[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BreaksMyWallet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 1366861313466.jpg (646KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1366861313466.jpg
646KB, 1920x1080px
So I want to get into BMW but everywhere I look it's complaints about constant repair costs and I was wondering if there is any reliable non-bankrupting BMWs?

What about other German brands?
>>
BENZ
E
N
Z
>>
>>16169306
>worried about ass raping maintenance
Buy a civic and STFU
>>
File: 9F156694-2sm.jpg (133KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
9F156694-2sm.jpg
133KB, 900x598px
>>16169311
yeah to be honest I like benz better, but I also wanted to continue driving stick
>>
>>16169319
Well, you're gonna have to spend some serious coin if you want to drive stick with a Benz, I wouldnt worry about them being auto considered ng they make the best automatics of all the Germans anyway
>>
Not OP but how is e36 m3 in terms of reliability and finances?
>>
>>16169530

good

only thing that really goes wrong with them is the cooling system.

>>16169306
>believing the repair cost memes

the most expensive things i had to do in my BMW were parts of the cooling system and suspension.

nothing else
>>
File: tfghb.jpg (92KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
tfghb.jpg
92KB, 960x640px
E36 is fairly cheap in regards of parts and you can do most of everything yourself, really easy.

>>16169530
>>16169538
You can get a cooling system overhaul from bavauto or pelican for like $250
I upgraded mine, went with a big mishimoto efan while I was at it
Very simple car all around
>>
File: 13557808820.jpg (218KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
13557808820.jpg
218KB, 1280x852px
>>16169530
Anything made out of rubber or that uses glue/plastic is falling apart and due for replacement after 20+ years. This means:

>Interior
Headliner, door cards/door panels, glovebox door, seat gear, wood trim if you have a luxury package will delaminate

>Drivetrain
Valve cover gasket + oil control valve, misc. vacuum lines/seals, driveshaft carrier bearing and guibo, motor and transmission mounts, shifter bushings and assembly (why it'll have slop like a 1980s pickup shifter), cooling system including rad/pump and fan clutch + fan blades, ALL joint/bushing in the suspension by now if its all original, rear diff mounts and rear subframe bushings (a joy to do), exhaust mounts

Other problem points: Trunk wiring harnesses (if your OBC says you have a bad bulb in the tail lights or license plate lights and changing the bulb didn't fix it...), and window regulators (you'll find out when you have a window fall down)

And if you track it you have to watch out for:
Rear shock mounts (likely already torn if you're not sure)
Trailing arm bushing pockets (fatigues and tears out)
Oil pump nut working itself loose at high rpms

Fun cars, just don't get one as a daily driver. I'm serious. You buy one because you like it. No other reason.

Cheap to fix when you compare individual parts to other cars and realize you're getting OEM parts for the cost of a shitty aftermarket, but not too fun when you realize you're changing shit that's probably still good on a similar vintage Japanese car.

If you want a track rat there's better options: Used Miata, RX-8, or Corvette. The RX-8 especially is a direct competitor.

If you want a daily driver, you buy a newer E46, Nissan Z/G car, or a Lexus IS. I'd recommend the G35.
>>
>>16169319
Get a w124 or w201
>Stick
>RWD
>Comfy
>Sexy late 80s/early 90s aesthetics
>Almost reliable
I love my w124 more than anything
>>
File: bmw e36.jpg (293KB, 1599x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bmw e36.jpg
293KB, 1599x1200px
get a mid 90s 3-series, the e36 platform
budget time and money to completely replace all the cooling system bits as soon as you get it.
budget time and money to replace the window regulators every now and again

they tend to be pretty solid
>>
>>16169306

Any old car is going to need maintenance unless the previous owner did it for you.
>>
If you buy beaten up 3 series the maitance is going to cost you a fortune.
I bought 16 y/o e39 525d from Itally for 2.6k (including taxes and registration). After changing all fluids water pump, brake pads, filters (air, oil, fuel) and the rear shocks the total sum reached 3.3k
>>
>>16169306
Older BMWs and Benzes are good. Benzes tend to be more reliable, but more of a bitch when something breaks, whereas BMWs are easier to fix but tend to break a bit more often.

Don't even consider Audi, they're shit. Unreliable garbage as well as a bitch to fix.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.