[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT - questions that don't deserve their own thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 50

File: How_About_I_Slap_Your_Shit.jpg (38KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
How_About_I_Slap_Your_Shit.jpg
38KB, 600x426px
Starting a new one
>>
>>16194179
bump
>>
You're supposed to open with a question

Who here excited to see the 2018 neons?
>>
How open should the throttle be at idle? I just got a car and the throttle cable was detached. Just want to make sure I've got it in the right position.
>>
Is it safe to park your car by just letting it stall?
>>
>>16194179
Door constantly sounds like there's a small crack in the window. Placed some hockey tape around the area of the glass and it hasn't fixed it. Could it be the door trims themselves? I just replaced the rubber folds around the glass so that's not the issue.

It's annoying on dates when you go on the highway and I always have to make up some excuse...
>>
Idling RPM is at 1000 instead of 700 now. What can that possibly mean?

>>16194421
No. Don't do that.
Although cars are OK stalling here and there, don't do it on porpoise, fammy.
>>
Have no established credit.
Want new sport trim Civic hatch.
How much to put down?
If I can afford ~20%, how shit will the APR be?
What about insurance on it? (new car + male driver under 25 with no prior accident history) Doesn't the turbo bring the insurance up quite a bit?
>>
>>16194413
mine is at about 10% according to Torque Pro, but i just hand tightened the barrel adjuster until there was no excess play in the cable.
poolproof way if you have a tach is to check the RPMs at idle (internet or chiltons if no owners manual) and set it to that by trial and error
>>
>>16194426
Like wind coming in or is it just rattling when you go over bumps?

>>16194471
APR is dependent upon credit, and the term of the loan, not how much you put down.

You can get a quote online as insurance varies from car to car, state to state, county to county and person to person, so we can't really make that judgement.
>>
>>16194492
Wind coming in when it goes above 80kmph.
>>
>>16194434
Car FI or Throttlebody FI, or Carbed?
>>
>>16194505
Check the door seals/weatherstripping around the out side of the door, most of your road noise actually comes in there, also make sure your door is latching properly and isn't sagging.
>>
Where the hell do i get the plastic pushnuts that the grille screws go into so I can put my damn XJ grille back on?
>>
>>16194434
Idle air control valve/motor could be blocked or broken, throttle cable could be stuck, or vehicle could use some new plugs, wires and a dizzy cap and rotor

>>16194471
these are really questions you should ask a bank, they will all have different answers for you. At the very least if you have no credit you may qualify for a special first time buyer loan. Ask a few banks though and get some non-dealership options before walking onto the lot, it will give you leverage vs. in-house financing which are linked to sales bonuses and will give your salesperson a real incentive to lower your rate
>example: ford wants all new car sales to have in-house financing at 7% (false, example only)
>extra percentages that are negotiated are kept by the stealership (totally true for all brands)
>result: you get roped into a 15% interest when you could have had half that
>UNLESS
>end of month
>time to tally bonuses
>U walk in
>have a great deal for a third party loan
>but your sales associate wants your in house financing for that bigger bonus
>suddenly 15% becomes a percent less than what third party offered

>what about insurance?
regardless of the turbo any insurance for a young unmarried male is going to be ridiculous
>>
>>16194522
Z I P T I E S
I
P
T
I
E
S
>>
>>16194556
I'm restomodding it, not mudding it.
>>
>>16194545

So if that last example were to happen, it would be better to take dealership financing? If it's the same APR through both the bank and the dealership, is there any difference?
>>
Do I have to buy from a stealership or can I just go to the manufacturer?
>>
>>16194607
You can order a car directly from the factory the way you want it through the dealership, otherwise No.
>>
>>16194473
Car doesn't start :/ I wanted to make sure that wasn't one of the problems
>>
>>16194624
Your dad sure could when he was your age, though.

God I wish Trump would actually make the country great like that again.
>>
File: 1428438168298.png (234KB, 742x309px) Image search: [Google]
1428438168298.png
234KB, 742x309px
Im planning on doing a complete drivetrain rebuild in the near future and want to start piecing kits together so I can get right into it when the time comes. I'm Trying to figure out what model transmission I have but don't have time to roll under the car and the internet isn't being much help. The car is a 2000 Nissan xterra (1st gen) xe v6 4x4 5 speed manual. I think I remember hearing somewhere that it has the same transmission that came in the 240sx or 300zx or some shit but I can't remember for sure.
>>
>>16194597
if everything was exactly the same (fees, duration of loan, etc) yes the 1% less loan would be better;
but I was mostly using it as an allegory to illustrate that if they want you to finance in-house (which is a factor driving bonuses) and you have a better third party offer they will most likely bend over backwards to make you a better deal within their working limits; the chance increases the more legwork you do and the more offers you get from different banks as well as the end of the bonus time pressure on the salesperson (usually quarterly, if big enough lot monthly)
>they don't care about you tho, read the fine print always
>PROTIP: credit unions usually have the best auto loan options
>Double Protip: If deal is not good enough just keep shaking you head, biting your lip, and saying, "I don't know..."

>if it's the same will there be a difference?
uh no, they would be the same. the chance of that happening is astronomically low however; that's why you need to work the bargaining in your favor. Almost always financing through a bank will be the cheapest especially for people with no established credit, but money down can affect this
>>
>>16194521
How do you better seal your doors? Hockey tape won't stick to the weather sealilng.

Do I just have to get new weather seals? It keeps water out pretty well when I blast it with the power washer.

>>16194545
How check for idle air control motor? I've been having some cylinder misfire issues on and off.
Is it a really big issue?
>>
>>16194631
>can won't start
starter won't crank or car won't run after starting?
>starter won't crank
check your battery and your spark plug leads
>engine won't run
check your fuel supply and spark plugs as well as the dizzy cap and rotor
>air fuel spark
if you have all of these things it's probably a bad sensor or a vacuum leak

>>16194640
call a salvage yard or parts supplier; bonus if they specialize in Nissans, they will know because they're smart or they've pissed someone off
>LKQ would definitely know
>might even have a decent price
>>
>>16194678

Ah yeah I see now. What's (I guess) the fastest way to see which banks / credit unions would give me a loan then? Do I have to apply for a loan like everywhere and just see what happens and compare the ones I do get approved for? Will it be even simpler in my case because some places will just not finance me with no credit? Will my down payment amount affect the probability that I'd be approved for a loan? If I have $4k to put down, I would only need a loan of $18k correct?

Thank you for your time.
>>
>>16194688
>how to check
use google, type in your vehicle make model and year and then "IAC"
>IAC, srs bizness
depending on the vehicle, yes.
some develop a varnish that will block it and just need to be cleaned, some have mechanical/ electrical parts that fail and make the vehicle unsafe
>engine misfires
this is also a symptom, also engine pulsing (RPMs floating up and down while idling) is as well
>>
>>16194688
New weather stripping, and its probably not so much air actually blowing as the noise the air makes flowing over the door crack.
>>
File: 1478992229642.jpg (168KB, 1000x995px) Image search: [Google]
1478992229642.jpg
168KB, 1000x995px
>>16194712
> Do I have to apply for a loan like everywhere and just see what happens and compare the ones I do get approved for?
pretty much, call first and see if they can do it over the phone or online, but these will be shit tier lenders.
Wells Fargo wants to see your ass in person
>will some places just not lend to me?
yes, but large lenders have first time buyer programs like i said, so really call as many places as possible even the big guys
>will down payment help loan approval?
at a dealership yes, at a bank no.
banks will want to lend you the whole amount because they will get more money through interest, stealership wants to see a down payment because instacash for the lot which is has a vested interest in
>18K
you are not married and not old enough to rent a car, and I am assuming you have no good collateral for the loan; I almost guarantee you will need a co-signer with flawless credit to get an 18k loan. sorry br/o/
>there's a reason we all drive shitboxes here.
please do the legwork and prove me wrong, I would honestly love nothing more
>>
>>16194697
It was firing water out the back when I crank, the head gasket is shot
>>
>>16194718
That's the first thing I did check. No random blips on the engine which is good so it's only misfiring when it's kinda in motion like once every 5km or so. I'll see what the diagnostics are on Thursday when I meet with my mech.

Looked into the IAC and I'll see if I have time to diagnose the thing tomorrow - Thanks anon!

