[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mercedes Returns to Straight Six

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Merc STR86.jpg (139KB, 626x383px) Image search: [Google]
Merc STR86.jpg
139KB, 626x383px
http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-gets-inline-benz-switching-from-v-6-to-straight-six-engines/

Mercedes makes its return to the god-tier inline 6.

>at least 402 horsepower
>electric supercharger to eliminate lag
>diesel version coming with over 300 horsepower

Finally BMW has some competition again
>>
i want to like this thing, using electric as a torque fill to smooth out the power curve is really cool but i can't help but see a lot of things to break
>>
Can this one please have a less fucktarded oil filter
>>
>>16124900
will this fit in a wrangler tj?
love me an I-6. smooth diesel engine
>>
>>16124900
Would love to have this kind of tech in my car.
Its coming from Benz, so it's going to be fucking expensive to repair.
>>
>>16124900
Is that an integrated turbo or does that come separately in a different compartment? Can't tell what the silver blob on the left would be.

>>16125219
Too small of an engine for this to be diesel. Plus a larger displacement engine wouldn't fit in your old TJ.
>>
>>16124900
DE JA VU IT'S LIKE I'VE BEEN IN THIS THREAD BEFORE
>>
>This electric supercharger is powered by a 48-volt electrical system, which facilitates two side benefits. The extra electrical energy is used to drive the coolant pump and the A/C compressor via chain instead of a belt from the crankshaft. A combined starter/generator adds a regen function during deceleration, improving efficiency. As with BMW and several other makers, the M256 is a long-stroke design with a half-liter-per-cylinder displacement.

this is not how voltage works, it's not "extra electrical energy"

by the way, if i recall correctly 48 volts should be enough to be dangerous, noice
>>
who cares as long as they keep ther god tier v8's
>>
>>16125293
You can fit a 6BT in a TJ.
But it requires insane modifications.
>>
>>16125226
I've found maintaining a 6 cylinder Mercedes to not be much more expensive then owning a Toyota desu; though I live in LA where every fifth car is a Mercedes and there are German independent shops in every neighborhood. Parts aren't particularly expensive online either.
>>
>>16125215
>oil filter on the top
>fucktarded
What?
>>
>>16125326

Shut up and stop trying to be Mr. Engineer if you cant read and don't know shit
>>
>>16125326
Higher voltage allows greater efficiency because of lower current squared time resistance losses.
>>
>>16125440
>time
times rather
>>
>>16125326
>48V
>dangerous

KEK
You can´t kill yourself with 48V, you don´t even realise if you are touching it with bare hands.

t. used to work on vehicles with 48V and 60V
>>
>>16125326
Learn to read too, the article is stating that the benefits are due to the fact that the supercharger is electrically driven, the fact that it is 48v was just added in order to provide details about the supercharger and does not relate to the following statements.

Fuck why do I even come here
>>
>>16125477

If you knew shit from clay, you'd probably be aware that current kills, voltage burns.

30-50mA at 1V across the chest will put the heart into cardiac arrest.
>>
File: again_wth_the_threading.jpg (72KB, 360x311px) Image search: [Google]
again_wth_the_threading.jpg
72KB, 360x311px
>>16125299
>>
>>16125326
>measuring how dangerous an electrical current is in volts instead of amps

Oh boy
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.