[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying a car in the US as a tourist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: car in pool.jpg (46KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
car in pool.jpg
46KB, 500x328px
Soup /o/
me and a friend are visiting the US next year and we need a car. Renting is too expensive so we would like to buy something outright, use it for about a month and then sell it at a loss (to get rid of it quick)

We have no problems finding and buying a car, what we're worried about is registering and insuring it.
We have friends that will let us use their US address, is that enough or are we fucked without proof of our own residence in the US?

From the research that I've done it sounds like it won't be too much of a problem to register the car, but I couldn't find much info on insuring it.
cheers.
>>
>>16181005
Just get someone to register and insure it as if it was theirs and then borrow the car
>>
File: CarpoolingWrong.png (451KB, 611x606px) Image search: [Google]
CarpoolingWrong.png
451KB, 611x606px
>>16181005
>>
>>16181005
How is renting too expensive? It can't be more expensive buying a decent car for 2500 bucks. Why not just Uber and ride a train.
>>
>>16181005
OregonFag here. Shitty advice time.

Registration is a joke. It only needs it if the tags are expiring, and you plan to keep it. Although not technically legal, most people here get the title, sign it, and just not register it until they need to.

You technically have 7 days (approximately) to register it from the date of sale. If the seller doesn't date the title, you're golden, until it needs tags. It is a common courtesy in Oregon between private sales to not date the title. Then you just go register when you want to with no ill effects. Or you can just sell it without registering it with the previous owner's signature on the title, and then there is really no record of you owning it. Pretty ass-backwards.

If you get pulled over, have the title in hand and just say you bought it a few days ago and haven't registered it. You will get a ticket, but if you register it before your court date, they drop the charges and just charge you administrative fee, however you MUST appear to your court date.

Not sure how foreign ID would go over, but in the states I can just walk in to any insurance provider with the VIN of the car and get insurance in about 20 minutes. No registration is required.
>>
>>16181005
You have to be a resident in any state to title a vehicle. You have to have a title to plate.

Expiration and plates are different by state though. In Cali the plate goes with the vehicle, here (Colorado) it stays with the owner.

Your best bet is to find a state like Cali and make sure the tags are good for your whole trip. Insurance should be through your own company, you can't really buy a policy anymore that isn't tired to a vehicle, although you insure first based on VIN and then take it to the dmv to register, proving you have insured said vehicle. Since you are never going to dmv you might be able to insure but I think they'd get hung up on you being an alien.
>>
>>16184223
i titled my car without us driver license while being non resident alien and working temporarily here.
proof of address and some other stuff was required though.

>>16181005
can you register the car on your friend's behalf?
regarding insurance, i didn't have any problems with statefarm, just get the basic liability coverage.
they even accept international credit cards.
>>
>>16184118
>more of a pain in the ass than actually registering the car in an hour or so
wew
>>
>>16184924
LAfag, I wish it was only an hour
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.