>>16194725
And yeah, that's what I thought... ):
So I guess the seal is perfect the way it is just makes a little crack and causes some annoying oscillations. Are there doors seal kits that will make my vehicle almost completely eliminate door/ window wind sounds when on the freeway? There have to be??
>>
>>16194776

>I almost guarantee you will need a co-signer with flawless credit to get an 18k loan

Interesting. I always wondered how people buy new cars. An $18k loan seemed like a lot more when I typed it out. Looks like I'll have to stick with a shitbox indefinitely then, most likely. That's kind of sad. I could always try and look at more numbers / opinions at least.

Any other thoughts?
>>
>>16194471
>Have no established credit.
go establish credit. apply for a non subprime card without a yearly fee and use it for shit you were going to pay off anyway (groceries, gas, etc). Do this for a little while and you'll start to get a good payment history. Don't forget you can also have someone with an established credit history (like a parent) cosign the loan with you which can increase approval odds and get you a lower rate.
>>
>>16194786
bad news br/o/, hope it works out
take the spark plugs out and look for liquid in the cylinders, if there's that much coming out of the tailpipe it will be obvious and you can narrow down where the leak actually is
do a compression test before you take the head off, just to make sure you don't have to machine the cylinder walls/ buy a new block
>>16194803
good luck an/o/n
>>
>>16194821
>>16194871
second, gas and food is a good steady way but also go buy some expensive shit on credit and then pay it off in a timely and efficient manner
>costco is great for this
>buy something too expensive and can't make payment? Just return it and get your $$$ back!
don't do this a lot if you want good credit
>>
RPMs drop to ~500 when engaging the clutch and shifting to neutral while braking when coming to a stop. It has dropped low enough to stall in the past.
What could this be and how do I fix it?
>>
>>16194871

Sadly a co-signer isn't really an option for me. My parents are garbage at finances and their credit has tanked further than I knew was possible.

At least my name is on an apartment lease and I'm paying that every month, that should be contributing something I assume. I think a credit card for gas and groceries is a logical next step.

Thanks everyone. Will be lurking for further replies.
>>
>>16194976
The best way to build credit is to get more lines of credit, use them, and pay them off as fast as possible, more than minimum payments.

You've got a good start but it takes time.
>>
>>16194179
https://youtu.be/FWIP1V2Vjwc
Is this car going to be the next gen Sentra? please kek make it so
>>
>>16194873
Is there any way to tell if its the head gasket or a cracked block without taking the head off?
>>
>>16195446
Ultrasound.
>>
>>16195463
That sounds like more work than taking the head off
>>
>>16195111
Does it have any of the following qualifications?
>Fun to drive
>sporty or sport oriented
>Traditional auto and/or manual available
>Non transverse rwd/awd
>Not a gtr
If you answered yes to any one of these questions, then congratulations! This car absolutely will not see production and its one concept will likely be crushed to prevent any more fun from existing in the world thanks to your friends at nissan!
>>
>>16195494
Yep. Get to it.
>>
File: iambecomeslipperyloserofgrips.jpg (128KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
iambecomeslipperyloserofgrips.jpg
128KB, 640x480px
>>16195446
not really, but a compression test will tell you if dry cylinders have enough compression, which could be the difference between getting a new engine because the block deck is too warped, getting a new head because your is cracked, or just replacing the headgasket and resurfacing the head
>>16195463
>how is gearheads form?
top kek
>>
I already posted this in a thread relating to dashcams, but wanted to try here too. What do my br/o/s think about this dashcam.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YRBQSK?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=de_a_smtd&showDetailTechData=1#technical-data
>>
>>16195887
looks all right, mount looks like proprietary shit tho
>>
>>16195897
>proprietary mounts
This is why I have to ask. I don't know much on the dash cam market. I wasn't aware there were general mounts and proprietary ones.
>>
>>16195912
o wait, my bad the camera has a screw in generic type; from the pics it looked like a plastic wedge type
>mount still looks like shit
>>
>>16195941
No worries. Is this really a cam I ought to go for, or is there still cheaper that will do the same job without a bunch of useless features I don't need?
>>
>>16195948
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMeBL7y19mk
damn, that's some clear night footage. if $90 won't hurt you i'd pull the trigger
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FONBG1A?psc=1&smid=A3BVA1L98F0PER
these are decent and cheaper
>>
>>16195983
But that model have the crappy plastic wedge type
this model most lucky
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W0RHOBO?psc=1
>>
>>16195983
Thanks for you help, br/o/.

>>16196001
I like this, but can't tell how this works.
>>
>>16196044
the buddha monitors all the mental states of the drivers around you and then records them, it's a gud deal
>>
>>16196087
I need it to monitor my own mental state.
>>
>>16194976
At least your following it their footsteps rather than buying something you can afford.

Bonus points for wanting to put zero effort into actually applying for a loan. You'll go far kid.
>>
Why did round headlights fall out of favor for square ones and eventually the various blobs we have today?
>>
>>16196350
>muh future aesthetics
this in a nutshell, but also tech got better and bulbs didn't need built in reflectors anymore
>>
File: 1440702257173.jpg (64KB, 500x468px) Image search: [Google]
1440702257173.jpg
64KB, 500x468px
>>16196139
no feel here it too real
>>
>>16194179
Okay so I replaced my front brakes, the caliper doesn't have to be removed on my vehicle (is350), all you have to do is pull out the pin and the bracket on the side, remove and replace. I used brake cleaner, decompressed the pistons, slid the new ones in & everything worked fine until the next morning when they started screeching like all hell. Now everytime I drive below 30 mph and brake they scream. What gives? The pads are in the right way and everything
>>
>>16196479
did you remember to install/replace brake pad shims?
did u use brake grease on all the pad to caliper and piston to pad contact points and the caliper pins?
>protip: i bet you didn't
>>
File: 220px-Willys_Jeep_1943.jpg (12KB, 220x150px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Willys_Jeep_1943.jpg
12KB, 220x150px
What would the modern equivalent of a willies jeep be?

I haven't really seen one but I'd imagine their the size of a Geo Metro
>>
>>16196788
>willies jeep
>2500 lbs
>60 hp
>3 speed manual
I'm going to say geo tracker/suzuki sidekick
>??? lbs (really light)
>80 or 96 hp
>3 speed automatic
>>
>>16196788
These cars are shit. You can't drive them in the rain, they're susceptible to Jeep death rattle, they're unsafe and they're incredibly boring after more than about half an hour on an interstate
>>
>>16196831
>people back then didn't know what they were doing

I mean its understandable. It's aesthetic as fuark too.

My idea is to have something as boxy small and easily maintenance.
>>
File: f350.jpg (60KB, 506x900px)
f350.jpg
60KB, 506x900px
should I get this 1999 f350 for $3000

it has 130k miles
>>
>>16196831
>can't drive them in the rain
What, are you gonna melt?
>>
File: 00i0i_1qdWHxfUJJ_600x450.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00i0i_1qdWHxfUJJ_600x450.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
Would $4300 be too much for a rust free, good condition AW11? It is the only one in my area that isn't broken. The seller is asking for 5k, but I don't think it would be worth that much.
>>
>>16198194
5k maybe it's it's a S/C MR2, and factory not some half ass after market or swap.
>>
>>16198252
It's completely stock, but it is NA
>>
I've got a 1997 rav4 that needs new shifter cables. I don't want to pay the supposed ~$300 for each one from the dealer.

Where should I look and what should I expect to pay instead?
>>
File: 1453485146220.jpg (51KB, 520x537px)
1453485146220.jpg
51KB, 520x537px
Can swirl marks be wax-deep?
I'm tempted to take some degreaser like dish soap and remove entire was off my car
>>
>>16198302
Too high dude, fuck that seller. That being said, if the market is shit for those in your area and it's exactly what you want then you might have to be willing to pay a little more.
>>
>>16196843
Not that modern but you might like the Scout 80. The early models even had a fold down windshield like the jeep.
>>
>>16197450
sure, you could always sell the box afterwards to cover costs

>>16198315
>where should I look?
Rockauto or amazon
>>
How durable is a car's chassis? Let's say I want to put a brand new powertrain in a 10-15 year old car, how much longer can I expect it to go?
>>
>>16199078
as long as it's rust free, forever. suspension parts will need changing and this may include subframe bushings, but as long as the frame is good and not fatigued or bent you're good
>>
What's better, Scion FRS or Genesis Coupe?
>>
>>16199374
FRS, But if you have the Money but the 370z is a better car, than both with much more potential.
>>
>>16199166
This is not entirely true, a tracked car can exhibit signs of frame wear over a few regular seasons.
>>
>>16199678
370Z a fat
>>
>>16197450
What engine?
>>
>>16199694
And? You can squeeze over 500 from the stock engine in the 370z, Can either the Gen or the FRS do that?
>>
File: biatch.jpg (82KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
biatch.jpg
82KB, 625x417px
>>16199690
>what is metal fatigue?
thanks for agreeing with me, try to read better
>>
File: maxresdefault(4).jpg (182KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(4).jpg
182KB, 1334x750px
>>16199710
PIGGY
I
G
G
Y

I actually like them, I'm just giving you shit. They are a bit bloated though. Still a great car for the money.
>>
Hey guys, got a Toyota mr2 1989. The clutch no longer has any pressure, and the clutch never detaches while driving, so it's kind of useless. Do you guys think I need to just bleed the clutch? Or could it be something like the master cylinder? How hard are both these things to do?
>>
>>16199710

you can squeeze a FRS down to 2400 pounds though.

