[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Issues/Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 262011.jpg (39KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
262011.jpg
39KB, 900x600px
/o/, I've finally saved up around $5,500 to spend on a new (to me) car.

I've always wanted an RX-7, but seeing as the 90's models are rare in the states, I'd like to pick up an RX-8.

My biggest concern is that I hear the apex seals blow just before 100,000 miles, and the cheapest ones I can find run about 5k at 72,000.

I'm just looking to get a car that will last me another two-three years of driving between two cities, and that being said, do you think this would be a worth-whole investment? I guess I'm looking for owners who have either regretted their purchase or who have learned valuable maintenance lessons from their ownership.

Thanks a ton.
>>
>>16187755
If you want a daily driver, there's much better choices than an RX-8 (or any rotary vehicle for that matter).

If you want a fun, RWD car, then look into something like a Miata, MR2, or early 2000's G35 (Nissan, I know, but they're actually tough as nails).
>>
>>16187755
3rd gen MR2

similar price range
no rotary
>>
Buy a v8 Mustang with fewer than 110k miles retard
>>
>>16187784
The G35 drinks as much oil as the RX8, so if you're gonna pick between these two I'd get the RX8 because it atleast drinks oil intentionally.
>>
>>16187818
this
you're a fucking fag if you don't get a V8 for 5 grand
>>
>>16187819
That's because the gaskets are shit and tend to cause leaks due to warping. If you simply use a highly viscous synthetic (I put 10W-30 in mine), the leaking should stop. I only have to change the oil about every 9-10 months, but I guess someone who puts more miles on theirs might need to do so more often.
>>
OP my first car was a 1990 RX7 convertible and it was bulletproof. The transmission shift linkages disconnected at about 175,000 miles so I couldnt drive it but it still ran juuuust fine. Unfortunately I never got around to fixing it and its been sitting for years. I wouldnt be surprised if it started right up with a new battery, though.

I never had a breakdown or unexpected failure. The car was super reliable. I cant speak for RX8s but my experience with my 90 was a very good one. Plus, the oil filter sits on top of the engine which makes oil changes much, much easier / cleaner. (I replace the filter every time I change the oil, some people dont.)
>>
>>16187755
Look for one of the later years. A lot of people premix 2 stroke oil to help lubricate the seals. Expect shit gas mileage. There was recently a recall because of a gas leak iirc.
>>
>>16187755
The apex seal thing is completely exaggerated by retards who didn't know how to take care of it properly/parrot what they read on the internet.

NA rotary cars are perfectly reliable if you let them warm up, premix them, and change the oil on time.

With the Rx8 you need to get better ignition coils though because the stock ones can cause some problems. Also remember to redline it at least once every time you drive it to clear carbon out of the engine.
>>
OP please DO NOT buy RX7/RX8 rotary car as DD. Everyone I have ever known to do this has had annoyance and constant problems. RX7/RX8 are great hobby cars.
>>
>>16187784
>>16187810
>>16187818
>>16187829
I want an RX series vehicle because of the fact that it's a rotary. They interest me.
>>
>>16188607
the stereotypes of the rx8 come from the 2004 and previous models. Mazda fixed a lot of the stuff post 2006. If you can't afford one from '06 or later then they really aren't worth buying. I would save up for a late model. iirc they make a handful more horsepower too.
>>
>used to think the RX8 was ugly
>now it's starting to look good in comparison to the concepts of what the RX9 will look like
>>
>>16188880
What about an '04 model with an Idemitsu oil pump and a straight pipe with only 70,000 miles on it for like 4.8k?
>>
>>16187755
cheapest i see running are all 3k. they dont even go past 6k in my state.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.