[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manifold vacuum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Z11ALvfo5oy.jpg (85KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Z11ALvfo5oy.jpg
85KB, 450x450px
Well guys I'm about loosing my mind right now. I'm the guy who's carburetor was tampered with a few days ago (choke set spring and housing completely pulled out by someone) and drove it like that for about 10 days. The car was surging in throttle and rough idling and refusing to start without some heavy throttle

After finally getting time to work on it i saw the problem and I put it back into the Quadrajet and set it to where the car can easily start on cold mornings. Set the idle speed as best I could with a photo tachometer and (gauges broken) and set the air/fuel idle screws all the way in and then turned back 2.5 turns.

It runs more or less okay not as quick and snappy as it used to be but not knocking or anything. I changed the spark plugs too since they were a little crummy and it seems to run decently, the problem is im pulling 15 on the vacuum gauge from it. I heard that normal is like 25-30?

I'm freaking out guys what the fuck is wrong? I have a mild cam, a corvette intake manifold and a roller rocker valve job done and an accel super coil. does this affect the vacuum pressure?

Also, after I changed the plugs and set the air/idle and what not while the car was running, I shut it off for something and then it wouldn't start. I could hear the starter whirring as well as the flywheel so I'm assuming I wasn't getting spark. Could this all be my coil going bad? Please help dudes
>>
Forgot to mention cars a 79 camaro with a 350
>>
I can't help, but assuming you have a th350 with it; what kinda mpgs do you get? Also, do you know your rear gears?
>>
>>16236917
Ever consider taking it to a shop? I know it goes against every fiber of your being, but sometimes it's worth the 100 bucks to have someone else fix your problems.
>>
>>16236917

fucking manifold pressure gauges that go from -inches of HG gauge to positive PSIg REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>16237050
No idea what rear gear ratio is, I was getting like around 10mpg when it was dialed in nice and neat

>>16237059
I'm taking it in tomorrow hopefully if my usual guy has enough time to get to it. I followed the technical publications and online guides as best I could but it seems those are geared towards a stock 165hp 350 which this clearly isn't. I did some more digging and apparently dudes with bigger cams pull as low as 8 on this he vacuum dial and that's fine. I'm just gonna have the dude dial it in for me again I guess

I feel like such a useless retard though, I ordered 2 books on carburetors and a book on the th350 now because I don't wanna get caught flat footed like this ever again
>>
>>16236917

Higher lift/longer duration cams fuck with the scavenging and lower vaccuum.

I have no idea how much lol
>>
>>16237059
>>16237104
I'd reccomend this. I got my motorbike carbies done for pretty cheap and its been perfect since. Just need to remember to balance the carbs before they get too far out.
>>
>>16236917
Adjust the idle mixture screws for the highest steady reading. Are you sure something else wasn't messed with?
>>
Well took her into the shop today and it turns out I did a pretty solid job of tuning the carb.... the problem is my fucking flywheel/flexplate is apparently loos maybe even cracked which is fucking everything up. Anyone dealt with this before?
>>
>>16236917
>I heard that normal is like 25-30?

29.92in-Hg is normal atmospheric pressure. A naturally aspirated engine will always read lower when operating.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.