[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

K&N Cold Air Intake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: CAI512-0100_A.jpg (198KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
CAI512-0100_A.jpg
198KB, 640x480px
Looking into upgrades for my Ford F-150, Cold Air Intakes being one of the options, more specifically K&N. Anyone ever use them or have opinions on them?
>>
Don't do it, completely fucked my Mass Air Flow Sensor and kek'd my throttle body
>>
Yea it's not an upgrade. It just coats your mass airflow sensor in oil from the filter, and then your engine runs like poop.
>>
For the best bang for your buck get a canned tuner like Diablosport
>>
File: 1479415347119.jpg (107KB, 800x626px) Image search: [Google]
1479415347119.jpg
107KB, 800x626px
>>16211426
>upgrades
>cold air intake
>K&N
>opinion
>>
>>16211473
>>16211581
These are retards who didn't let the filter dry enough after dousing it in oil and didn't bother to clean their intake after the first 1000 miles of the new filter like you're meant to.

>>16211631
Proper intake gains 5hp ish on N/A and up to 20hp on turbos if they're designed by retards like the barra 4L
>>
>>16211426
>Anyone ever use them or have opinions on them?

K&N versus conventional HEPA filter:
a. K&N has much less square inch area than pleated rectangular filter
b. K&N uses oil to hold onto particles whereas conventional filters block passage
c. K&N lets a lot of dust thru that HEPA filters do not (proven)
d. K&N can suck air from the hood compartment and that is hot air whereas conventional filter airboxes do not do that

K&N is NOT an upgrade. It is a side-grade. But to many others it is a downgrade in terms of letting particulate matter into the engine.
>>
>>16211682
> K&N has much less square inch area than pleated rectangular filter
No, they don't.
>K&N uses oil to hold onto particles whereas conventional filters block passage
The foam itself still blocks a lot
>K&N lets a lot of dust thru that HEPA filters do not (proven)
Fine enough that it doesn't matter, especially when shit modern engines put fucking exhaust straight into the intake anyway
>K&N can suck air from the hood compartment and that is hot air whereas conventional filter airboxes do not do that
No, they do not retard. They only do this if you leave the filter exposed, which is illegal in reasonable countries anyway.
If you put it in a proper box like you're meant to, it sucks air from the fresh and clean source you give it.

This is what a cold air intake is, what your dumbass just described is a hot air intake done by ricers with cheap $5 ebay filters instead of proper K&N

A proper K&N oiled correctly will flow noticeably better than a paper filter without letting much if anything else through and has the benefit of being reusable.
$100 once (+$5 oil) or $20 every 10,000kms so you've spent $200 just in a normal warranty period
>>
Its better to save your money and put it toward an actual performance upgrade, which is extractors/exhaust/cam/forced induction.
>>
>>16211426
>Cold Air Intakes
Dropped. What are you, some sort of ricer?
>>
File: retarded-spaghetti.jpg (62KB, 450x263px) Image search: [Google]
retarded-spaghetti.jpg
62KB, 450x263px
>>16211748
>hurr let's just make the exhaust better without improving the intake

Is everyone in this thread a fucking retard who can't see how to improve pic related?
Go watch this fucking video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA

5rwkw with just a cold air intake, which is pretty much 10hp at the flywheel.
>>
>>16211426
>more specifically K&N
Damn expensive for a full and proper installation of both the filter and the custom cold air intake airbox for it.

OP posted a picture of an improper box which gets hot air from the engine compartment.
>>
>The box said +10 horsepower!
>>
File: 1453769214893.gif (410KB, 154x142px) Image search: [Google]
1453769214893.gif
410KB, 154x142px
>>16211642
>Dousing filter in oil.

Nigga wha?
>>
>>16211426
Here is the thing. Unless it's a direct OEM swap, any sort of aftermarket deviation from the factory components is going to modify the air/fuel ratio of your F150 unless you have it professionally tuned. You can't just slap on a new high flowing intake because now you have to modify your fuel table (digitally) to accommodate the increased availability of air. You may or may not also have to swap out your exhaust with something more high flowing
>>
>>16211642
No I let it dry and performed all the maintenance I should have, but they gave me a refund when it caused my engine light to come on. P.S I drove a 2000 Firebird
>>
>>16212635

It's because "high flow" filter media essentially work by being less restrictive in order to let more air pass through. If more air can pass through... then more particles will pass through as well. To prevent that from happening, the high flow filters are oiled so that the media gets "sticky" - that way you're not depending on both the physical presence of the media to block most of the particulates and it's stickiness to catch anything else that would have slipped by otherwise.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.