Z cars are fucking fat as all hell
>>
>>16199804
You have a leak, find the leak first.
>>
Looking to buy some new tools to work on muh car

What size ratchet should I buy? have a 96 golf
>>
Im looking for my first car. Are bmws that bad? As in will I really need to spend that much money after I buy one? Looking at some 1 series and 318i from 2007. are they any good?
>>
is it safe to change summer for winter by myself, or pay pneu to do it?
>>
So say youre parked in a hill with a manual. How do you go forward (up) without going a little backwards first?
Say you floor clutch and brakes to start the engine and put it in first gear then what?
If you hold clutch and release brakes to switch to gas fast you still move back a little. If you remove clutch and hold brakes the engine turns off. What happens if you remove both at the same time?
>>
>>16199935
I would keep the brakes pressed after deselecting the handbrake. Then I would look to see if there's any cars coming. Then I would slowly depress the clutch until I see the revs drop a little. Then I would give it a lot of throttle and let off the brakes and clutch accordingly.
>>
>>16199911
wheels, I mean.
>>
>>16199960
by revs dropping do you mean the car kinda shake and shit ready to turn off?
what's throttle?
sorry am noob.
>>
Which one should I buy:
Buick Park Avenue 1994
or
Cadillac Seville 1994

Or neither of them?
>>
>>16199979
A little bit before it starts shaking and wants to turn off. About 100 below idle. Once you see the needle move lower and hear the engine sound lower, hold the clutch there.
>throttle
Give her some gas. ~2000 RPMs more or less depending on the slope.
>>
Just got a 04 RAV4 with 90k miles on it.

What are some things I should do? Tires and brakes are brand new, oil has already been changed.
>>
>>16200018
>tfw I never really looked at the other needle and only kmh
thanks
so by doing this you still need to give her gas fast when u get foot off brake as youll fall backwards only not as fast as you would if clutch was all the way pushed right?
manual cars are fun I should get one.
>>
>>16200040
>>tfw I never really looked at the other needle and only kmh
You don't really need to in an automatic. The transmission does the work for you.
>thanks
Np
>so by doing this you still need to give her gas fast when u get foot off brake as youll fall backwards only not as fast as you would if clutch was all the way pushed right?
Uh...yes? You won't roll backwards or you'll only move a little bit. Some people do the same thing but use the handbrake instead of the footbrake.
>manual cars are fun I should get one.
Yes you should they are fun.
>>
>>16199997

The Park Avenue, Cadillac motors are nothing but trouble, esp. late 80s 90s ones
>>
>>16199908
>bmw
Learn to wrench or dont bother. And yes they are expensive if you can't work on them.

>>16199881
At least buy a 1/4 and 3/8's ratchet set and sockets, 1/2 when you need to get to a bigger bolt.

>>16199997
>mid ninties boomer niche GM

Neither.

>>16200030
Find a service manual for your car and refer to the maintenance schedule.
>>
How does one go about finding good places to test out their car's potential or power? Like, abandoned strips and such, if they exist. I have no clue what I'm talking about, really, I've just really been getting into car-related stuff recently and I'd love to have a place to kinda just "free drive" my car. I know real life isn't a video game where I can just drive wherever the hell I want, but how could I go about finding such places?
>>
>>16200248
Google maps

Also realize what you'll be doing is tresspassing and doing other illegal shit at risk to your own life and limb.
>>
>>16200271
alrighty, thanks for the quick reply. I had a feeling that if I didn't want to pay out my ass, I'd probably have to do that. Just wasn't sure if there was a term or phrase I wasn't thinking of when searching. Luckily I live in the country, the middle of nowhere, so I have some good miles of (relatively unpoliced) road to drive on.
>>
>>16200288
Many Drag strips here offer open nights where its usually less than $30 for a few runs, but you may have to buy a snell rated racing helmet.
>>
File: what.jpg (40KB, 531x350px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
40KB, 531x350px
'sup /o/, visitor here, can you please help me identify this machine? Make and model will do. Thanks.
>>
>>16200169
fuck
are all bmws like that?
I just wanted it to be quite cheap good looking and a decent car. Ah well mazda 3 it is then.
>>
>>16200374
from that picture alone I can't tell the specifics, but that is without a doubt a second-gen Mazda MX-5 (Miata). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-5#Second_generation_.28NB.29
>>
>>16200388
Yea BMWs are all like that. They are notorious for their water pumps crapping out too. Just don't ask Scotty Kilmer about it
>>
>>16200398
That's just what I needed, much thanks Anon.
>>
File: 91809131990101.jpg (783KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
91809131990101.jpg
783KB, 1024x682px
Is this car (nissan sentra) a reliable vehicle? What would be a good price for one of these?
>>
should i purchase a cheap beat to fuck shitbox and disassemble the engine just to learn engine rebuilding hands on?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161103-140912.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161103-140912.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
Thinking of getting one if these hyundai coupes for real cheap with a v6. Anyone had any experience?
>>
>>16202254
How do you think most of us learned?
>>
>>16202261
It's nice looking. Slow though. Has a nice sounding motor though.
>>
Am I making a huge mistake by buying a relatively rare car as a first project car to learn on? It's well priced, but not many sold here so parts might be hard to come by
>>
>>16202412
Yeah I have heard they are pretty slow. I dont mind so much about overall speed. Its more drive quality i'm after. If they sound nice thats a plus so far.
>>
File: 20161122_150011.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_150011.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
The blue cap is the washer fluid right?
Im not 100% sure so im asking here
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>16202745
Whoops, found schematics online and that is NOT washer fluid, its engine cooler fluid. Is it bad that i opened it and let some fumes escape while the engine was hot?
>>
>>16202794

Enjoy your car fire.
>>
>>16202813
Err.... my car is not on fire...yet...how screwed am i exactly?
>>
>>16202822

Carry marshmallows in your glove compartment for a delicious roasted snack sometime in the next week.
>>
>>16202822
Lol you're fine, just don't open it again when the engine is hot
>>
File: 1455305023868.png (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1455305023868.png
1MB, 1280x800px
I want jews to (rightfully) fear me,

what car do I get?
>>
File: IMG_8726.jpg (182KB, 1752x1164px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8726.jpg
182KB, 1752x1164px
How do I get over buyers remorse/boredom several months down the line after getting a new car?

I bought pic related (fiesta st)in perfect condition 30,000 miles at a steal around 4 months ago and can't keep shaking the feeling I should toss it for something faster or more interesting
>>
>>16202898
Look at it, it's cute as fuck
>>
>>16194522
ebay
>>
>>16202822
Whatever, just remember that everytime you open it, you let moisture from air get to it lowering its boiling point and ofc you risk burning your hand with hot fumes
>>
File: BarrisCar.jpg (27KB, 400x272px) Image search: [Google]
BarrisCar.jpg
27KB, 400x272px
>>16202872
Modified Lincoln Mk III
>>
>>16202613
anyone??
>>
File: Tiger1-131-Bovington-2004.jpg (51KB, 600x295px) Image search: [Google]
Tiger1-131-Bovington-2004.jpg
51KB, 600x295px
>>16202872
Tiger
>>
How do I burn a cd for my moms pegout 206 I want to be blasting eurobeat while using the full power of the magnificent 1,4L petrol blasting its full potential of 75 majestic horsies
will mp3 burnd as an audio disk work?
>>
File: 20161122_162048.jpg (2MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_162048.jpg
2MB, 4128x3096px
>>16202794
Also, update, it was next to the coolant under some tubes, was a nightmare to fill without spilling
>>
How hard would fixing a bent valve on a 2002 Subaru impreza outback? Ad says it's #3?

