[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tool discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: snaponlogo.jpg (89KB, 694x271px) Image search: [Google]
snaponlogo.jpg
89KB, 694x271px
I've been recently wanting to expand my tool collection because all I have is an alright ratchet and socket set and some wrenches (mostly US craftsman)

to keep some acceptable quality in my tool set should I just continue with USA craftsman tools? I can't afford snap on, nor do I have any interest spending that much on tools when it'll just be me wrenching at home

what tool brands does /o/ recommend?
>>
>>16158630
Get Snap On.
>>
Pittsburgh
>>
>>16158634
>using a 300 dollar wrench set to do basic maintenance on my shitbox

no thank you

>>16158638
pittsburgh is admittedly a good value for some tools, but I'm not gonna make my whole tool set cheap chinese crap
>>
>>16158630
For a weekend warrior the Horrible Fright shit is more than good enough. Or hit up estate and garage sales.
>>
File: 20140715_104808.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px)
20140715_104808.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I really like my craftsman stuff, it's great for everything I use around the truck.

the game changer was getting a makita 20v electric impact driver and a set of milwaukee bits and adapters to use sockets on. that thing is so light and awesome.
>>
File: 20151208_154117.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151208_154117.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>16159007
Craftsman is made in china now sadly, btw using harden steel chrome sockets on an impact can wear out your impacts anvil and the socket could crack/shatter.

I use mostly Snap-On, but also many brands as a Tech.
>>
Just use anything with a lifetime no hassle warranty. Aka Kobalt aka Pittsburgh aka Craftsman.

Anything that doesn't have such warranty is worth spending a little more money on.

Snapped the socket part of a Kobalt ratchet while I had a pipe on the end of it, went to the store and walked out with a new one in under 10 minutes.
>>
>>16158630
Sonic tools are really nice for the price, but honestly if you're a weekend warrior Harbor Freight / Canadian Tire tools should be perfectly fine
>>
>>16159050
Muh dick.

And yeah I know I bought a really shitty mini to box in 3/8 and I'm using those sockets until they're no longer square

Here's what my old boss managed to do at work once
>>
File: 1359409802297.jpg (119KB, 478x640px) Image search: [Google]
1359409802297.jpg
119KB, 478x640px
>>16160429
shit socket or grade 1.1 bolt? either way, that looks neat as fuck lol.

I've got snappy tools out the ass, but I'm no longer work professionally, so a lot of it feels like a waste. My body couldn't (or perhaps didn't want to) handle full time mechanic work.

Wrenching on the weekends is much more fun and fulfilling when I didn't have to do manufacturer recommended services all week.

pic unrelated
>>
>>16160456
Metric bolt with an sae socket. Bad combo.
>>
>>16159050
>Craftsman is made in china now
I think Pittsburgh wrenches are better now too.
>>
>>16160469
oh man, you ever put a 21mm socket onto a 19mm nut? THE FUCKIN RACKET THAT SHIT WILL MAKE!

I never had good extensions, never had one fail and I'm a "hack mechanic" according to a lot of /o/. I didn't torque a lot of things and I liked using air tools. I bought HF extensions when I was stateside (Canada-fag) and they never broke. It would've been an IR impact gun and a snappy socket, so the HF extension would definitely be the weak link in that chain.

Had a torque stick for wheels, but a lot of suspension components were torqued to 2 brapps and stuff like that. Ditto for axle nuts, I've only torqued like a handful of them, usually BRAPPPPPP until it lines up with the removal marks.

Brakes and most other work were done by hand. ANYTHING internal was torqued to spec though.
>>
>>16160497
I'm pretty much the same.

Fuck those people that say you need to tighten lugs to a certain speed, tighten them until they're good and on there
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.