/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Mechanic General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 234538.jpg (45KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
234538.jpg
45KB, 900x600px
Got a what I hope is a quick fix but 0 good options.
Might as well make it a home mechanic general so it's a tad more useful of a thread

>Have 05 Ford Explorer
>Several month drought finally ends and it's raining almost every day now
>Turns out I have a leak in the back, am 99% sure it's from the gasket around the window on the hatch because it looks to be in bad shape
>Also the back applique cracked as they are apparently prone to do, but I don't think it's the cause of the leak
>Want to get this fixed fairly quickly, since when it rains it leaves standing water in rear end

Option 1: Get a OEM gasket
Problem: None of the local Ford dealerships or body shops have it, and they all say they'd have to backorder it.

Option 2: Go to an auto scrapyard and try to find an similar Explorer and yank its gasket
Problem: Have to hope it's in 1 piece, and given what I'm looking for I'm expecting it to be just as bad, if not worse than the 1 I have

Option 3: Apparently the hatch on this year model is interchangeable with slightly newer ones (Gen 3 and Gen 4 allegedly have the same mounting, size, etc). Would also solve cracked panel and prevent it happening again
Problem: Not 100% sure it is that easy, will probably cost more

Option 4: Bitch on 4chan in proximity of people who know what they're doing and hope for the best
Problem: :^)

Any thoughts/suggestions?
>>
>>16249425
Do 3, then 4
>>
dry that shit out and hop in your trunk.

Have a buddy outside water the suspected leaking areas and go from there. No point in replacing random ass parts and finding out that they're not the cause of the issue.

Also if its weather stripping that's just flat and not torn, try bringing that shit back to life with Vaseline.
>>
>>16249425
here you go dumbass. it was a simple google search away.

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2008-ford-explorer/back-window-glass.html
>>
>>16249481
Will do the water hose bit when I get home. The weather strip is both flat and has a couple of tears in it though

>>16249490
That's from a Gen 4 hatch, I've got a Gen 3
The service guy at one of the Ford places said that it wouldn't be a close enough fit to not leak just as bad as it already is.
Haven't seen that site before though, so I'll scour it for a bit
>>
>>16249623
Did you read the text? Your part was the first one. And the years cover the last gen3 and gen4. Service/dealer guys don't always know what they're talking about.
>>
>>16249650
Alright, the Ford place said they did have that gasket in stock so I'll try that out after work
>>
>>16249707
You could try getting a part from a body shop too or just use them to get the part number. If the one I posted isn't right.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.