[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ST to Japan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: badge.jpg (56KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
badge.jpg
56KB, 500x375px
I want to take a 2014 Ford Focus ST from California to Japan with me. It's a base model and hasn't been modified in any way. Assuming I have the money, what needs to happen to make an American car street legal in Japan
>>
>>16157898
>ST
>Base model
>>
Base models are better. It's kinda like the ST3, just without the dumb shit.
>>
I know its going to have to pass shaken, although I don't have a list of the inspection points for that.

Its under 2.0 liter, so it should qualify for a 500Y plate.

But I know I'm missing things. Has anyone ever taken something to japan?
>>
You'll spend thousands to get it sent over there, and then you'll have to fork over $450 in engine displacement taxes, another $200 for weight taxes, probably another $200 in assorted "recycling fees" and other bullshit before the car has even moved once.

Oh, and do you have a parking space? If you don't have a parking space you can't register a vehicle. They can be $100 a month, with an upfront, non-refundable payment of $200 to $300.

Just buy something you can't get in the states and enjoy it.

Oh, and gas is probably like $5 or $6 a gallon currently.
>>
>>16157901
>i didnt know that trims could also come in base form
Pro tip, the mustang GT has a 'base model', which is the bare bones mustang GT
>>
>>16158363
Money isn't the question I asked.

Parking is easy. I can get that at the Japanese Police Precinct. The house I'll have has more than enough driveway space.

Japan already has a lot of Japanese cars.

I want to know the Japanese procedures for importing a car. Not the run-of-the-mill registration shit. I already know that.
>>
Are US cars street legal in Japan as-is? Does anything need to be modified?
>>
>>16158511
Ask to a yakuza because for some reasons they have left hand drive cars.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/give-way-to-yakuza-15340
>>
>>16158511
>I want to know the Japanese procedures for importing a car.

>Car arrives in Japan
>Paperwork is filled out
>Money Paid
>Car is checked- fixed/modified as needed
>Car can be driven on Japanese roads

The big issues you'll run into are likely any changes or modifications you'll have to make to the exterior lighting- amber turn signals, proper aim, etc. Then, I believe you'll need folding mirrors. Other than that you should be fine.
>>
>>16158563
Wow. What a kuck. Yakuza are not homicidal rampagers. Just don't be a dick around em. They still enjoy talking to people. They're still human. I just wouldn't tell one no too often.

>>16158585
Thanks. This is closer to what I'm looking for. Any idea on where I can get a list of what their looking for?
>>
>>16158608

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8BSe-A6iBI
>>
>>16158620
Never seen that video before. Thanks. That should cover shakken.
>>
>>16157898
>I want to take a 2014 Ford Focus ST from California to Japan with me.

Are you aware of the visual perspective difficulty of driving your left side driver car in japan where cars and roads are based upon a right hand driver? When you use a drive-through machine it will be won the wrong side. So no drive-thru dispensaries, drive-by postal boxes, drive-by banking, drive-by drop offs, drive by vending machines, and of course no drive-through restaurant windows. All those are for right hand driver cars.

Please note that some roads are lined at the curb by curb-side metal fencing. The road is narrow so you don't want to scrape the side of your car on those rails which you cannot see because you are on the left side. Your passenger door totally blocks the view.

As the other poster said, you do need a parking spot of your own in Japan for that car to justify that you are not encroaching upon other people when you buy a bring in a car. As for driving in the city, I saw very few spaces available as compared to american cities. It's not like there are lots of parking garages like in american downtowns. Parking garages are by various department stores and many have attendants to check on your parking. Work of course supplies you with a parking spot for a fee in some cases. Yes, you pay to go to work if you drive.

In the city, I had a good time using rail and walking. One doesn't have to walk very far as the big cities are more like a collection of a zillion small communities each with a shopping plaze or combi store.

Ahh, it's winter. I miss the winter time oden at the convenience stores and that particular way their daicon juices fill my mouth.
>>
>>16158717

>Aware of difficulty
Yes.
>Drive throughs
Don't need them
>Parking spot
Taken care of

I also enjoy rail and walking, but I didn't come to /o/ to ask about mass transit and tourism.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.