of this Toyota is reliable meme. They had cars going full throttle by themselves and everyone just forgets about it. You're considering a useless 2wd sub 200hp "truck" because of muh reliability instead of buying a real truck because you're so mechanically inept and base your opinions from Consumer Reports.
>>
>>16257770
I have a Tacoma, it rarely needs repairs (just a windshield lately), kind of like how a 17 Taco would be, except I didn't pay 3x what it's worth because I can actually afford to buy a car outright, and added bonus: it's not a shitty 4 banger base model.
>>
>>16257759
How could I not afford a 3k civic? At 22 I've got good credit, a degree, 10k in the bank, and already contracted into a good career. 4 years is just a vacation for me before I go into civilian career. I made this thread because I wanted opinions on the 2017 Tacoma or the fury, not told to buy a 90s model or another shit box. I can afford new with no problem, but why waste money? Yes the truck is base and simple, but that's all I need. The bike is flashy, but the makes me happier at the cost of being responsible.

What do you drive and what do you just out of curiosity?
>>
>>16256830
Lmao people on the US army get paid 25k?
>>
>>16257763
I do like square bodies, but a c30 with a 5.7 will suck gas down. But they are on my list of vehicles to own when I'm more established.

Not a Ranger or Frontier fan, and the Chevy is just an older version of my truck.

But I do appreciate the input about things. I've stopped fooling myself that I need a massive v8 truck, but the low Ranger and frontiers are just a bit too small.
>>
>>16257846
You might can afford the new truck but why pay the depreciation.

buying used almost always saves money. especially on more base trucks. it's the 4-door v6 ones that really hold their value.
>>
>>16257781
My dad's 98 taco with 200k miles, covered in dents from a hail storm, and it's only been in the shop once for a cat replacement would speak otherwise to the reliability. I'm plenty good at wrenching, but I'm tired of nanny computers and plastics (which are a PITA to fix)
>>
>>16257846
If you have 10k in the bank buy an 8k previous gen Taco V6 extra cab. In 5 years it will still be worth 6k minimum. In 5 years the 22k truck, which you also pay interest and have to pay for full coverage on, might be worth 9k at best since nobody wants a fleet spec truck. I'm not sure if they teach you math in Stems School but seems like an obvious decision to buy an older Tacoma. I work at Mcdonalds and have an 04 Taco Prerunner, 64 Mercury Comet, 74 FJ40, and a 69 Yamaha DT1, going to look at an 840ci on Sunday if I can make time. Saved a lot of money never moving out of my home town.
>>
>>16257792
Granted the only reason I'm considering the 4cyl because that's what was in the lot at its like 6k cheaper. Is the 4cyl really that bad for a daily commuter to occasionally throw shit in the bed? I don't haul trailers or load the bed up with pipe, but I do enough stuff to justify a bed.
>>
>>16257869
Don't really care about depreciation since I plan on keeping the truck till it falls apart (or sell it to my dad in 5 years for cheap). Sadly the 2017 is the only year that I can stand the looks of apart from the 80s tacomas
>>
>>16257860
Military pay does suck, but when you combine it with housing and food allowances along with benefits, it's not that bad. Especially when youre single
>>
>>16257931

Canadian army is like double why doesn't anyone even join it other than for school
>>
>>16257913
Buying new is the cuck move now matter how you slice it. Who gives a shit about the styling? They all look very similar. You can't see the outside while driving.
>>
>>16257942
Buying what doesn't make you happy is more of a cuck move. (Yes, I know the irony considering one of my problems with it).
>>
I just bought a used car and you know what? Don't treat yourself. It's a dumb idea. Buy the cheapest, most reliable shitbox you can find. I did that and I'm way happier than I was when I looked at all the new shiny shit.
>>
>>16257781
>>16257781
Troll is strong in this one but ill bite.

