[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I weasel my way out of this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: accident.png (43KB, 1720x774px) Image search: [Google]
accident.png
43KB, 1720x774px
Hey /o/,

Today I got into a sort of ambiguous parking lot collision in a one-way strip of parking spaces on the side of the building I work at. Pic related. Green is my car, red is his. Blue is supposed to loosely represent my line of sight.

Basically, I saw dude coming, waited for him to pass, and then checked my other blind spot again to make sure there were no more cars coming before I backed out. However, just after he had passed me to where i had enough room to back out, he backed up to take a space that he had already passed.

Nothing like this has really ever happened to me before, so I'm not sure what my odds are really, I'm sort of guessing it's gonna be deemed my fault and i'll have to pay for the scratch just based on where the damage is on either of our cars, but I did find a few nuances I was wondering about when I looked through some fault-determination guidelines.

1. Is he technically going the wrong way by backing up (for a reason other than to pull out of a space) in a one way? I understand this would actually full on put him at fault, the ideal outcome for me since my car has significantly more damage than that prick's (although all that means is I have a dent and a bigger paint scratch).

2. Since we were both backing up, is it true that no one is at fault? I guess what I'm asking is that if any of you have been in an accident with this circumstance, did someone end up at fault anyway or was it upheld?

Finally, if you think I can make a decent case out of any of this, what would be the best way to report it? Also currently thinking about just trying to bluff the dude out of even attempting to get compensation. Thanks!
>>
>>16188734
I personally think its the other guys fault cuz he backed up when he should have kept going. But ill be lurking to hear what others say.
>>
>>16188853
OP here. I definitely agree but I'm curious to hear from people who have either studied accident law or have at least been in a similar accident.

After it happened I was pretty sure it was my fault so I just kinda went with it. But now the more I think about it I'm beginning to think he may actually have even legally been at fault.
>>
>>16188734
It doesn't matter if he was backing up, that could have been a pedestrian or anything still coming.
>>
>>16188959
Are you saying this as a gut reaction to the situation or are you saying that you don't think the rule about both of us backing up applies?
>>
>>16188934
In my state if does not happen on a DOT constructed motorway, its a no fault accident, regardless of what happens.

You'll need to refer to your state law, and jurisdiction.
>>
>>16188734
Technically, you hit him, which leads me to believe it's your fault. However, if you hit him while he was backing up as opposed to just being stopped after backing up then I'd think that's on him since he was technically in the act of going the wrong way.
>>
You were backing and you hit him in the side. You will be held financially liable.
>>
>>16189721
Just because OP hit something doesnt mean OP is at fault, if some dude ran a red light and OP hit the dude instead of the dude hitting OP, it still wouldnt be OP's fault
>>
>>16188734
No you're at fault unfortunately.
I backed into someone in a parking lot at Walmart once. She was parked in the shade against a shipment container in a redzone. I didn't see her because the sun shines on my rear windshield where I also had a shade on it. Didn't help her car was black too.

I was found completely at fault even though she was parked illegally.
Your insurance won't go up. It's a tiny thing man don't worry about it.
>>
>>16188734
Personally think it's his fault, since he backed up on a one-way strip, but I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome is similar to >>16191062 since you were backing up onto a roadway and hit him.

That sucks, though, man.
>>
>>16191062
It's not the same situation, the guy started reversing as OP did.

OP signalled his intentions and had the car in reverse. His reverse lights were visible to the driver of the other car. The other driver not seeing it means they aren't paying attention.

Nobody has right of way in a reversing situation, but OP signalled first, which should have let the other driver know his intentions. Them reversing as OP was reversing means they are at fault for not being aware of their surroundings before placing themselves in a no-right-of-way situation.
>>
>>16191062
Normally, sure. But this IS a one-way so OP can use this to his advantage.

How did the other driver feel about this, though?
>>
Jesus Christ, situations like this always make me butthurt. It is important to drive defensively because there are so many retards on the street driving. They'd rather put someone else's property in danger rather than spend some time looking for another parking spot. He wasn't supposed to be driving backwards on a road where it's one way, but you did hit him where you could have stopped in time to honk your horn and call him an asshole. Best bet would be to call the mother fucker and tell him to fix your car or you are suing. Tell him it's drivers like them that make driving a nuisance rather than an enjoyment.
>>
>>16193248
Move into the country
Gonna eat a lot of peaches
Move into the country
Move into the country
Move into the country
Move into the country
>>
I dunno if that would even be called weaseling, the other person was traveling the wrong direction on a one-way road, and reversed behind a car that itself was reversing out. You couldn't have predicted that
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.