I pretty much just want an awd winter beater. Can I source any of the parts from a junkyard?
>>
File: 1444341552897.jpg (100KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1444341552897.jpg
100KB, 1200x900px
>>16203259
it's basically the same work as a cylinder head job plus you need a pair of valve spring pliers and it would behoove you to get that valve reseated at a engine machine shop instead of doing it at home even if you do reuse the old head
honestly I would just assume the valve guide is toast as well and get a whole new head
>can i source parts from a junkyard?
this is like asking if water is wet or the sky is blue
>fastest fix, not cheapest:
*go to junkyard, pull the entire head you need
*take it to a machine shop and have them check it for cracks and resurface it if it's good
*take old one off
*put new one on
>bonus: extra practice removing scoobaru heads, you'll need it
>>
I have a 2012 ford fiesta do I have to reset my idle every time my cat battery dies?

I turn it on fake warnings come up and it idles at high rpms. I can't afford taking it to a place to get it fixed so what can I do.
>>
File: hotlink[1].gif (4KB, 197x123px)
hotlink[1].gif
4KB, 197x123px
>>16203182
Depends if her radio/media player can play MP3 from data CDs or if it only plays audio CDs.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/5555-how-to-write-an-audio-cd-from-music-files-using-imgburn/
>>
File: volvoPcatchassis.jpg (17KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
volvoPcatchassis.jpg
17KB, 500x375px
>>16203413
>fake warnings
you mean false codes? are you sure they're false? If you vehicle is trying to tell you something you should listen
>I turn it on ...and it idles at high RPMs
if it only does it when it's cold, it's a feature
>reset idle
how are you doing this? I would recommend resetting the ECU and remapping, that should fix it as long as there's no other problems with the vehicle
>cat battery
pic related?
>>
Car noob here. I bought some wheels and my lug nuts fit in the holes but i cant get the socket in there too, what do
>>
>>16203557
Thin wall socket, chump. Time for a Harbor Freight run.
>>
>>16203343
Followup question: could I drive the bent valve car in question about an hour back to my garage?

I mean I know it'll run, rough, but how much am I risking fucking up?
>>
Pretty sure my cars burning something, but probably only in D. Cant smell it in 1, 2, or OD, but when i push the engine hard or when it let off after pushing it hard i smell a bit of burnt something. I usually have to get to around 3k rpm before i smell it. If it was burning oil, wouldnt i be able to smell it no matter what gear i was in? Dont have too much hands on experience, and barely any more knowledge, but if its not burning oil wouldnt trans fluid or coolant be the only other options?
Also, the car seems to have trouble downshifting when in D, i can hear and feel it try to, but if i let off the gas for a second and then hit it again it feels like there might be a slight bit more resistance or something. Could that be related to why it's burning something?
>>
>>16203568
are they safe to use on impact guns? sorry if this is a stupid question
>>
>>16203497
Last time I had to have my car jumped out said abs was off. Now it's says transmission malfunction. It had check engine light on but went away.

Went to autozone and the error read the ecm/pcm processor was messing up.
>>
>>16203165
which car? it all depends, can you find a website that sells almost everything you need, at the ready, and can you afford parts?
>>
I have a 2004 Subaru Legacy L with some minor rust specks on the front hood and weathering paint on the side view mirrors. Should I get the whole hood painted? One dude advised against it cus of not matching with the rest of the car.
>>
>>16198525
Swirl marks are scratches in the paint. Wax protects the paint and hides light scratches
>>
Smacked my horn last night at a driver. Parked the car and 20 minutes later the horn started honking continuously by itself. Pressed it once and it turned off. Hours later the battery was dead but there's a hissing sound coming from the engine bay near the alternator. Jump starting the car makes the horn honk. Going to remove the fuses for the horn tonight but could there be a short circuit, or is the horn mechanism stuck?
>>
My mother-in-law spilled coffee on her car seat a little bit ago, what's the easiest way to take care of the stain? I don't eat or drink anything but water in my car so I wouldn't know. W

>>16204108
Probably jammed the switch, but I'd check for a shirt circuit before you tear your wheel apart.
>>
File: whut.jpg (152KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
whut.jpg
152KB, 960x1280px
>>16203570
I wouldn't without sticking a usb borescope in there and seeing how it's bent
they're less than $10
>could be just a little off seat, nbd
>could be not closing and sticking into the cylinder for the piston to hit
>no /o/ne knows
>>
>>16204453
It depends on what the material the seats are made out of.
>>
>>16203605
no they are not meant to do that, wear safety goggles
>still a good idea to use horror freight sockets
>lifetime warranty and cheap as dirt
>>
>>16202872
A pickup truck with a rebel flag.
>>
File: IMG_2813.jpg (37KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2813.jpg
37KB, 600x400px
I realize from a financial perspective pic related is probably the best vehicle to buy and use for 10+ years, but will my penis construct back into my lower abdomen if I do so?

Any newer civic owners care to chime in?
>>
>>16202613
Yes, you'll fuck up and if you fuck up badly enough you'll have to have a real mechanic unfuck it.

Get something more common.
>>
>>16203230
They're called funnels, they come in handy when filling shit up or making a cake.
>>
File: A Fucking Civic.jpg (90KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
A Fucking Civic.jpg
90KB, 640x640px
>>16204643
Yes.
>>
Saw a black na miAta. It was missing the hood and rear bumper spray painted on the back in yellow was, "hoon tard". Which one of you was this?
>>
>>16204625
I think I'll hold off on this car after reading more about bent valves. From what I understand
>it is almost always the timing belt
>it's likely that the oil was never changed
>was likely over revved
>it is equally likely that it's a combo of all 3

What I mean is, all research points to a bent valve coming 90% of the time from neglect, there's no way the rest of the car is in any decent shape. Ad for reference:
http://westmd.craigslist.org/cto/5887357427.html

A fix for this could cost up to 3k, at which point I can get a running car no problem. Unless I'm way off base on my assessment?
>>
>>16204642
That's just gonna make people assume you're a dropout with a buzzcut and a bed full of chew tins.
>>16204785
O I m laffin.
I remember a while back I saw a beat up AE86 with a WAT Racing decal on the window.
>>
I am interested in learning DIY sandblasting and painting. Is a regular N95 mask okay or do I really need to get a full on respirator?
>>
>>16205240
Get the mask that matches or exceeds your media.
>>
>>16205240
Depends on the kind of paint you use. Urethanes and epoxies = isocyanates = wear a fresh air supplied mask. You can shoot water based paint without a fresh air mask but you really need a booth anyway so you should just wear it. This is just for painting cars and panels, if you are just going to do a control arm or something an N95 mask is ok just make sure you can't smell the paint. Don't do something stupid like tape off your garage trying to turn it into a booth and using house fans. People try this and get sent to the hospital, I was just reading a thread on jalopyjournal where the guy was in the hospital for a week after doing it. Once you get isocyanate poisoning you can't even get a small exposure to it later so you're done painting forever.
>>
I just bought a 2001 Accord EX for $2600 that's mechanically mint, but the idiot owner who drove it in Pennsylvania never washed it at all. Thus the bottom of the trunk and both rear wheel arches are rusty as fuck. Are there any tips on repairs or at least anything to stop them from rusting more?
>>
>>16205288
>>16205292
Thank you. Yes, by no means am I going to paint a whole damn shell, at most maybe a bumper or fender. 90% of what I want to do at home is do my own prep with sandblasting and prime before sending it to a shop.
>>
File: IMG_0152.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0152.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Is there any downside to putting 91 octane in my Mazda 3 after its has 87 its whole life (89k miles)?
>>
>>16205314
Own a 240sx right now and was going to give up on it, but accepted the reality of rust. The only way it seems if you want to DIY is to cut, grind, prime and paint new metal if you have to. Which leads to my question...

