[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello dudes. Can any of you car bros tell me what this is and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 20161124_123820.jpg (799KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_123820.jpg
799KB, 2048x1152px
Hello dudes.

Can any of you car bros tell me what this is and why it's possibly there, and if you're passionate enough to answer: What would be the likely cost to fix something like this.

I'm not exactly knowledgeable with cars so this is beyond me.
>>
>>16215640

rear diff axle? or something like that

it looks like it was leaking and they attempted to fix it in the most ghetto fashion.
>>
the boot is torn and axle compromised. you will need to replace it, 1000$ job for a mechanic. Maybe more if it's and import.
>>
>>16215656
What typically causes this to leak? Are gaskets involved here?
>>
>>16215672
Guess I'll keep the driving to a minimum. It's a 1981 Mercedes 240D.
>>
File: 1416955210783.jpg (65KB, 585x534px) Image search: [Google]
1416955210783.jpg
65KB, 585x534px
>>16215672
Chinese axles are 100 bucks a pop. Drop rear diff, pop in 3 new seals and a rear cover gasket.

I don't think its a 1000 dollar job

pic unrelated
>>
>>16215685
ahhhh it would last awhile if you can keep it lubed. Just listen for noises and re fill that diff with fluid. if the pumpkin runs out of fluid you will be fucked.
>>
>>16215697
He said he doesnt know what he is doing. if you take that car to a shop, I would deff have a 1k saved up. Also take it to a shop you trust or they will keep coming up with shit to fix.
>>
Well I'm at least glad you guys unanimously agreed on the problem. How hard would it be to do this myself with guidance?
>>
>>16215792
Depends on how the half shaft is put in.

Some German cars spline shaft one side going into the hubs, it will require air tools to pop it out as they're typically pressed in, and maybe even pulling the diff out to have enough space to pull the half shaft.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.