[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anti-stall Clutch-less Transmission

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1480600490768.jpg (106KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1480600490768.jpg
106KB, 1024x768px
Yesterday some anon was asking about why manual cars still stall in 2016 and there was talk of clutch-less transmissions that had traditional shift patterns rather than sequential. I never got to have my word so here's my soapbox response.

>pt 1/2?
Tldr - that's an inefficient way to shift gears via an electronically controlled transmission. If you want full manual control over gears learn to clutch right and drive manual. If you want almost no control but really no work either, stay automatic. If you kind of want control but like smooth, fast shifting and don't want all that hassle of clutching, your only choice is manumatic transmissions (which are sequential).

Compare your idea to a new slot machine.
Slot machines are now activated electronically, not by cranking a manual lever. But they still have those levers as dummy cranks for "muh nostalgia" purposes only. 99% of that cranking motion is a dead zone until it gets to the part at the end that clicks the little electronic switch inside.

Same logic applies to engaging 4wd. The only option was physically yanking a lever directly connected to the 4wd components. Then electronics came along and could control the 4wd components from electrical messages sent from pushing buttons. Some people prefer the manual lever not because they enjoy yanking on a lever, but they trust manual engagement over electronic. And again, if 4wd is activated electronically, there's no point in cramming in a lever that takes up space and has the same dead zone situation as the slot machine lever, rather than a small button or dial on the dash.
>>
>>16254937

>pt 2/3
A manual transmission is just that, a strictly manual and physical means of changing gears with a lever and pedal. You can technically change gears in an automatic via lever but there is no pedal and the transmission still automatically takes care of the rest, not making it a manual transmission. Clutch-less manual shifting gearboxes (manumatic) are neither automatic or manual, but instead a hybrid. You can tell the computer what gear you want, but it still makes the final decision and does all the work.

So what's the easier and more efficient means of relaying a message to a computer, a quick button push or a lever with mostly dead zone that in the end still just pushes a buton internally? Hence buttons on f1 steering wheels and paddles on cars. Though they still make electronic lever controlled floor shifters in some cars cause once again "muh nostalgia", except they have minimal "throws" and only go up or down one gear at a time because that's normally how you shift. To make an electronic shifter that acts like a standard manual pattern would not only require more components but would inherently have much unnecessary dead space, lengthening shift times and defeating the purpose of fast, smooth electronic shifting. Not to mention three quick taps of the shifter or paddles would get you to your desired gear both faster and with less distraction than manually finding that desired gear.
>>
>>16254944

>pt 3/3
The only reason someone would prefer a electronic clutch-less transmission that shifts like a traditional manual is because "muh manual shifting feels", not because they actually prefer being less efficient and counter productive to the point of shifting electronically. And that wouldn't be a very good investment gamble by auto manufacturers to take that route, decreased performance and potential distraction increase vs. sales gains from almost-wannabe-manual-but-can't-keep-from-stalling bros. Further backed by the fact that manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo even though they provide usually $1.5-2k price reduction on new cars. The demand is too small, and the result would be too counter productive. There is no logical reason other than "muh shifting feels" for a patterned manumatic. end.

I don't really care if no one reads this and it 404's instantly, after all I wanted to say for the other thread to then die, I couldn't just select all and delete.
>>
Tldr

OP is a fagget
>>
tl;dr

Do they make slipper clutches for cars like they do motorcycles? (eg Rekluse)
>>
>>16255012
That's not a slipper, it's a fancy centrifugal clutch
>>
>>16254937
Holy shit op, this is the most autistic thing I have ever seen.

>starts a new thread to answer a troll question made yesterday
>literally requires 3 posts to fit the lengthy response
>brooding on any post on 4chan for longer than 5 minutes

lol.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.