I never used a wirewheel or brush for rust removal before, just painstaking hand sanding with paper. Are wirewheels only good for surface rust? I'm assuming if it's badly rusted it will just destroy whatever I'm trying to fix.
>>
>>16205378
Like the above guy said, depending on the paint, the paint will fuck you up more than the media will.
Trufax, I was painting the side of a CNC machine with enamel paint and woke up in the hospital because my mask wasn't rated for it.
>>
so, i need some more advice. if anyone is willing to respond here goes

>be me
>grew up admiring mustang
>despite mainstream popularity and shitty memes plan on getting a mustang
>currently dd nissan versa for work. family, and weekend use
>job doesn't really require i need a truck
>don't really need a truck other than for the possibility of snow
>live with dad who owns a truck
>recently financed an suv cuz nissan is "too small for family use"
>leaves me the option for a more fun car

question is, do i keep the nissan and pay it off or save up a good lump sum and trade it in?

next question, it doesn't HAVE to be a mustang v6 or the traditional v8, but i still want a fun manual tans car to dd for work and weekend use.
>>
File: 1476760580538.jpg (75KB, 620x738px) Image search: [Google]
1476760580538.jpg
75KB, 620x738px
>>16194179

PLEASE HELP ME /O/!

recently i brought my car to a chop shop my dad knows about (he's a taxi driver so he knows people). i had body work done to my car for 450$. he fixed two (2) doors, resprayed my bumper and pulled out a dent from the rocker panel.

after he was finished they told me to come back a week later so they can buff the paint. the guy did a "OK" job. i'm not going back to get the paint buffed so i did it my self with a RO polisher. the painted area still feels rough and dull in certain areas rather then that "smooth as a glass" feel. i used a orange pad with compound. i watched a chemical guys video on how to do it. and then i waxed it with a black pad. the orange pad come out looking silver to black at the end. the doors feel much smoother now but like i said i still feel some rough spots. should i use a wool pad.

second:
how can i get rid off fine scratches from my car? i used meguiars swirlX. it kinda did the trick. i didnt see scratches on my trunk with a white light but with a low light setting i can still see them like if a cat was on the car. i really dont know about detailing apart from the few videos i watch just to get a idea on how to do things.
>>
>>16205503
>$450

Haha you get for what you pay
>>
>>16205503
>i'm not going back
why? you didn't explain that
otherwise, you should have gone back so as not to deal with the spots and such
>>
>>16205511
Also forgot to add, research the place before you fuck yourself in the ass and look pathetic again
https://m.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom?
>>
>>16205511
i'm a bit upset about my car being damaged. my dad told me NOT to go through insurance because then it would sky rocket the price.

at least it doesmt look as bad a before. other "reputable" shops wanted almost 3K for it. thats like 23% of the cars worth i think.

>>16205519
sorry lad i missed that. i have my own polisher so i said why not do it myself rather then paying the guy again. he might not have done a good job again like he did the first time
>>
>>16204453
Stain remover. Dab with wet then dry paper towels then Resolve carpet cleaner and a brush, or shout and paper towels. It will only remove on the surface so if something else spills (water) it might come back.
>>
>>16204625
Jesus what a lucky guy.
>>
anybody know of a good way to wash polishing pads? i currently wash then by hand using the 2 bucket method with laundry detergent. they come out alright. i cant afford that 120$ pad washer bucket. i tried making my own but i'm scared of getting water in the polisher
>>
>>16204901
Nope. Get a running car.
>>
>>16205387
Expense
>>
>>16205540

almost every professional just blows them out with compressed air and then just washes them in some hot water
>>
>>16205391
Wire wheels are great as long as the rust has started to damage th surface. Anything that comes off is too far gone to save anyway. You can wire brush steel forever and it won't grind it away... again anything that comes away was more rust than metal.

t. Lifetime of cancerous rust vehicles in Indiana
>>
>>16205495
Get a manual while you can. Get the v8 while you're at it. It doesn't have to be new, but be sure to take your time and get what you want this time. Sell the Nissan or trade it in. If you can borrow dad's truck sell it note and start looking used.
>>
>>16205560
Really? So no matter how fast I spin it or how much pressure I put on it, the metal shouldn't come off? That's really relieving to know, I always sanded things by hand in the past because I assumed if you werent't careful that shit will just become dust.
>>
>>16205532
>then paying the guy again
Should have been part of the original job
>>
>>16205587
yeah of course used, new 6th gen models just don't appeal to me, but at the same time, early 5th gen models are underpowered as fuck. the v6 only puts out 275 hp (i think) while the gt puts out 305hp which the 6th gen v6 puts out thats what im facing at the moment
i'll probably sell it, we only have a drive way meant for 2 cars, so having more than that is stupid.
>sell it note
uhm what
>>
>>16205590
You've gotta have strong arms, a lot of time, and an aggressive as fuck wheel to do any real damage.
>>
>>16205684
So even the materials that make up the wire brush don't make a difference? Thanks for your advice man.
>>
File: 1453762841283.png (643KB, 1024x909px) Image search: [Google]
1453762841283.png
643KB, 1024x909px
Guy is selling a 2002 WRX Automatic Wagon with 34k miles. Looks brand new, but has a rebuilt title.

Supposedly, the owner was forced to abandon during flood waters and it was impounded. Current owner is asking 10,000. it books under 7500 even in excellent condition. What can I reasonably hit this guy at or should I avoid at all costs?

I want something to last the next ten years if possible.
>>
>>16205986
DON'T TOUCH IT WITH A FUCKIN TEN FOOT POLE DUDE.
Was it actually in the flood area?
We had a flood here at a big music festival about 10-15 years ago, and there's still fucking cars floating around that were in it. I had the misfortune of buying one and it was nothing but trouble.
>>16205692
I recommend getting one of the ones made specifically for rust. It'll probs last longer.
>>
>>16205593
thats what i thought too. but when i asked he said that i have to pay again. fuck him. the money i would have used to pay him i bought a RO polisher myself and gave it a shot

>>16205551
thats what i do except for the compressed air part.

is it ok if i use laundry detergent or would dish soap work better? i'm just playing it safe here
>>
>>16205644
Sell it now
> autodick on my correct
>>
>>16206156
>have to pay again.

Yeah I'd have bought the polisher too then. Still, not awful deal.
>>
>>16194179
2005 Chrysler Sebring, yay or nay?

Just moved to the US and need a cheap car.
>>
Got an 06 Audi a4 with the esp light always on, button has no effect. No engine codes or other lights. How can I regain control of my traction so I can turn it off again?
>>
When will subaru update the WRX?
>>
File: IMG_20160921_182356.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160921_182356.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
wat iz gud 2L engine to make rav4 have moar power
>>
>>16207080
3S-GTE
>>
>>16199911
>>16199972

bump, pls.
>>
>>16199935
Easy, like this:

>brake & clutch
>clutch out to bite point with brake still pressed
>brake out, little bit of gas, clutch out rest of the way

suddenly, moving without rollback. this handbrake shit is babby-tier
>>
>>16206514
nothing Chrysler
>>
File: 1479241649331.jpg (282KB, 1000x554px)
1479241649331.jpg
282KB, 1000x554px
>>16194179
Was it a wise choice to buy a 2003 MK4 GTI 1.8t? 134k miles on it. First car I've got by myself.
I know about the reliability meme but I wanna know about some tips and things I should expect.
>>
>>16194522
>Where the hell do i get the plastic pushnuts that the grille screws go into

You can get the part number at your dealer's parts counter (unless that dealership is a real ass and won't provide that info). You can go into a major chain store such as Autozone or NAPA and see if they can look up the appropriate part number and provide a generic replacement.

When buying from ebay, make sure the plastic parts are environmentally stable. Sometimes, you have poorly chosen recycled plastics from those chinese sellers that might be affected by sunlight
>>
File: IMG_3784.jpg (26KB, 423x282px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3784.jpg
26KB, 423x282px
I'm looking to get a relatively new car 2010+ at 12-14k give or take

I'm open to either a coupe or a sedan, Ford Fusion was my top choice till I read about a lot of transmission issues. Currently looking at Honda accords and I like them a lot but their price tag is relatively steep for newer years.

Any suggestions? I want something that looks nice, is gonna last and is fun to drive
>>
>>16207271
2003 TDI golf owner here, keep up with regular maintenance and you will be fine. but you should have gotten a TDI
>>
2011 golf 2.0 tdi
120k km
5.5k euro
should I as a first car?
>>
>>16207234
>this handbrake shit is babby-tier
enjoy your molested clutch
>>
everyone is telling me to get an automatic as first car. I like manuals more they seem fun but i do think theyre more risky till u get used to them. what do /o/?
>>
>>16197904
>can't drive them in the rain
>What, are you gonna melt?

Huh, the other poster was right but he thought you would realize. But instead, you only keep trying to defend your idea. In the rain, other car tires throw up road spray. That contains both road grit and greasy sticky GRIME that will land on both you and your clothing. After awhile, you will develop the "hobo smell" as the bacteria and mold multiplies.
>>
What's the scoop on the dodge Caliber, /o/?

I have money for a winter beater and there's a used lot selling an 07 RT which comes in awd, for 3k.

I never see any on the road and from what I understand when it came out, the vehicle was underwhelming. Is it a bad car, or just came at a bad time, or what?