I own an 03 Tacoma PreRunner, v6 a/t with 216k miles.
I beat on the truck too and its still going strong so the reputation for reliability is well earned.
Had an 82 Corolla with 232k miles going strong, and before that a 94 Tercel with 236k miles.
>>
>>16256474
Why are you financing it? Just fucking lease it at that point.
>>
>>16258021
Cant lease a vehicle and keep it. That's just throwing away money. I'm financing because that's how people afford non shit boxes (unless I want to save every penny for years to come).
>>
>>16258039
You can pay for the vehicle after the lease term ends, or just get a new one. It's not throwing away money, you're literally getting transportation.
>>
>>16257995
So go for the bike then? Keep my current shit box and spend my cash on something else?
>>
>>16258043
No, if your shit box is failing buy a new shit box. Don't buy a bike unless winter won't be an issue.
>>
>>16258053
Winter is 70 degrees here. But I do need transportation on rainy days or for groceries
>>
>>16258066
Then a bike is just fine. You just buy less and wear a raincoat.
>>
Ah, Mr. Green is back with more unrealistic plans based on an unforeseen future that holds fortunes

buy a used corolla
>>
>>16258375
Jesus fuck, how is buying a base model tacoma unrealistic? I have the fucking money and my standard of living is actually increasing from when I was in college (after taxes I'll be making 3 times what I was making a month then) which I was very comfortable with.

1st it's "don't buy a classic because you asked about mpgs and they're unreliable" and now it's "don't buy new, get a shitbox ranger/civic." There is no winning with you fuckers unless I want a miata.
>>
Literally just want a opinions on the 2016/2017 tacomas with 2.7l i4 or the Honda Fury. I'll take thoughts on a 2016 Colorado with the 4cyl, but I'm weary because GM and if it follows the silverado trend, it may be cramped on the inside.
>>
>>16256511
Oh, boy.

Just wait until after you finish your first year on the job before making any big financial decisions. I knew quite a few people who have enlisted and ended up getting kicked out because they were being asshats or they got fed up with the job.
>>
>>16258740
nah, this guy pulled a crystal ball out of his ass, problem is he didn't bother wiping all the shit off of it
>>
>>16258740
Trust me, I won't be quiting. Unlike>>16258751, I actually have a plan and the responsibility and resources to see it through. I got a maritime related degree that my rate in the CG is exactly related to. So the civi career will happen. And I won't be quitting because I need the training/experience, and I'm not a little bitch like >>16258751 clearly was
>>
Bumping for real input
>>
>>16257397
>72 months
You're not going to be in the Coast Guard that long. Probably not, anyways.
It's also a long ass time to be making payments.

I don't think you can afford to "treat yourself" to a new car. Sure maybe you can make the payments but you'll likely start to question if it was worth it, and then it'll be too late because selling it will be a loss of thousands of dollars.

There are lots of good reliable vehicles out there that will last you years of low maintenance service that can be had for around 5k. Even trucks. Buy one in cash and you'll save about $100 a month just in insurance.
>>
>>16259210
Since you're being so stubborn, get the bike.
>>
>>16257902
>Works at McDonalds
>Wastes so much money on vehicles instead of investing it to become financially independent

SHIGGY doggy doo
>>
>>16259319
That's why I'm asking for input. Let's be honest, the 4cyl isn't exactly a work horse, so that's why I'd want to know input about it. A new tacoma is the only chance I'd buy one because every other one on my local cl is either 10+ years, more expensive, or a combination. I don't see the point in saving 5k on price for a 2008 taco or a 15 with 100k miles on it. So would I regret a 2.7?

This was never a thread about whether I'll be able to afford it or not (I can, I'm just being a jew and may not want to have the car note when I could've had something that made me happier for much less), but will I have buyers remorse on it.

