[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how bad is it to change the oil and not the filter? i want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

how bad is it to change the oil and not the filter?

i want to do my oil before the weather gets too bad but filters are hard to find and i haven't got one yet
>>
Probably OK. You do have a bypass valve if the backpressure gets too high from clogging.

I do that on my dual sport motorcycle. Since it's air / oil cooled I change the 2qt of oil every 2000 miles, but the filter every other oil change.

Of course it's better to change it every time, but every other is OK. If you're clogging a pleated paper filter every oil change you have much much bigger problems.
>>
File: 1477872311986.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1477872311986.png
38KB, 499x338px
>>16251913
Idk let's think about what you just asked.

>Let's take this dirty oil out
>put in nice new clean oil
>run nice clean oil through dirty filter
>wow I just wasted 15minutes changing my oil to do it again once I buy a filter.
>>
>>16251952
i get that it's not ideal
but if i don't do it now it probably won't get done until the spring and i feel it's much worse for it to sit all winter with old oil
>>
>>16251952

If the "dirt" is in the oil filter, it's going to stay there after the new "clean" oil is added. It's just a matter of how much of the pores are clogged and how much is reduces flow. And you do have a bypass valve so you will still get oil flow.

Again, if you are clogging oil filters within a single oil change interval then something major is going wrong with your engine or intake / air filter.

I change mine every time, but skipping probably won't do harm. BMWs and Minis are running premium synthetic oils and they only change the oil and filter annually on average.
>>
>>16251960
You could drain oil. Put a sign on it that says don't fucking start me till you finish changing oil.

Or just roll with the same filter it prolly wont hurt it, but it's a bad habit and seems like a waste of time to Half ass the job.
>>
>>16251985
i didn't even think of that, yo

is there any reason why it shouldn't sit the winter with no oil?
>>
>>16251952
could you clean the filter with water and let it dry
>>
>>16251991
Not sure, I don't see why not, but I do not know.
>>
I got for the more expensive oil filters and change them every other oil change
>>
>>16251913
Bad. don't do it. just change both it's not fucking hard to find a filter.
>>
>>16251913
Filters are usually designed to be changed every other oil change. Its not a good practice but its better than leaving in old oil while you wait.
>>
>>16251952
>I dont understand how engine lubrication works the post
>>
>>16251913
You're fine OP, some manufacturers dictate that a filter is good for two oil changes.
>>
>>16251991
wait, are you saying to drain the oil, then leave it empty all winter?
>>
its fucking fine dont be a pussy
>>
>>16252978
Nothing wrong with that. But I would probably crank it a few times with spark off to build pressure and lube before actually running the engine.

Residua oil will stay coated along the walls.
>>
>>16253100
didnt mean to imply that i thought that something was wrong with doing that. i was curious if you could do that is all.
>>
>>16251913
>oil filters are hard to find and i haven't got one yet
Mail Order

>I live in a place with no mail delivery
Go to your local walmart.

>There are no stores within 20 miles that have oil filters
You must live outside of the usa

>I live on Mars (serious).
OKay, Don't know what to do about your oil filter problem then. Good luck alphonse.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.