I could indeed just look for something else but my research hasn't turned up much in my range, beyond this and a clean xj Jeep.
>>
>>16207747
>the scoop on the dodge Caliber
>dodge
>hatch
>itll shit the bed
>lmao dodge tarbo

>I never see any on the road
because they shit the bed

>Is it a bad car
yes

>I could indeed just look for something else
yes
>>
File: toyota-corolla-sedan-1.3.jpg (68KB, 919x516px) Image search: [Google]
toyota-corolla-sedan-1.3.jpg
68KB, 919x516px
Hey /o/ I need some help.
Im wiring up the tachometer on 1990 carb corolla (ee90). I planned on wiring 3 wires through the fuse panel, red to ignition switch, white to cigarette lighter, and black to ground (all according to the fuse box panel info).
I located my induction coil,and want to wire the green wire to (-) but I can't seem to find the (-) on it as it doesn't have its primary terminals on it. Just one big rubber
Some anon told me to wire the green one to one of the pins in diagnostic port under the hood to measure the RPM signal. But im not sure which one.
Anybody have any clue how I should go about this? Pics would be even better, if you have the same car.
>>
>>16207234
I'm convinced it's an o meme fueled by that one episode of top gear where Jeremy makes a hill start log.

That and we're so deep in the meme and do few o tists driver much less stick that people are beginning to think it's real and really defending it for real.

I mean pol made trump president but o created a generation of shit posters who think handbrake starts are real.
>>
>>16207409
>everyone
Everyone is wrong tell them to BTFO or they'll get BTFO in their BTFO
>>
>>16207346
Get an older tdi, ALH and older engines are the best due to reliability, modability, and the cult following support
>>
>>16207807
>white to cigarette lighter,
What the fuck

Also do you even understand what (-) is?
>>
>>16207409
Look, you're going to have your first car for years. It takes MAYBE a week to get used to manual. A boring car can be fun if its manual; it makes you feel more I tune with the car.
Don't give up years of enjoyment for a week of discomfort, trust me the manual is worth it.
>>
File: 3rd Party Info - odometer.jpg (77KB, 960x528px) Image search: [Google]
3rd Party Info - odometer.jpg
77KB, 960x528px
>>16207409
>everyone is telling me to get an automatic as first car.
If you are stuck in traffic a lot or have freeway stop and go situations, you will not like manual as you'll be constantly shifting and shifting and shifting and shifting.

There are many reasons why automatics triumphed in the marketplace versus old school manuals. Manuals have just one real advantage which is that ability to accelerate.

Some people also say MPG, but if you are not good at predicting your tach ranges based upon situations (not just using tach speed as to when to shift), your mpg will not beat that of an automatic. Modern automatic transmissions have a computer algorithm that learns over time how that car is used and averages out shifting patterns to try to gain more mpg.
>>
>>16207862
There is a cig lighter wire according to the fuse panels info.
(-) is supposed to be the negative terminal induction coil, correct me if Im wrong.
>>
>>16207854
>>16207900
>>16207903
so 2 for manual 1 for automatic
manual wins so far
>>
1996 f150 5.0 auto

When it's cold outside (and engine is cold) it starts (sounds like it's going to rev up) then starts stumbling (voltage also drops) and dies all in about 5 second. What causes this?

Alternator was replaced for unrelated problem
>>
>>16207860
I dont car about mods anyway
the third reason u gave is a spicy meme right?
Are they really less reliable if theyre old? makes no sense desu
I just like how it looks everyone has older versions this one looks more modern
and its hard to get an older version with the same amount of km
>>
>>16207944
Manuals dont get better mpg unless ur driving a shitbox or a car with a 10 year old slushbox
>>
>>16207944
>so 2 for manual 1 for automatic
>manual wins so far

No, the prospective buyer should realize that out of 1,000,000 new cars, it becomes some horrible number like 9,950,000 automatics versus 50,000 manuals. The advantage of manuals is with combustion engines. Electric cars are still coming along and they have tremendous acceleration ability.

There is one other reason why the buyer might want manual. That is to make sure no one else borrows his car. They can't drive manual without damaging the clutch or gears. Of course, they might borrow it anyways and thus secretly damage his tranny. But manual would be a solid way to discourage others to borrow his car. That's a shitty reason, but it is still valid.
>>
>>16207965
>>16207980
im not considering buying a car for the better acceleration and shit just to have more fun driving
automatics are basically like playing gta but following the driving rules
>>
>>16207944
Flip a coin

If it comes up heads go buy a manual

If it comes up tails realize you were just flipping the coin to reinforce something you've already decided (same reason for coming to o) and go buy a manual
>>
>>16207965
A ten year old slushbox wss made in 2006, twenty years ago
>>
>>16194179
What's the scariest car I can get for under $10k?

I just want a scary fast car that can take the abuse of hard driving.
>>
>>16208323
10k clones of your mom
>>
is a 2006 VW Passat 2.0FSI a good car? Found one for 5500 euro 80k km
>>
>>16206822
The WRX was updated pretty heavily in 2014. Are you talking about the STi? Because that's probably gonna be in about 2-3 years.
>>
>>16207224
It's perfectly safe to change your own wheels if you have a decent jack and jackstands. You're likely going to need a shop to bead your tires, though, if they're not already on the wheels.
>>
>>16207764
I'm sad that the caliber sucks, it doesn't have any stellar reviews either, and even some bad ones, so oh well.

There's an 02 impreza outback from a dealership for 2.5k with a warranty, better deal or nah?
>>
>>16207947
sounds like your distributor, check the cap and rotor first but it's probably the dizzy itself
>>
>>16205387
No but there is no benefit either
>>
>>16208323
A motorcycle
>>
>>16208566
Cap and rotor have been changed (again unrelated)...what makes you say distribution, what would I be looking for?...it runs fine if I give it gass or when it's warm out
>>
What's a decent vehicle for sub $1.2k? Looking for something that runs, can handle a high odometer provided the previous owner wasn't an idiot, and will allow me to work on it to learn about cars without stranding me somewhere.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 240x294px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 240x294px
why don't FWD shitbox drivers just drive in reverse to turn their FF econobox into a RR godmachine?
>>
>>16208892

Because we'd only have rear wheel steering, you retard and it'd make like even more hellish.
>>
>>16208450
bump
>>
File: truly_the_man_of_the_people.jpg (81KB, 640x817px) Image search: [Google]
truly_the_man_of_the_people.jpg
81KB, 640x817px
What's the best way to honor this glorious man on a budget of 3.300€ / 3.500$
I'm looking for something that isn't a piggybank (i'm about to start going to an university so I don't really have any money for repairs)
Ford Focus MKI/II (older sedan) caught my eye and I'm interested in what do you guys think of it.
>>
>>16208888
I would say 9th gen f150 if you don't mind a truck, good parts availability, pretty easy to work on, if 2wd about 18 mpg thought...also if you get a dud trucks generally sell even broken down for 800 at least in my area
>>
How much of initial D is accurate?

Is the water cup thing actually possible?

Would someone who's good at kart racing be good at the duct tape death match? (because karts don't have a lot of angle)

When it comes to cars of completely different classes is it still possible for there to be a driver win? (evos vs everyone)

Does locking up your front wheels to initiate a drift actually work?

Other Qs:
Why has no one combined a supercharger and turbo into one device? (I don't really consider a procharger both in one)

Why would an open diff crown Vic be able to do donuts but not a SC400?

Why is twincharging not common?
>>
>>16209061
I don't mind a truck. Anything sporty or SUV-like for that range?
>>
Buying my first car soon. not too many options in my country. I found 3 that i think are worthy so far.
2006 Passat 2.0 FSI 80k km 5500 euro
2005 bmw 116i 1.6 120k km 5800 euro
2008 golf v 1.9 5300 euro doesnt say how many km just a big range 100k-150k.
which one /o/?
>>
so it's been over a year since the oil was changed in my car, I forget how many miles I've put on it but I don't drive as much as I used to (daily commute switched from 45 minutes to about 10)
the color is a medium brown when I dip it, but I feel like I should change it soon
is it OK to go based on color alone?
>>
>>16204453

Where would I find the short?
>>
What's the maximum amount of miles a used car should have if one hopes to keep it for 10+ years?
>>
The battery light in my 98 Camry came on and it's a new battery
What do
>>
So I'm driving an automatic and when I hit the brake, after either coasting or accelerating, I can feel almost extra throttle? Like the car is ignoring the brake and revving a bit more.

