[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it bad to replace a timing belt alone without the pulleys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: images-53.jpg (26KB, 477x308px) Image search: [Google]
images-53.jpg
26KB, 477x308px
Is it bad to replace a timing belt alone without the pulleys and pump kit?
Engine is a toyota 1mz fe with 125,000kms (80,000ish miles)
Family mechanic said he could see a little bit of the belt and it needs replacing, he quoted $1200 to do it, or I could do it myself (im pretty decent with standard maintenance) for $300 for the kit or $100 for just the belt

Im looking at selling the car soon, so I dont want to spend too much on it, only what will hold for a good amount of time
>>
The bigger question is why?

If you're selling the car soon anyway, why put any additional effort that isn't needed? You can check if your timing is off to see if it's in bad shape, and it's a decent amount of effort to tear everything down. On top of that, the pump is usually more prone to failure than any timing component.
>>
>>16189320
Ive researched the replacement for a couple of weeks and honestly I think I can do it
>>
>>16189320
I mean my general rule of thumb is do it all why you're there. If it's not going to be a hellish nightmare to do it then do it.
>>
>>16189338
He said its in a state where it could go at any time and I need my car for a daily to and from work
>>
>>16189346
Not to mention I dont want to deal with it happening to the next owner a week after I sell it and having to deal with that
>>
>>16189346
Are you selling the car or not?
>>
>>16189360
In a couple of months
Im restricted to what car I can own until then because Australia, and I want to buy a manual turbo next
>>
>>16189320
Just do it all and use that as a benefit to sell it
>>
>>16190454
This. Kept receipts for the parts if needed.Then advertise your car as having the timing belt freshly replaced. Major selling point for someone who doesn't want to fiddle with the engine for a long time.

Don't be too picky. It's only 300$ on a machine you regularly use and that will fall on the hands of another owner.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.