[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is getting your vehicle undercoated worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: RS Rust Proofing.jpg (149KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
RS Rust Proofing.jpg
149KB, 1000x667px
is getting your vehicle undercoated worth it?
>>
>>16198544
wash your car, and take care of it and we have no issues.
>>
Do you mud? Is the factory undercoat gone? Do you live in a salt area?
>>
>>16198544
If you offroad and/or live in a state that salts roads and/or live near the coast its worth it
>>
File: 1471580703170s.jpg (3KB, 125x115px) Image search: [Google]
1471580703170s.jpg
3KB, 125x115px
>>16198544
A shit undercoat will only trap water and salt and make it worse
>>
>>16198544
Where i live? No, we only get snow once a year, and now that global warming has kicked in, we might not see any snow for years to come.
>>
Well, it certainly can't hurt.
>>
>>16198576
that would happen very rarely, and only if you are jalopy-rigging in your garage while drunk.

Only line if there is no rust on the vehicle yet, or if all rusted areas have been properly repaired.

Also, just go get it professionally Line-X'd, it really doesnt cost too much if you arent a poorfag, and it comes with lifetime warranty
>>
i live in new york and they salt quite heavily
just trying to figure out if this is a gimmick or if it really works
>>
>>16198617
I also live in a salty city and I wonder if it stops rust completely or at least 99%

I have a used car that already has surface rust over the entire underside, and I wonder if that could have been avoided if it had rustproofing from the beginning
>>
>>16198700
the best thing is to get a cheap piece of shit car to drive during salt season
>>
>own a car
>live in Salt Lake City
Rust is my friend
>>
>>16198557
>just wash your car, bro

Confirmed for living south of the temperate climate zone.
>>
>>16198605

What is undercoat though? Its like a generic term for anything from just bitumen slathered on the undercarriage to actual rust inhibiting sprays. Here in Europe most cars come with a coat of bitumen on the underside (quality may vary).
>>
>>16198605
Shit like rubberized undercoating on a already rusty vehicle only makes it rust worse.

The only good undercoating is oil based, be it fluid film, bar and chain oil, krown, rust stop, or the likes.
Do it every autumn and it will keep your shit box solid even deep in the rust belt.
>>
>>16198586
>Global warming making snow go away.

Oddly it has snowed more where I live. We went from snow once a year to snow about 3-4 times over Winter and early spring.
>>
>>16198544

Wash salt and shit off the car

Touch up paint on areas where the paint has failed/rock chips/shit.

These 2 things will keep your car safe from rust.

Undercoating is a meme.
>>
>>16198898
at least you don't live in Logan.
>>
>>16199330
Great idea to wash you're car when it's -25C outside...
>>
>>16198544
Local Krown place undercoats cars for $100CND.
Brand new car costs $16000CND before tax and stealership fees.
It would take 160 years to not be cost effective.
>>
>>16199870
>what is depreciation

By your logic everyone would be holding on to a car for their whole lifetime, but we both know this just isn`t feasible.
>>
>>16199959
Rust-proofing will certainly help the depreciation value then while not forcing you to scrap a vehicle and purchase another due to rust damage.
>>
New Englander here - undercoating is well worth it IF and only IF you find a place that does a thorough job. Can add years to a daily driver with minimal attention.
>>
>>16199216
Warm air holds more moisture, hence more precipitation of all kinds.
>>
>>16199330
kind of hard to do with a foot of snow and cold enough to freeze your tears
>>
>>16198557
This
>>16199051
He doesnt know shit. You gonna be washing your car every day, because salt will be on the roads constantly eating away at your car. Best to do an oil bath.
>>
>>16198544
>is getting your vehicle undercoated worth it?

You left a lot of details out. Some people have different ideas what an "undercoat" is. To some, it is a one-time permanent tarry messy spray. Others have paint. Some have annual sacrificial undercoats. Some consider an oil spray to be an undercoat (bimonthly).

Because there are a wide variety of respondents, you might bet a "yes" or "no" answer to your generic non-specific question. But that answer was for the question you didn't ask, thus the answer is not applicable for your situation. But if you act upon that answer, you might end up lucky or not.

There are also a variety of semi-scammy undercoater services looking to make a quick buck. After all, you won't know if they are good or not until next year. But by then they will have changed their name only to do it over again. Badly done undercoats can trap salts and moisture between the undercoat and the metal. The car flexes and bends and moves. Over time, parts of the undercoat may unfasten from a dirty or non-cleaned underbody. That happens if all they did was pressure spray the bottom before applying undercoating. Thus the undercoat makes the problem worse since the trapped salts cannot be removed by any spraying of the bottom. It also can't dry out so it the wet salts keep on corroding.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.