What is this? Throttle body? Cable? Dangerous and fix immediately?
>>
File: colour.png (885KB, 1273x446px) Image search: [Google]
colour.png
885KB, 1273x446px
What paint color is this? Race Red seems a lot darker on the Ford website.
>>
>>16203589
Anyone?
>>
>>16209598
Get a new car
>>
So I acquired a turbocharger a while back that's basically a T3/T4 but backwards (T3 compressor with a T4 twin scroll turbine). I got it for basically nothing and it's a genuine Airesearch (Garrett). I think it came off a John Deere tractor or some shit.

Is it actually useful for anything? Should I bolt it on to my 13B-RE or is it never going to spool?
>>
>>16207307
if you want something relatively new, a good rule of thumb is to get a car within the 4 year range (2017-4). but honestly 2010 is a good starting point.

>coupe or sedan
depends on your needs/wants. for example, for me, a coupe is nice because i mostly drive alone
>looks nice
different strokes for different blokes, most cars will have a sporty look to them so really just pick one
>gonna last
a car's longevity will depends on how well you care/maintain it.
>fun to drive
anything in manual is fun, add some horsepower and torque and you're set.

>>16209165
>initial d accuracy
it seems legit, i doubt there's anyone who has been able to put them into practice though
>water cup thing
it's possible, it's a matter of being a master of your vehicle. there are videos of people trying it out, but you can tell they don't have full control of their car and just go sideways and think that's drifting.
>duct tape deathmatch
idk they'd have to just try it out
>cars of different classes
short answer yes
>locking up tires
stopped reading there and im just going to say no its not.

>>16209499
don't be one of THOSE people, seriously. its common car knowledge that you change your oil every 3 months, or every 3k miles whichever comes first. you gotta also feel it, don't you ever see mechanics or someone changing oil and wiping it off the dipstick? they do that for a reason.

>>16209552
imo, anything under 100k, unless you plan on rebuilding the engine and what not.

>>16210341
its the website m8, i don't know why but i know what you mean
>>
>>16210985
>>16210341

Apparently it's Competition Orange but they don't offer it anymore?
>>
If my pcv valve was jammed open would it dump oil straight down my intake?
Whenever i fill up wit oil the engine will chew a litre of oil a week then run for ages below the dipstick
So would it mean when my oil pressure is normal there is oil being sucked into the intake but then when its lower not much oil reaches the valve cover and so doesnt get sucked up?
>>
File: assbolt.jpg (14KB, 225x183px) Image search: [Google]
assbolt.jpg
14KB, 225x183px
how do you use a torque wrench with pic related? you have to hold an allen key in there to tighten it
>>
>>16211034
just tighten it reel gud
>>
>>16209165
>How much of initial D is accurate?
Very little.
>Is the water cup thing actually possible?
No.
>Would someone who's good at kart racing be good at the duct tape death match? (because karts don't have a lot of angle)
Maybe, but not in an actual car.
>When it comes to cars of completely different classes is it still possible for there to be a driver win? (evos vs everyone)
What kind of question is this? Go to any track day and you'll see Miatas lapping 911 GT3s and Corvette Z06s.
>Does locking up your front wheels to initiate a drift actually work?
No, and no one has ever claimed that it would.
>Other Qs:
>Why has no one combined a supercharger and turbo into one device? (I don't really consider a procharger both in one)
I guess that would be the Comprex pressure wave supercharger? I can't really see a way to make this work in any beneficial manner.
>Why would an open diff crown Vic be able to do donuts but not a SC400?
Driver skill.
>Why is twincharging not common?
Because it's German tech-autism. There's no measurable advantage and it adds huge amounts of complexity, because in addition to having both a supercharger and a turbocharger, you have to have a system to change between the two. They're sort of common on monster diesels that run like 80 pounds of boost because they can be used in a compound system.
>>
>>16210985
thing is I brought it to a local mechanic to have it changed a few weeks ago and he said it was fine and sent me on my way
the car's an old junker Volvo, maybe he's just trying to get me to kill the damn thing already
>>
>>16211034
crows foot wrench and math.
>>
>>16211034
You need a pass-through torque wrench. It's not a common tool, and not one I'd expect the average person to have in their box. Just use your calibrated arms.
>>
>>16211021
>If my pcv valve was jammed open would it dump oil straight down my intake?
No, the PCV valve keeps the crankcase from drawing in air during overrun or high boost.
>>
>>16194179
Hey /o/, I'm looking for a first car around $5387 in Dominican Republic. I narrowed it down to three cars and I need to decide, the celica seems appealing since it has rally history but so does the Pathfinder: Celica GT Four, moderate rice https://www.supercarros.com/carros/coupe-deportivo/toyota/celica/Detalle/644232/

Nissan Silvia S13 (240sx) Riced to hell and back https://www.supercarros.com/carros/coupe/nissan/silvia/Detalle/659257/

Nissan Pathfinder 2001
https://www.supercarros.com/carros/jeepeta/nissan/pathfinder/Detalle/649358/
>>
>>16211134
But the valve runs into a small tube that leads to the intake plenum ao what you say doesnt make sense
>>
Im planning a pretty long trip soon (at least 1k miles), and im looking at ways to increase my cars mpg. Would getting lighter engine parts, like aluminum valve covers, heads, etc., really help much?
Would a custom efi like mega squirt or FAST help much?
>>
>>16194413
Tps not detecting throttle open, if you arent running a stone age vehicle.
>>
This person has an 1990 4runner sitting at 44k on the clock... What kinda Fuckery is this?
>>
>>16211078
like anyone else with a trade skill, he's probably baiting you so you'll go to him for service. job security and what not. at the same time, you could be fine, no problems.

>>16211228
>long trip
>~1k miles
yeah ok lol

but in all seriousness, learning proper throttle control is about the only real way to save mpgs. making it lighter would mean making it 1,000 pounds lighter to notice any REAL difference
>>
>>16211228
Weight has no effect on fuel economy

I know it sounds like bullshit, but it's absolutely true.
>>
>>16209598
Battery light isn't because battery is dead. You probably have alternator issues. It could be as simple as a frayed wire though
>>
>>16211173
It does. When the engine is operating, blow-by is forced past the piston rings into the crankcase. The PCV system allows that pressure to vent. Under negative load during overrun, it's possible that pressure could leak into the cylinder from the crankcase, causing the crankcase to draw air through the intake system. The same thing can happen with high boost pressure; air will be forced from the intake system into the crankcase despite blow-by pressing the other direction.

Drawing air into the crankcase isn't too much of a problem, but it's not the way the system was designed to operate and does negate some of the benefits. A bad PCV valve isn't a critical issue though, and won't cause oil consumption issues.

>>16211228
Your best bet with any sort of time constraint is to buy a different car.
>>
>>16211168
That's not a gt4.
>>
>>16211228

Minimizing weight helps with acceleration and handling, not really on MPGs. Your biggest enemy with MPG is air resistance and driving with a lead foot. Keep your speed below 55 mph if possible, keep the rpms near peak torque for your engine, use cruise control whenever possible, and set a proper tire pressure.
>>
>>16211529
>weight has absolutely no effect on fuel economy

Are you retarded?
>>
>>16209677
Fat feet?

I've seriously been in a situation where I caught the throttle as I pushed on the brake- scary as fuck to be lurching forward harder the more you press down on the brake.

The only other thing I can think is your trans is downshift aggressively enough it spins your rpms up. Thus would be all sound, no forward lurch.

I'd sit in driveway in neutral and play gas gas brake and also try popping it into neutral right as you brake in situations where it usually happens. Also keep an eye on your tac when it happens.
>>
>>16211034
That's funny.

Make a bench bolt the same size. Torque it and use same box wrench repeatedly to develop a feel. by which I mean loosen repeat. Apply your feel to the bolt in question.
>>
>>16211228
> 1k mi
You didn't even make it out of Texas son.

Nothing you do will affect your mpg as much as SLOW THE FUCK DOWN.

It's also less fatiguing to drive slower. Make your top speed 65 or the limit, whichever is lower. You should be passed regularly but not fucking up traffic if you're doing it right. You can find an rv or other like minded drivers to avoid feeling like a complete ass.
>>
>>16211320
Some people have vehicles they don't drive much. That or the odometer came from a wreck and your should double check the car facts.
>>
>>16211228
Also air up your fucking tires.
>>
>>16211575
As someone who does this 55 isn't really reasonable on today's interstates, at least between Denver and Indiana, ten years ago you could go 55 but now to flow at all your really have to bump it up to 65.
>>
>>16211578
The rule of thumb is about 1% per 100lbs if you are counting hills and starting and stopping etc.

