[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best way to approach tire setup for cornering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1450039436049.jpg (87KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1450039436049.jpg
87KB, 960x960px
hey /o/,

what do you guys consider to be the best approach for setting up tires for optimal grip in corners assuming that every other part of the suspension has been properly upgraded?

From what I understand there's two camps- people that go as wide / large a wheel as they can and then run tires with less sidewall, and people that run stock rims and just buy tires with grippier compounds. I used to think that I was in group A until I started doing some reading online and heard about the fact that wider tires have contact patches that are larger laterally but not straight, and have less weight per square inch on the contact patch than stock rims.

If my current stock rims are 16"x7.5" running 225/45/16s, and the car weighs around 3000 lbs (pigfat), where should I go for the best grip for cornering? Should I just buy really nice, grippy summer slicks for the stock size or spend some money on larger/wider rims and get wider tires for those? Do rims wider by an inch or two really make that big of a difference over just buying the nicest performance tires I can get for my size and running those?
>>
I have never heard of the weight/insq change in contact patch effecting grip. I have heard of having too big a tire/wheel and having that slow you down but that was just for drag.

From what I've read, tire compound is the biggest thing you can do for more grip. If you can afford lighter/wider/bigger wheels and sticky tires then yeah go for it but if not just the sticky tires will be good too.

Thinking about the weight/insq of contact patch again, couldn't that be adjusted for by changing your spring/dampening rate? Or by adding down force?
>>
>>16154885
I dont think weight has anything to do with handling. The anon above has the right idea, but don't fall into the "pigfat" meme. 4000 lb performance cars handle better than some anon's 2700 lb integra. It's all about suspension setup and tires, so you do have the right idea.
>>
>>16155002

>handle better than the Integra

Unpossible.
>>
>>16154885
Larger wheels = more weight plus worse handling.

Stick with the 16 maybe 17 inch wheels. Wider tires are only going to increase your grip overall, although you can probably experiment with the pressure and get relatively similar results.

FWD or RWD?
>>
>>16154969

>couldn't that be adjusted for by changing your spring/dampening rate?

No.

>Or by adding down force?

Yes. But that can be kind of difficult to do on a normal street car.

I'd say look into what the best performance tires are, then size them as close to appropriate for your car and go with that. You'll probably end up needing new rims anyway.

By that I mean, if the grippiest tire you can find in your size is a 500 treadwear with a 50k mile warranty, you're probably going to want to change rim diameter/width so you can get something with an R compound instead.

Wider tires on a lighter car will drag more, scrub more speed, and take longer to heat up. If you have 800 HP, don't give half a shit about rolling resistance and run endurance races, get the widest tire you can get your hands on.

If you're just looking to have some fun on the way to work, find something with a good compound with good reviews, size it relatively close to your stock tires, slightly bigger is fine, and use that. It'll like as not heat up just fine in regular driving and grip more than you ever actually need.
>>
>>16154885
I'm no expert on this stuff but from what I've seen braking has a lot to do with getting the most out of your tired. The less you brake in the corner itself the more grip I get out of the tires. This all probably really basic to everyone except for me. Just figured I'd give me 2 cents.
>>
>>16154885

http://www.motoiq.com/Tech/TheUltimateGuidetoSuspensionHandling.aspx

Part 1: wheels & tires
>>
>>16154885
God I miss that show.
>>
>>16154969
Fuck, I know buying new rims + tires is probably the better option (so then I can have a set of "all seasons" stock rims to commute on and then a weekend set for autocross/touge), but a set of 225/45/16s ultra high performance tires are pretty cheap. Don't want to buy some and then wear them out commuting though.

>>16155002
Huh, does weight really not have that much to do with handling? What about weight transfer in turns? If your car is heavier won't there be more weight shifting around?

>>16155080
RWD.

>>16155102
My car's not that powerful so going for fuckwide rims could gimp it a bit. I'm looking at tires for my size and it seems that bridgestone potenza re11's are fairly affordable in that category.

>>16155135
Thanks, I'll read through this.
>>
File: klbfgkggymp8aa1rbcwc.jpg (2MB, 6000x3376px) Image search: [Google]
klbfgkggymp8aa1rbcwc.jpg
2MB, 6000x3376px
I love threads like these, mainly because i learn about shit i have no clue about.

Wish /o/ was more like this instead of shitposting central.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.