[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Money Pit Horror Story: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 229598.jpg (56KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
229598.jpg
56KB, 900x600px
Bought the car from a dealership in 2012 with 78000 miles and now it has about 92000 miles. Everything pretty much went wrong despite the little I drove it.

I have owned the car for four years and have had close to $20000 worth of work done in terms on parts and labor I spent about $2000 (not including basic maintenance)on my own money in parts and labor not covered by my warranty. This year alone had 8K worth of parts and labor under my warranty. Also, I had $800 since owning the car in deductables. Had a new steering rack, AC unit and water pump put in after a massive coolant leak this year alone. The car is running great now and basically had an entire new front end, supercharger, gaskets and suspension in the past four years among other things but I need to sell it especially before my warranty expires.

As a recent college grad with a part time job as of now, I cannot afford this car anymore especially without a warranty. I had a repair alone that cost almost $4000 which was mainly labor in one shot which was covered by warranty but now that its expiring, I cannot handle the costs anymore. I have student loans to pay off and this car has been nothing but issues in the time I had it. Hoping to sell it soon before anything breaks. It passed inspection and is running fine after my water pump was replaced ($1000) dealership but $100 deductible.

I babied the car despite all of its problems, always used synthetic oil, premium fuel also known as 93 Octane as required, detailed it frequently and waxed once a month. Its a real head turner and looks brand new. Too bad its been nothing but problems.I will never buy a used car over 5 years old again especially with over 60K in miles are bound to have issues.

What do you guys think? Anyone else can relate? Also which site is better to sell Cars.com or Autotrader? Had too many scammers email and text me on Craigslist and refuse to use that site again.
>>
Damn you unlucky, I mob a 92 towncar. Had a couple sensors fail and needed replacing, other than that no problems. Probably Pontiac's fault. My 96 bonneville was same story, had any problem you can think of til I wrecked the bitch. Fuckin' glad that thing is dead.
>>
>Complains that wear items wear out
>Can't wrench himself on a basic ass 3800 which you can work on blindfolded they're so simple

Sounds like you need to git gud kiddo. I mean seriously I did a water pump in an hour on a 3800 for $60 myself.

My recommendation for your next car: Subaru Forester so you have room to get rammed by your boyfriend.
>>
>>16231366
You're gay as fuck dude

I bought a 21 year old Jag with almost 300,000 km and found it easy to do everything myself-and even then, there wasn't much going wrong outside of me drifting it into a curb. Nu males, I swear.

>>16231420
This, get the forester.
>>
3800 is a pos

should have got the GTO or Fox Body
>>
>>16231509
>3800 is a POS
But you're wrong kiddo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_OE3GLYac4
>>
>>16231522
>implying a stock 3800 isnt a pos
its a pos

just because dingdong in your vid there sunk alot of money into a 3800 doesnt make it a good motor

my ls1 stock would rekt its shit 300rwhp and 400ftlb
>>
>>16231509
That's funny, I had an impala with the 3800. Got the car with 115,000 miles on it, finally sold it with 289,400 on the odo. Auto trans still worked great, motor was going strong and only leaked from the valve covers once which I fixed. Only thing I ever replace was the tensioner pulley, cv axles because the boots were cracking, wheel hubs and tie rods. Beyond basic shit like belts, fluid changes and plugs it never had anything else done. Oh, I had the trans fluid changed and filter changed at 180k because factory fluid.
Friend of mine bought it off of me for $1800. He's put over 20,000 on it so far and all hes done was plugs and new wires, and changed the alternator because the bearing was beginning to make noise.
>>
>>16231538
But anon, the LS1 and entire LS series of engines are the best engines ever created, of all time

of all time!!!
>>
>>16231509
The engine is made well, but everything else on the car especially the wheel bearings and gaskets are known to fail.
>>
>>16231710
Fuck gm and their gasket issues.
>>
>>16231719
havent had any gaskit issues on my ls1 and it has 150k on it
>>
>>16231721
>works for me :)
>>
File: IMAG0027.jpg (1MB, 3693x2032px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0027.jpg
1MB, 3693x2032px
>>16231366

Total bill of recent warranty repair if I did not have warranty which is about to expire soon.
>>
>>16231390

Whenever this car is sold, I feel bad for the buyer when the have to pay for the labor for a $10 sensor but a fortune in labor because the whole engine needs to be ripped apart to access it.
>>
>>16231756
just keep the car ffs
>>
>>16231756
Whats this for though?

Also you are aware that shops overcharge on repairs by 300% right? I can buy 'x' part for $80 and change it myself in two hours. That same thing a dealer would charge $380 - $700 for.
>>
File: fire.jpg (118KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fire.jpg
118KB, 1920x1080px
These cars are POS. Money Pit crap. Sell it to the next sucker lol. Gonna catch fires next at this rate.
>>
>>16231815

Nah needs to sell, piece of shit car, he gonna be broke. Let it be someone elses lemon shit.
>>
>>16231366
I don't know what you expected from pre-bailout GM. They were dogshit then.
>>
>>16231366
With dealerships charging $800 to repair a water pump or $1200 for a valve cover gasket's and a tuneup, The $100 deductible often covers the actual cost of parts and labor. That $20,000 repair bill is probably $1000 in parts and labor costs.
>>
>>16231366

Thats what happens when you dont get a civic for 3k.
>>
>>16231366
>Bought the car from a dealership
>>
You're a retard OP, and you deserve it. That car is a pile of shit and you should have known that.

>supercharged
>2004
>Pontiac
>can't wrench
I don't know what you expected.
>>
>>16231366
>what
>the
>fuck

I put 500k on a 2000 lesabre I. 15 years and spent maybe 2 grand on unscheduled maintenance.
Same engine and transmission.
>>
>>16231366
You're just a fucking retard OP. Do you know how much a water pump costs for that engine? Like 18 fucking dollars. It takes thirty minutes in the driveway to do. You're on this board to piss and moan that you're a fucking retard and can't do shit for yourself. Fuck off and git gud.
>>
>>16231366
People actually buy these American turd cars?
>>
>>16232601
There is nothing wrong with them if you know what to look for buying used and you maintain one.
>>
Honestly you shouldn't have bought the gtp. People beat the hell out of these things.

Also, 1k to change a water pump? Wtf? These engines are so easy to work on.

I think you need a civic. Something a little more basic
>>
>>16232782
Also I forgot to add, why the hell are you taking such an old car to the dealership. The newest model grand prix you can own is an 08. If you can't turn a wrench take it to an independent shop and you'll save a lot more money.

Inb4 warranty. You spent more paying for the warranty than you would getting repairs done at a good shop
>>
>>16231366
>it's american
>>
>>16232803
OR a POS moneypit for they next sucker who happens to buy theese car. Sucks to be them.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.