So for example, if you had a subaru legacy that weighs 3500 lbs and gets 30 mpg combined highway and city

a 100lb reduction in weight (so for instance, stripping out a good amount of interior) would then yield a 30.3 MPG average

a 200lb reduction in weight would give you 30.603 MPG (stripped interior or close to it)

a 300lb reduction in weight (stripped if it aint already) will give you 30.91 MPG

a 400lb reduction in weight (which would be removing everything unnecessary including seats, low weight battery, remove sunroof, airbags, using lightweight parts etc would get you to 31.2 MPG (Woo finally broke a 1 mpg gain)

If you are driving steady state at the same speed down a straight road with no major hills (most highways) the MPG isn't affected by weight. This is why a semi with a huge load will still get same fuel economy as a bugatti
>>
How does a turbocharger affect gas mileage?
>>
>>16211652
Are you using a turbo to provide a small engine with enough power to take the place of a larger engine? Probably going to see an increase in fuel economy over larger engine choice

Are you adding turbo to car (to go fast) and setting it up so it runs at an air fuel ratio that the turbo is happy with? (12:1 ish) Probably worse economy
>>
>>16211660
So in all cases a turbo reduces fuel efficiency? I'm looking at a used car (subaru with a 2.5L flat 4 cylinder), some of which are a trim level that includes a turbo. Trying to gauge how much fuel efficiency I'd lose with a turbo. Also, can a turbo be added to most cars? Can you just buy a turbo and slap it on?
>>
>>16211679
let's say you need a 2.0L motor
You can use 1.3L with turbo to generate same power. See the new 1.5L turbo civics

To your second question, no. It's relatively simple but not that simple
>>
>>16209598
>The battery light in my 98 Camry came on and it's a new battery

Multiple things can cause a battery light to come on. In some older cars, if the alternator is bad (blown rectifier), the car then runs on the battery (which is still good). The battery light will come on but not the alternator light. In new cars, there's an absurd number of lights, perhaps the alternator light will come on instead in those cars.

Some digital battery testers have an alternator testing mode (mine does). So if you have one of those, read your instruction manual and use it to check out your alternator.
>>
File: Race_queen.jpg (205KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Race_queen.jpg
205KB, 720x1080px
>>16209499
>it's been over a year since the oil was changed in my car, I forget how many miles I've put on it but I don't drive as much as I used to (daily commute switched from 45 minutes to about 10)
>the color is a medium brown when I dip it, but I feel like I should change it soon

You should change the oil either based upon the mileage or once per year whichever is sooner.

If you have a lot of short trips, you won't get the mileage. But you'll have fuel dilution of the oil plus condensation vapors in the oil which weren't boiled off. The oil also acidifies more rapidly than with the miles racked up with highway driving. So that is why changing the oil lets you get new oil with plenty of acid cancelling additive.

You can also look up the previous oil threads in the archives. Such as:

http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/#q14985876

http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15515997/castrol-vs-mobil-vs-quaker-state
>>
15k on a daily driver. Need something I can move stuff around in. SUV's are welcome but I would like something that is actually fun to drive and wont cost a lot to maintain.
>>
>>16210975
>Asking /o/ an even remotely technical question about turbochargers
Top kek, good fucking luck anon.
>>
how fucked am I? if someone broke into my 99 f150 and broke the pats part that reads the key? i only have one key, paid 600$ for the truck and am currently unemployed. the dealership wants a minimum of 600$ to fix it.
>>
File: 1479028401133.png (17KB, 247x239px)
1479028401133.png
17KB, 247x239px
>What adhesive should I use to stick emblems back on a car?

I tried taking them off but they've been on there for 20 years and the paint's too discouloured around the edge of one and the adhesive just turned to a solid mass on the other and won't come off (tried degreaser, WD-40, Isopropyl alcohol).
>>
not really car related, but somebody here might know - is there any way to effectively repair faux leather?
there's a tear on my central console that keeps getting bigger and it scratches at my arm
>>
>>16212053
3m vht double sided tape

>>16212000
there are people smarter than you breh.

>>16212067
recover it
>>
File: RaceQueen_Kazami.jpg (214KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RaceQueen_Kazami.jpg
214KB, 720x1080px
I don't know if those "goo gone" adhesive removers will soften up solidly rock-hard oxidized residue. But it works on stuff that is still flexible. I use the edge of expired credit cards to slowly work at the edges of adhesive mass.

>>16212053
When resticking emblems, be sure to remove all previous solvent residue from your attempts to remove prior adhesive. The residue may contain solvent residue from WD-40, degreaser, soapy cleaners, goo be gone, etc. That will interfere with the sticking ability of your new adhesive.

You'll have to apply and re-apply fairly strong isopropyl alcohol to create aziotropes with the solvents and carry it off into the atmosphere. 99% isopropyl alcohol in little 16oz bottles is sold at Fred Meyer (a kroger subsidiary) supermarket, so I presume kroger might also carry it. I use that for cleaning things as it has just about no water in it.

Product: 99% Isopropyl Alcohol / Swan brand / UPC code 3-08691-20610-8 / price $1.59
>>
File: IMG_2795.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2795.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I recently got rear ended. Bumper got shrekt, and the body fucked in a couple spots. Minor frame damage.

At the time i didnt call the police and we exchanged info. But this guy has been bugging about wanting to fix my truck but it seems like hes trying to leave out things. I already filed claims with both insurances. And just tonight the center support bearing came out of the housing and now the drive shaft is out. I dont fully know the extent of the damage but my truck has been acting up ever since the crash.

Should I inform his insurance or would they just say its my problem since Ive been driving the truck since the day the guy hit me.

I dont think the damage is sufficient enough to get bought out. Airbags didn't deploy though.

This guy wants to avoid the insurance but I already filed claims and wants to come to my house to check out the damage. Im not gonna let him.
>>
>>16200153
That's a complete falsehood. The 4.5-4.9s were fine engines. It was the northstar, which came later, that had HG and block troubles.
>>
>>16212598

Say you wanted to move the car a couple feet and it popped out or just say you didn't notice it until today.
>>
So the other day I left my mirror lights on all fuckin night, and when I started the car the next morning shit was fine, the thing is, the day after that, while driving a night with my heater on full blast i got a dim of my interior lights, headlights, and fans when i would brake or idle.

Im assuming its the alternator, but cant help wondering if there was something to my leaving the lights on too.
>>
>>16211649
So what you you're say is you agree with him.
>>
>>16212035
Did they break the ignition lock? Is that what you're saying?

If so unless you can pull the console apart and do it yourself, yes you're fucked.
>>
>>16213065
1 MPG for 400lb reduction is negligible you cuck
>>
>>16213232
But he is right though
>>
>>16213078
They got it to the point where they could use a screwdriver to start the truck! with out a key! but they broke a ring of wire around where the key would be placed and it is the part of the pats system that reads the key
I was hoping for a bypass or something but i cant find anything that would seem to help
>>
How can I reduce engine knock at high speeds (above 80 mph)? I'm already using high octane fuel
>>
>>16213340
Use a steering wheel lock n use a screwdriver to start it then??
>>
should i get a 2006 mercedes a180 as first car?
They look like shit from the aesthetic but seem like good cars and the interior is pretty good. Found one for like 5000 euro
>>
>>16213406
What engine/car? Sounds like your distributor is off, or your ignition system has a problem
>>
>>16211397
>>16211529
Yeah i knew reducing my weight wouldnt help much. I was really only expecting a 1 or 2mpg gain at most if i went crazy with the weight reduction. Thanks
>>
File: IMG_2922.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px)
IMG_2922.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
>>16212764
That may not work because it looks like it wrecked itself on its own.
>>
>>16213407
that would work! if the ford internal antitheft system wasn't damaged. it did its job of stoping the theft but also stoping it from starting at all! All the information that i can find on it says that i would need to replace the parts and get a second key cut and reprogram the truck and the keys.
>>
File: 1440033033038.jpg (64KB, 599x495px) Image search: [Google]
1440033033038.jpg
64KB, 599x495px
>shitbox sitting in garden
>new battery in the summer
>start car occasionally
>leave it for over a month
>battery is dead

Charged the battery for a few hours and the car fired up again

Any problems with disconnecting a battery terminal when im not planning on moving the car ? (for now)

Going to check around for dodgy looking wires and check the alternator when it isn't sub zero temperatures all the damn time
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.