[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DD's that can go on an adventure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: Subaru_Outback_2000.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Subaru_Outback_2000.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Sup /o/, new driver looking to buy a car within the next year. Looking for a car that I can drive around maybe every other day to campus and back, but also be able to tackle road trips through somewhat remote areas of Canada (dirt/gravel roads, snow). Being able to pull a sail boat would be nice but uhauls exist for a reason I guess...

Do I have a better option than the Subaru Outback at a $5k (Canadian) or less price range? Been looking at the Volvo V70 but it looks a bit pricier on average and many of the ones available here are the FWD models.
>>
>>16207100
Jeep Cherokee the XJ ones of course not the new shit. The 4.0 is reliable and the 4x4 won't let you down. Will tow better than the outback as well. Just find one that isn't rusted out and running good. Should cost less than the outback also
>>
>>16207121
Yeah I've considered an older Cherokee... My mom drove a '96 when I was growing up right up until 2008 and it always did us well. My only concern would be gas prices, IIRC those things guzzled gas
>>
>>16207129
Willing to bet its on par with the outback, or not much lower. Stock form would get you about 20 as long as you aren't hammering on it constantly
>>
>>16207142
Huh, doesn't look like you're too far off... The outback's mileage is surprisingly low. Better than the Cherokee but I'd probably be paying for that saved gas money with higher insurance. Any other small SUV's or even trucks that you would recommend? Really open to anything that has 4 or 5 seats.
>>
>>16207151
I hear older Toyota 4 runners are nice, don't know anything about them myself. A Ford Explorer would be another option. All can do the job you're looking for better than the outback could
>>
>>16207100

Get an H6 or Turbo4 Subaru.

Otherwise, get a Jeep.
>>
I've been thinking about the outback for just this purpose. I have to make a 2 hour drive 2x a month for work, I wanted something with awd because I slide around in my fwd car when I go down mountains.

I don't want the xj to be the best option, but xj is the best option. Probably is for you as well. My brother has one and it's junk yet still runs.

I don't really mind the way they look but in my area they're almost synonymous with rednecks who saved up 1500 dollars and use them exclusively for trips to the dip store, mudding, and playing country music through poorly hooked up speakers, not sure if I want that tag on me.
>>
>>16207578
Dude if you're sliding around when going down mountains that's not your drivetrain's fault. AWD isn't going to fix it - you definitely have other issues there. What tires are you on?
>>
>>16207591
New tires as of a month ago but I haven't gotten my car aligned since I put new tie rod ends, pls no bully. I already know it's probably that but most normies accept the fwd=shit meme
>>
>>16207600
Possibly yeah.

Thing is, when we're in low traction conditions, FWD actually isn't shit. AWD will help you accelerate, and it'll help you if you get stuck, but for all intents and purposes you might as well be driving an FWD for anything else. RWD on the other hand absolutely sucks in the snow and in traction-limited conditions.

Really for 99% of the driving in poor conditions most people will ever do, an FWD shitbox will be what they actually want. No AWD system on poor tires is going to beat an FWD on decent tires - tires are always the most important thing in grip.
>>
File: P5160007.jpg (110KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P5160007.jpg
110KB, 1024x768px
>>16207151
first gen trackers look pretty good (imo) would get better mpgs, and are pretty capable with just some larger tires thrown on
>>
File: isuzu-vehicross-front-view.jpg (449KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
isuzu-vehicross-front-view.jpg
449KB, 2048x1360px
If you're looking at older cars this is a cool one to consider
>>
>>16207714
Why not both: AWD with grippy tires
>>
>>16207578
Lmao, exactly why I'm hesitant to buying an XJ. One down the street from me has an awful lift with awful rims, metal mullisha stickers, the atheist fish, the whole bit.

I just want to be able to reach bum fuck middle of nowhere Canada with my bros...
>>
>>16207884
Rare though
>>
File: 00x0x_iWQbTqWxo1V_1200x900.jpg (102KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00x0x_iWQbTqWxo1V_1200x900.jpg
102KB, 1200x900px
I can get a granny driven Volvo v70xc turbo for 1300, if I want something to beat on in winter and to take me off the paved path to go innawoods, will this car do it?
>>
>>16207100

How remote are we talking?, logging roads, 4x4 trails? Subaru's don't have much more clearance than your average car, that AWD is going to do jack shit when you're high centered.

Turd gen 4runner if you can find one with minimal rust and no strawberry milkshake.
>>
>>16209916
Yeah like logging roads I guess, not serious offloading with obstacles in the way. Mostly just fairly narrow (like 1.5 lanes) dirt and gravel roads. People do drive everyday cars through them, but at speeds of 20km an hour in a RWD.
>>
>>16207100
Any GT car. All pony cars, Aston Martins, etc.
>>
File: muddydropofflarge_001.jpg (167KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
muddydropofflarge_001.jpg
167KB, 1024x819px
>>16207100
Forester
>>
>>16207100
i owned a subaru outback

biggest piece of shit, expensive as fuck repairs (and oh boy did it break)

having owned one of these, shitboxes and a 4x4 truck

i would say stick with a shitbox econobox or a truck

if you want "le comfy 4x4 meme XD" then i guess you can be a complete faggot and buy a SUV
>>
>>16210009

>i owned a subaru outback

oh and i forgot to mention all the fucking times i wish i had a raised truck with 4x4 instead of a shitty ass subaru outback
>>
>>16210009
>>16210026
What were you using the car for?
>>
>>16210026
>>16210009
Hurr durr i bought an abused non turbo subaru and kicked the shit out of it until it broke. Then i was too much of a dipshit to fix it despite being super easy and cheap to work on.
I wish i had a shitty truck thats 25% as comfortable or practical as a daily for the benifit of 2" more ground clearance and the shit i need to haul getting wet.
>>
File: 1462211766553.jpg (52KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
1462211766553.jpg
52KB, 612x380px
>>16210009
>>
File: Xzibit.png (439KB, 720x529px) Image search: [Google]
Xzibit.png
439KB, 720x529px
>>16207100
> pic related, it's OP
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.