[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TC by Maserati

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (123KB, 432x318px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 432x318px
So long story short, I recently inherited a TC by Maserati with 40k miles on it. Now, I'm not really into cars, but I have always wanted a convertible to cruise in on nice days. My question is, will I regret keeping this car? I may not be into cars but even I can tell the only thing Maserati about this car is the trident on the grille. But would repairs be at a Maserati price? I figure it's only a few years out on being considered an antique so that saves me a ton on tags for it.

Again, not being super into cars means I don't really care that it isn't a drag strip king or track machine, just looking at it from a top down highway cruising aspect.
>>
If nothing else, you should hang onto it to sell it as a "rare/classic" in the future.
>>
>>16220184
>But would repairs be at a Maserati price?
Yes and no..

In general No. It was based on a variation of the extremely popular K-car chassis, so almost everything mechanical is interchangeable with some cheap bastardized whore you can find everywhere.

The Yes thing depends entirely on which engine you have. Early Chrysler TC's got a 2.2L 4 cylinder turbo. It uses the same block, crankshaft and connecting rods as most of the turbo 2.2L's. The difference comes from the pistons and DOHC 16 valve cylinder head, which are specific to the TC.
Later TC's got a 3.0L SOHC 6G72 V6 built by Mitsubishi. You know. So boomers can brag about something they can understand like the number of cylinders as opposed to forced induction. That V6 is the reason Chrysler started to gain a reputation for unreliability.

The 4 cylinder models are generally reliable but if you fuck up that cylinder head, good fucking luck finding another one. The V6 models were slower, less fuel efficient, made less power, and were just generally shit, but at least parts for that engine are fucking everywhere.

This website should help you should you need to find any parts as most of the fanbase on there is dedicated to Chrysler's K-car variants.
http://www.turbododge.com/
>>
>>16220234
Thanks for the resource. I got the 4 cylinder model. It looks like as long as I don't beat the car I should be ok with that obscure part not breaking. It is well maintained, so I would only be using it as a Sunday driver anyways

>>16220220
I considered this but it doesn't appear vehicles from the 80s and 90s are very desirable. Wasn't looking to get rich on it, but if it ends up being 100k one day good for me. If it's only worth 10k in 20 years, well no loss there since I essentially got it for free
>>
File: hannibal.jpg (31KB, 493x616px) Image search: [Google]
hannibal.jpg
31KB, 493x616px
>>16220184
soooo. what is this? a glorified lebaron?
>>
>>16220299
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_TC_by_Maserati
>>
>>16220299
Chrysler and Maserati teamed up in the 90s to put the worst aspects of their manufacturers together into one terrible car. Believe it or not, the body is hand crafted despite how much it looks like a Lebaron. Sticker price was double what a top line Lebaron was, nearly 35k 1990 dollars.

That said, I think the car will do what you want it to do. You say it will just be your weekend car, and it's low miles so that should help avoid some of the reliablilty issues of 90s Chrysler products. I'd say keep it, maybe some hardcore collector will approach you one day and give you money for it
>>
File: 3_zps107b3ef1[1].jpg (72KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
3_zps107b3ef1[1].jpg
72KB, 1024x768px
>>16220292
My first car was a 600es and I've been wanting a turbododge convertible with a manual. The TC is beautiful but I've decided to go with a Lebaron instead and not just because I have a kid now and need a back seat. Every single body component is different on the TC from the Lebaron. The wheelbase is shorter too so it has a different drive shaft. I wish they had the same soft top dimensions so I could put a TC hard top on a Lebaron but they don't. Even the seats, dash etc are slightly different and incompatible.

Since you already have it though, from my experience with my 600es let me tell you don't cut corners on your engine oil just go ahead and use a fully synthetic one and good filters. Also take good care of your leather seats because yours in particular are crazy expensive plus if you get moisture trapped in the cabin it can lead to electronic malfunctions which you better believe you in particular don't want. I'm kind of assuming you have a garage for it but if not consider renting a storage unit and just driving there and swapping out cars when you have a sunny, inspired day.

I wish a cherry TC would just fall in my lap but sorry about the loss of whichever family member it belonged to.
>>
>>16220340
Thanks, my house has an attached 2 car and I only have one car right now so that's not an issue. It's been garage kept all its life so I wouldn't want to put that to waste by letting it get wrecked outside anyway.

It was my grandpas car, but he is still around. He is still alive, but recently decided it was time to give up the keys at age 93. He wants to distribute certain things while he is still around to avoid inheritance laws/taxes, as well as assuring certain items go where he intended. He is the car guy of the family, no one else is. But I keep my car pristine while everyone else let's theirs go to hell. I never understood why people let a 20-30k invested get ruined after a couple years where the maintenance of vacuuming and oil changes now and then don't take much effort. So I guess I was the only one he thought would take care of it properly.

I do feel bad considering selling it, but that Maserati on the title had me fearing basic maintenance parts costing 10x a normal car. I'm more confident in it now that I see that's not the case aside from a few non mantenance parts, so I'm probably gonna keep it
>>
File: daytona[2].jpg (44KB, 566x410px) Image search: [Google]
daytona[2].jpg
44KB, 566x410px
>>16220397
Yeah belts, hoses, tires, brake pads, radiator, even the clutch all are the same as other Chryslers but you can't just assume it'll be the Lebaron it's often the Daytona but it could be some other model though it's all off-the-shelf. It used to be a secret which parts matched to try to get you to buy "TC parts" at a premium but now with the forums spilling the beans and all the auto parts stores having their inventories online all that stuff is cheap. Sounds like it'll be a joy to keep up on its maintenance. Glad your grandpa's still alive too, you can ask him what he puts on the leather if he didn't just give you a tin of it with the car.
>>
Only 500 Chrysler TCs were produced with the DOHC Maserati 16-valve head.

Better check to see if yours has it......
>>
>>16220514
Great, the car is at his house in another state, I'll be picking it up next weekend so I'll be sure to check on the leather treatment. It also comes with a mountain of paperwork since he never threw anything away. Which is great since it cuts down on effort of finding part numbers and such

>>16221408
This one is the 2.2 turbo so by the look of things I'm getting stuck with that oddball head. Just have to pray it never breaks.

Also if it matters it's manual which from my googling the past few hours seems to be a little unusual
>>
File: chrysler tc engine.jpg (76KB, 652x449px) Image search: [Google]
chrysler tc engine.jpg
76KB, 652x449px
>>16221690
>Also if it matters it's manual which from my googling the past few hours seems to be a little unusual
All 500 of those DOHC Maserati-headed cars were manual transmission 1989 models.
Here's the DOHC Maserati engine for reference
>>
File: chrysler-tc-engine-3.jpg (87KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
chrysler-tc-engine-3.jpg
87KB, 640x480px
>>16222243
some of them were painted black instead of orange.
>>
>>16220340
>The wheelbase is shorter too so it has a different drive shaft.
Dude...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.