[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

scantools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0016.jpg (30KB, 304x276px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0016.jpg
30KB, 304x276px
hey guys just bought a new scantool. Is there a place where i type in the code and see what it is i need to replace/fix?

pic not related
>>
File: Capture.png (14KB, 730x339px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
14KB, 730x339px
>>16143911
>>
>>16143915
sorry i'm kinda new to this
>>
>>16143959
welcome to the internet friend
>>
>>16143911
>not buying a bluetooth reader and getting the code direct on your phone
>>
>>16144207
do the bluetooth readers get all the codes?
like obd, srs and abs codes?
I've got a shitty fone so I've kinda shied away from these type of scantools, but after losing a $300 innova scanner I'm thinking about going cheap.
>>
>>16144228
Seconding this
>>
File: Race_queen.jpg (205KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Race_queen.jpg
205KB, 720x1080px
>>16144228
Read the archived threads on scan tools. There are nice apps for your smartphone that turn them into real time OBD2 readers from the OBD2 tools that have bluetooth. Those devices broadcast the latest data updates and thus you have real time (5sec, 30sec) updates. The reason why there are so many wires under the hood is that all the modern cars are expensively instrumented and monitored by the car computer. So you already have the diagnostic tools under your hood. The OBD2 bluetooth device will let you see that data.

http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15507015/o-i-need-a-basic-obdii-scanner-to-read-the

http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15536719/
>>
File: tool_Torque_ELM327_android.jpg (125KB, 1023x588px) Image search: [Google]
tool_Torque_ELM327_android.jpg
125KB, 1023x588px
>>16144396
Here's an example of a OBD2 display using the Torque app. There are other apps of course. You can pick and choose what data is displayed since there are far more data sources that can fit on a screen.

And yes, modern cars have compass directions. My chebby shows my heading on the dash in a nice inobtrusive way with a few letters like N, SW, NE. That data is available on OBD2 in that car too. When there are car accidents, the highway patrol plugs into the OBD2 to collect data of how the car was driving right before the accident. So they know if the ABS brakes were on or not too.
>>
File: tool_Torque_ELM327_android_2.jpg (93KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
tool_Torque_ELM327_android_2.jpg
93KB, 960x540px
>>16144396
And here is an example of what someone else set up for their app display.
>>
File: racequeen_orindo.jpg (148KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
racequeen_orindo.jpg
148KB, 720x1080px
>>16144228
>>16144396
They aren't magical, but they can give you a second opinion if you take the car in to the Stealership or some other independent shop and they tell you a list of repairs you need that conflicts with the data you have.

But if you do your own wrenching, then it's the right kind of magic you need. Even if it doesn't have a tracking function to find pearl white trucks with distinguished service logos.
>>
>>16143959
Have you even tried putting it into google phaggot
>>
>>16144228
I bought a $12 Panlong OBDII Bluetooth scanner on Amazon and the Torque app, and it's great. Reads all codes, tells you what it is, and clicking on the code sends you to a Google search of it. It also has a bunch of real-time info which I thought was cool as hell.

One specific real-time info gauge it has (emissions readiness) helped me out a bunch when my O2 sensor's connector pins all fell out and I had to stab them back in, and the diagram on alldata was useless for that. It told me when it was in open/closed loop and if the O2 sensor heater circuit was working, which helped me figure out which wire goes where.
>>
>>16144419
>>16144434
Noice
>>
>>16144207
>bluetooth
android on bluetooth tablets is handy
>>
Perfect timing from OP
I'm going to buy a cheap chinkshit OBD-II bluetooth or wifi on AliExpress
What should I look for? Does anyone have a recommendation?
Is the V1.5 vs V2.0+ difference still important? iirc chinks masked their V1.5 devices as V2.0/2.1 and that caused problems with most programs
>>
>>16146163
The chinese sellers and resellers on Aliexpress supply the Ebay resellers. There are problems with various older versions being sold as new. There are also problems with rejected units being sold as new. The chinese typically keep on reselling rejected units (there is a big market in china for parts, subassemblies, and whole units) that are rejected or out of tolerance. Those reject parts and units are then sold in a secondary or recovery market. Past threads have even posted about how the chinese sell new lithium ion batteries that are made out of used parts recovered from old batteries. The new batteries have counterfeited labeling of brand names. So you as the consumer cannot tell. The batteries can also catch on fire from charging because they also don't have any of the legally required safety features or relief valve mechanics lithium ion cells are required to have.
>>
>>16143911
>Is there a place where i type in the code
You should stop using old school products. All the new school products use bluetooth to send the data to a smartphone or tablet. The app that the company sells or one of the 3rd party software apps (some are freeware) will then interpret the codes for you.

The other advantage of apps is that they display a lot more info than the best handheld OBD2 tools. And they are cheaper or freeware.
>>
>>16143911
if you have a toyota get a mini-vci cable & techstream software
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.