[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JUST SALT MY SHIT UP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: tmp_6120-rust-hole-369239121.jpg (232KB, 1200x1110px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6120-rust-hole-369239121.jpg
232KB, 1200x1110px
JUST SALT MY SHIT UP
>>
File: saltlick.jpg (350KB, 1300x956px) Image search: [Google]
saltlick.jpg
350KB, 1300x956px
>>
File: 2016-07-21 18.10.01.jpg (924KB, 1462x822px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-21 18.10.01.jpg
924KB, 1462x822px
>>
>>16112396
>Bought a new car in April
>This will be my first experience with salt on the roads
How do you prevent it from eating your car up? Wash it off as soon as possible?
>>
>>16112506

That and lots of used oil or FluidFilm.
>>
>>16112506
Oil undercoat it/ fluid film it.
>>
>>16112521
>>16112516
Thanks. I got a yearly underbody treatment included in my insurance. Will that suffice or should I just treat it myself before the salting season starts?
>>
>>16112538
spray on cosmoline and washing regularly. get abgarden sprinkler and put it under the car
>>
>tfw my 96 ZJ, after defying all odds for almost 20 years in Minnesota, started showing rust at the end of the last winter

Come next spring, I'm putting a liner on the rockers/fenders.
>>
File: 05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg (103KB, 768x364px) Image search: [Google]
05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg
103KB, 768x364px
>have shitbox that leaks oil like a sieve
>it dribbles out and splatters all over chassis and underbody because wind at highway speed
>neither previous owner nor me have cleaned the oil gunk off in the past 28 years except to get at bolts for repairs
>drive it in the winter in upstate NY and not a single spot of frame/suspension rust
>if you scrape some gunk off there's still original paint underneath
>but I'm putting a quart of oil in every couple weeks
>>
File: corrosion.jpg (274KB, 1672x900px) Image search: [Google]
corrosion.jpg
274KB, 1672x900px
>>16112538
You should still rinse the car off. As you drive, little salty flecks fly up into the air and get on top of the car. So you really have to rinse off the car top to bottom. I have a nice long watering wand with a convenient squeeze trigger handle. It's good for watering deep into a summer garden bed, but is also convenient to get the salt off under the car since the spray goes upwards.

>>16112506
>How do you prevent it from eating your car up? Wash it off as soon as possible?
Yes, as soon as conveniently possible especially before long periods of exposure. For example, you can carry a 1.5 gallon pump sprayer with you to work. It sits in the passenger footwell. After you get to work, you go around car and knock off the salty slush. Then spray around the sides and bottom of the car in multiple passes. You conserve water by depending on the salty water dripping off by the time you walk around the car and reach the same point again to spray. You can get at least 3 passes around the car and that little bit of water will rinse a lot of salt slush off.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.