>>16259348
How about for once in your life you contribute to something rather than being salty
>>
>>16256867
my silverado is a 2005 with 400,000km and rust cuz lol canada

speedo is broken, leaks fluids sometimes, one of the speakers is kaput

but it runs. i daily it. and it should keep running for a while.
>>
>>16259410
No doubt my silverado will run forever, it's just whether or not it'll strutt or limp for the rest of eternity. And it'll be worth any form of car note to have peace of mind that it won't leave me on the side of the road... and getting better than 13mpg would be very nice.
>>
>>16259404
The 4cyl in a 2wd is perfectly capable of moving your ass from place to place. It's a good motor, just anemic by today's standards and will struggle a little to merge on the highway. People get by with less though.
I would opt for the six cyl personally. In real life the mpgs will be about the same if you drive it with a light foot. Also get ppwer windows, life sucks not having power windows. If you can't afford that, then don't get the truck.

Not bashing on you or anything, just trying to give you good advice. You say you want to keep it till it falls apart, right? So get the one you really want and will like for the next 20 years.
>>
>>16259492
Thank you.

Sad reality check, I don't think cars come with manual windows any more. The base fleet model has power windows, mirrors, and back up camera.
>>
That gas mileage is barely better than F150s or GMs anymore. Shame.
>>
>>16259433
why are you so afraid of something old or with 100k+ miles? Stop being a faggot. My dad dailys a 2000 ranger with 225k miles. It runs perfectly fine and is in great mechanical shape. You can get a truck that's just as good. You don't need a new truck. There's plenty space in frontiers and rangers. And they have better seating positions than the tacoma
>>
>>16259509
Sounds good then. I don't think it's a great move and neither is the bike but it's not a terrible decision either, you could do far stupider things.
>>
>>16259520
Would you pay 20k for something with 100k miles? And idk if you rode in a new tacoma, but they're pretty spacey and the ride height is on par with most full sizes. My mother has a Frontier, and so did an ex, so I'm familiar enough with those to know I don't want one.
>>
File: hags.jpg (55KB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
hags.jpg
55KB, 460x259px
>>16256474
you know that classic cars only have cheap insurance if you have a real daily driver? Heggerty has a policy were if you insure a classic with them you better have an actual daily and use that classic only for recreation etc. if you get caught dailying a classic with haggerty you get in deep shit
>>
>>16259553
Going through state Farm, full coverage for a 66 el camino with a 396 for daily use was only 130 a month
>>
>>16256501
fuck all of that shit
go on CL and get a used bike, bikes are way fucking easy to work on. especially ones better than the one you've mentioned.

also your taste in bikes are awful, cruisers are slow, boring and heavy as fuck. you've obviously got some eye opening to do man.
>>
File: img_00.jpg (89KB, 540x409px) Image search: [Google]
img_00.jpg
89KB, 540x409px
>>16257397
>72 months

lmfao holy shit dude. you really are a fucking retard
>>
>>16259543
I'm not saying pay 20k for something with that many miles. I'm saying pay 6k for something with average miles per year that's clean with maintenance records.
>>
File: 309k.jpg (113KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
309k.jpg
113KB, 1280x960px
Well after contacting insurance, the monthly insurance is higher than the car note so the Tacoma is out.

Surprisingly the El camino is starting to make more financial sense! Or the bike...
>>
>>16262606
What kind of apr are you getting to finance that el camino?
>>
>>16263696
Through the dealer, 10%. Through my credit union 3%
>>
File: yesnotarot.jpg (32KB, 403x238px) Image search: [Google]
yesnotarot.jpg
32KB, 403x238px
>>16257397
>Financing your car for 6 years
>>
>>16267874
Why does /o/ freak out about that? From what I know, it's pretty common, especially when the average vehicle is 40k now.
>>
>>16268036
Common does not always mean wise.

You can get a running car that will easily last 3-5 years, maybe more, for $3000 cash, sometimes even cheaper if you look hard enough and know which ones are reliable. If you have closer to 10K, you can buy something that will last 10 years or longer with no major issues. New cars depreciate quickly and interest can really add to your monthly payment if it's above 3%.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.