[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long story short: just got job. Have wife and baby. Need to buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1357848445102.jpg (34KB, 604x569px) Image search: [Google]
1357848445102.jpg
34KB, 604x569px
Long story short: just got job. Have wife and baby. Need to buy a car soonish. Living with parents so expenses aren't too high ATM.

What car would be a good investment in the long run and what sort of car (like sedan, SUV, ect.) would be a good choice? Safety is a reasonable concern.

Should I opt for a new car? Used car? If used then what sort of mileage should I look for to get the most value for my dollar?
>>
>>16124778
Fuck me man, you come here for life advice? Lmao
>>
>>16124786
>tfw took 8 years to graduate from 4 year college
I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
>>
>>16124778
buy a $3k beated civic or impreza.
when you have enough money buy a nice new car that you'll keep for 500 000 miles so that the "Value" doesn't matter
>>
>>16124792
Clearly

Buy used
<50k
as far as investment is concerned, vehicles are shit investments but if you want something that will hold its value for a good while I'd say a quad cab pickup for the family
>>
>>16124778
Are you yuropoor or Burger?
Do you live in a city,the suburbs or the countryside?
Will the car be used solely by you?
What is your budget?
>>
>wife
>baby
>live with parents

you done goofed so hard already... might as well buy a Ferrari and then crash it
>>
>>16124803
burger in medium city (70k)? Car used mostly by me but probably not only.
Budget would probably be 20k at the upper end but ideally around the 10k mark? give or take? I just want something cheap but still safe and functional for the next how ever many years I can get out of it. So in terms of price I want to include upfront costs+ maintenance+ fuel costs in considerations.
>>
The only car worth investing in right now is an '80's 911. Buy one, don't drive it, wait until your kids are 18, sell it and move out of your p's house. Otherwise, get a family bus pass.
>>
Sorry I probably used the wrong word. I don't mean a car as an investment that appreciates. I mean something that would end up saving me the most money given that it is a necessity to buy.
>>
OP how comfortable are you with cars?
>no fucking clue tier
>common sense tier
>basic maintenance tier
>$500 and an afternoon tier
I'm guessing it's one of the first two. Budget? How many seats/how much cargo do you need? Where do you live (weather/terrain)?
>>
File: eimg.php.jpg (13KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
eimg.php.jpg
13KB, 400x267px
You can get a five-ish years old Volvo XC70 with less than 50k on the clock for less than $20k. One of these would be my personal suggestion. I've been treated very well by two seperate Volvos from the last ten years.
>>
>>16125019
not very but I'll probably learn more. Need at least 4 seat. Don't need to much cargo. Live in DMV area (near DC)
>>
>>16125053
NO
FUCKING NO

Don't ever get that 140hp fake awd crossover lifted and ruined piece of shit.

Get a 04-07 s60r for a Volvo.
>>
Used subaru WRX

They're a popular family car up here in the NW
>>
File: Rock_Grit_Protector.jpg (56KB, 635x423px) Image search: [Google]
Rock_Grit_Protector.jpg
56KB, 635x423px
>>16124778
>What car would be a good investment in the long run
I understand your viewpoint that you are "investing" in your future. But cars are not investments. They depreciate in both value and ability/performance over time. Pretty much all legally drivable modern cars have enough safety, so what you want is reliability.

As for baby seats, the rear dashboard should have some sort of recessed hook for attaching the vertical stabilization strap for the child seat. If it doesn't then the shoulder belt is less ideal.

Mileage (MPG) is not a concern unless you have long commutes. But of course you gave no details but only a lot of generic questions that cannot be answered without details as to circumstances.

Used cars are what people get when starting out. Thankfully, there are lots of online help for that including checklists, youtube videos about inspecting, etc. Don't buy from those used car lots with buy here, pay here type financing deals as their interest rates and how they compound interest is too high.

For used car stories, look up longpost guy's posts in the archives. As to what the bank feels you can afford, you can first investigate that with your credit union. If your credit score sucks, then your loan rate and insurance rate will be higher of course.

Before you buy, you must estimate the cost of ownership. You have to be able to KEEP the car after all or else there is no purpose in buying one. So make a list of annual costs along with one-time costs and a 3rd list of recurring monthly costs. Those three lists give you an idea of the financial impact getting a car has on your first month of ownership. Below are ideas and are not complete.

One time costs:
child seat
baby stroller that fits in the trunk
registration transfer
first time new tabs
mechanics inspection of prospective car

Recurring Monthly Costs:
Insurance for all drivers
Insurance for accident
Fuel
Maintenance
Rainy day fund

Recurring Annual Costs:
Tabs
>>
>>16125097
>lives at home with parents
>has wife and kid
>doesn't know shit about cars
>lives in the DMV
You wouldn't happen to live in Takoma Park and your name wouldn't be Andreas, would it?
>>
>>16125118
>s60r
>r
For what fucking purpose?
>>
>>16124778
You want resale value and safety?
>Volvo XC60
>Volvo XC70
>Subaru Outback
>Subaru Forester
>Subaru Crosstrek

Any of these will be a good investment as a family car. They all hold their value well and are the best in the industry as for safety.

The Volvos will have nicer interiors and more fancy gadgets but that comes with higher repair costs down the road than the Subarus will. Subaru reuses parts a lot across years and models so part costs stay cheaper.
>>
>>16125197
No.
>>16125168
Already have most baby stuff. 4 months old. Job is like 60k/year before taxes. My parents can chip in a little as well with the car. I would have probably 10k in the bank when I buy.
>>
>>16125314
Managing your father's gas station Raj?
>>
File: 2m3jvra.jpg (136KB, 1598x742px) Image search: [Google]
2m3jvra.jpg
136KB, 1598x742px
>>16124778
I got your car right here OP
>>
>>16125324
some mediocre programming job
>>
>>16125372
Fucking H1Bs
>>
>>16124778
>have wife and baby
>live with parents

How in the name of fuck haven't you necked yourself?
>>
>>16125378
Because it goes against Sanjay's religion
>>
File: 1431938990964.gif (2MB, 316x166px) Image search: [Google]
1431938990964.gif
2MB, 316x166px
>>16124778

Good investment? Ferrari F50 prices are on the rise. Manual gearbox examples of the Ferrari 430, 360, Lamborghini Murcielágo and Gallardo are also starting to climb.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.