[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just want a good sounding car stereo but i dont know where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 43b0b167-7650-3343.jpg (87KB, 982x586px) Image search: [Google]
43b0b167-7650-3343.jpg
87KB, 982x586px
I just want a good sounding car stereo but i dont know where to start. I have a pioneer head unit so far and im going to get a 1200 watt Dual amplifier from a friend in very good condition, not a scratch on it.

What speakers are good?
What subwoofer is good?
I want good sound. I dont want to annoy the car next to me.

My car is a 98 Buick Century.
>>
>>16184771
Without a budget, impossible. Just get a decent set of components and a good amp to drive them (i.e. listen to them at best buy and buy online). A sub with stock speakers is going to sound terrible.
>>
>>16184848
Ok, guess my budget is around $600 or so. Would like to spend less but thats what i have thats totally free.
>>
>>16184771
keep it stock. you know there's 600 bucks worth of repairs that need to be done.
>>
File: 1451583219539.jpg (51KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
1451583219539.jpg
51KB, 400x323px
>>16184989

Surely there has to be a better use of $600 on an almost 20yr car. New bushings, suspension, brakes etc?
>>
Rockford Fosgate Prime 2-way / split are good bang/buck
Get a random 4 channel amp that does at least 20wrms per channel
Don't touch any of the big brand name (sony, kicker, etc) subs outside of alpine

Go learn the difference between watts and RMS watts, go learn how to set up resistance (ohms) for multi channel amps if you're going to be running the sub off a 2 channel

Find your countries cheap sound deadening material, in australia this Jaycars stuff and get as much as you can without cutting too much into your budget. At the very least, a bit behind the door speakers and on the boot lid.

Go here:
http://www.bcae1.com/
>>
Here's what i'd do with $600 assuming you already have a headunit with 3 RCA outputs (front, rear, sub).
Firstly, your speakers are 5.25" in the front and 6x9 in the rear, you might be able to get 6" in the front but for now let's just roll with it:

2x 4 Gauge amp wiring kits off ebay - $50
Pioneer 4 channel amp, 40wrms/channel - $90
Rockford Fosgate P152-S (front speakers) - $100
Rockford Fosgate R169X3 (rear speakers) - $50
The '1200w' dual channel amp you're getting - $0
Rockford Fosgate R2D4-10 (sub) - $100

$390, call it $400.

You now have $200 to spend on sound deadener, wood to make a sub box (as big as you can get, just go sealed don't bother with a port, better sound quality that way), other wood to potentially make the speakers mount better, various other bits and pieces etc.

If your head unit only has 1 speaker output, the should be able to run the 4 channel off it but you won't be able to adjust fade and might need to split the RCAs depending on the amp
>>
>>16185530
Nothing wrong with the car.

I like music.
>>16185604
Sounds good. Found the Fosgate R2 for $60 aswell!
Is ANY amp kit good as long as its 4 guage?
>>
>>16184771
>Dual 1200W amp

So it's really a 400W RMS amp if that
Start simple and get the head unit, then start looking for amps because they're what you should be spending the majority of your budget on, you want a higher RMS rating for output, not peak power, then upgrade the speakers but not without their own amps because aftermarket replacement speakers sound like shit when powered off the deck, then get the subs
>>
>>16185552
Will do. Though i should say i have a friend who has a Kicker Solo Classic 15 inch subwoofer, it sounds remarkable! I haven't heard Alpine yet.
>>
>>16186989
Wait, so the Dual isn't 1200 watts??? What?
>>
>>16186992
It's "peak power" rating is 1200, its true regulated output(RMS) is more like 300-400
Dual is literally Pyramid/Boss tier junk
>>
>>16187017
So Dual is trash?
What amp should i get?
>>
>>16189212
There's decent stuff out there, check out sonicelectronix dot com
>>
>$600 sound system
That's pretty much exactly what I did, and I fucking love the sound I get out of it. Makes commuting 100 miles a day worth it. Car is a Sunfire, so much smaller than yours, but for 600 you can fill up that volume of space with plenty of sound.

>Alpine 3x6s in front, sound ok on head unit, wound great amped. Strong mids/highs
>Rockford Fosgate 6x9's in back. Great for mids
>Rockford Fosgate 10" sub in trunk. Good bass w/out being overpowering. Enough power to vibrate stuff, but sounds best at a low level. An 8" probably would've been plenty for extended listening periods. A little slow on the attack.
>Rockford Fosgate ~400W rms (I think) amp in trunk. Works well.

Sorry for bad greentext format. I noticed it halfway through and am too lazy to change.

Other things to consider:
>patch cables: low level signal from deck to amp. Make sure you get them long enough to reach.
>power/ground wire for amp. Mine was 4guage but 8 is probably plenty.
>speaker wire to get high level signal from amp to speakers. Make sure you have enough.

I also bought a new deck and I think overall it ran me a little under 600. I installed it all with my old man and it took us 3 full days to get everything in, so if you plan to DIY it, prepare for a big project.

People put a lot of attention on subs and amps, and the amp is important, but consider that you'll be hearing your front speakers primarily while driving. Don't skimp on those. Rears are usually gonna be bigger and will help fill the cabin, and also fill in mids/lows, so clarity isn't as important, but you want them loud enough to reach you. Wiring was definitely the most stressful part, I essentially had to rip out almost every trim piece in my car, so if you want it faster/stress free, factor a professional installation cost into your budget.
>>
>>16189212
Look at any of the mid level amps, Rockford fosgate, kicker, high end sound stream and power acoustik, ppi, and pioneer amps are all pretty solid. Those are just the ones I have experience with, the boss ar2000 are a good budget option pushing 800 watts rms at 2 ohms, the are powerful to run 2 decent sized twelves. For a sub, I would look at soundqubed. They make an amazing sub for a good price, there heavy duty street subs are made for sound quality and spl and are under 200, they will outperform just about any sub under 300 bucks. I have 2 of their heavy duty comp 18 inch subs and it shakes building from a 1/4 mile away in a 12 cube box
>>
File: 655933752-alpine-audio-white.jpg (38KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
655933752-alpine-audio-white.jpg
38KB, 800x800px
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.