[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Project Cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 83 Falcon.jpg (177KB, 933x700px) Image search: [Google]
83 Falcon.jpg
177KB, 933x700px
I've been trying to find a hobby for a while.
Honestly I know jack all about cars although I've started learning since I bought my first. But I enjoy working with my hands and understanding mechanical systems.
So I want to ask some questions so I know what I'm getting in to
First off where do I start? What do I look for in a project car and what kind of things do you want to do on it? (like do people typically get a rustbucket back in working order or rice something up)? Where can I learn more about it?
I fancy a Datsun but would that make a good project car? What's the cost like (for Datsun and project cars in general)
Cheers
>>
There is absolutely no point in buying a generic shitbox and trying to fix it up or restore it. 9 times out of 10 it won't be worth the time you sink into it and you're better off buying the same car in good condition.

For example the XE Falcon. Worth nothing unless it is a V8 or the ESP model. You can buy cars that are faster, handle better, more reliable and most importantly CHEAPER from the late 90s and early 00s.

Buy something you think is going to appreciate with time, or that you think is a bargain.

Falcon XR8s or untouched XR6 Turbos
Commodore SS
E36 BMWs (325 and 328i in manual)
E39 BMWs (540i)

Basically you want something that is bottoming out in used car prices but still has the potential to be a classic
>>
>>16154841
OP clearly states he wants a hobby/something to keep himself busy, not everyone is into cars to try and make a profit Shekelstein.

>>16154772
Going off the XD/XE you just posted i assume you're an ausfag. Old Datsuns and Corollas are a very good 'introduction' car to learn on as they're forgiving to less-than-stellar workmanship, everything is metric AND most people into them are helpful with info and parts.

Stay away from old mazdas unless you enjoy dealing with dodgy lebos and dumbfuck maoris (personal experience).

Cost is dependant on the overall existing condition of the car and how far you want to go with it. A common saying is 'take your budget/timeframe and double it', i scoffed at that saying but 1 year later and i've realised it's completely true.
>>
>>16154857

>OP clearly states he wants a hobby/something to keep himself busy, not everyone is into cars to try and make a profit Shekelstein.

OY VEY I'VE BEEN FOUND OUT
>>
>>16154857
*CONT*

Old Holdens (HQ era) are very easy to restore thanks to the almost cockroach-like number of them and the availability of reproduction parts thanks to rare spares, just be prepared to pay a fair bit for a good shell and deal with knuckledragging baby boomers.

XR-XC Falcons are out of most peoples budget and the models before that (XK-XP) whilst cheap and reliable are a bit finicky to work on thanks to dumbfuck imperial fixings.

Feel free to ask any more questions m8, ill try to keep an eye on this thread :^)
>>
>>16154772
an XE falcon is an excellent choice. Its a basic bitch pushrod I6 thats very easy to work on and service due to the RWD layout and large engine bay, not to mention they generally are for sale cheap and parts cheaper. XFs are cheaper but i prefer the XE interior and exterior styling.

My first car i bought was a shitbox Ke30, i payed $500 and it had a fucked head and a shitted out cooling system. I payed around 500-600 bucks in parts to replace what was broken and renew anything i could on the cheap. In the end i found it very rewarding because the car is now in good, healthy condition. Datsuns i imagine would be a similar experience, where its easy to work on and learn with, but between an old Datsun and a Corolla, Datsuns are more expensive in general.

For learning to throw spanners cheap as an ausfag, i would recommend
>VB-VK Commodore
>XE-XF Falcon
>Any datsun
>ke10-ke70/ae71 corolla
>an old mazda 323/929
>Gemini's
>Chrysler Galants, Chrysler Lancers and Sigma's
mainly because the basic principles of pushrods or incredibly simple layout are good aids in learning
>>
>>16154857
>>16154927

Alright thanks for the advice

I'm still wondering what kind of condition I should aim for; for example looking at the datsuns on gumtree there's a bunch that needs work for around $1-2k.
For example this one
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/craigieburn/cars-vans-utes/datsun-120y-fastback/1128943565
Would something like that be a bad idea? Should I look for something in better condition? How much would I expect to spend on something like that?

And where can I learn how to work on them? Are there any good books on this sort of thing or would I want to look at the model specific manual?

Some of those Chryslers look pretty nice too I have to say.
>>
>>16154927
Great advice here.

>>16155008
I would stay far away from a car in that poor of a condition mate, that will be very difficult for a beginner to bring back from the dead. Its certainly not impossible by any means but there is plenty of time and money to be put into that, seeing as its your first build you want to make sure you don't lose motivation or get bogged down on fiddly little bits.

I've always recommended that people spend a bit more and get a mostly original car that is registered and still running, learning how to tweak carburetors and change IGN components is a good introduction before you attempt a full blown resto.

If you can afford it, something like this would be perfect:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maryborough/cars-vans-utes/1981-toyota-corolla-cs/1123177186
>>
Is it possible to fit this bodykit off a xd onto a xf? I've always wanted this bodykit but xd's are hard to come by where I live
>>
File: images (2).jpg (29KB, 458x321px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
29KB, 458x321px
>>16155143
Forgot pic
>>
>>16155143
Buy standard XD bumpers off gumtree for bugger all and see if they fit the XF, pretty cheap+easy way to work out if the aftermarket kit will fit
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.