[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on beetles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Beetle shit.jpg (962KB, 1100x753px) Image search: [Google]
Beetle shit.jpg
962KB, 1100x753px
I'm getting towards buying my first car and being 18, I was looking at the relatively cheap to insure VW Beetle (the oldest model, not the fruity new ones). What do you think?
>>
>>16103460
Are you planning to drive tho?

The only guy I knew to successfully daily a beetle had a dozen in constant repair and rotation. That and my gfs boomer dad had a fully restored one back when.

If you have to get a vw get a bus
>>
Old cars need old car maintenance because they have old car problems, but Beetles are super fucking simple to work on. Two bolts and the engine's out.
>>
Cheap to insure perhaps, not extremely cheap to own (frequent small repairs) and probably not cheap to obtain.

Also unsafe and slow as fuck, although they can be built up into impressively quick cars due to their light weight.

If you want a first car that will force you to learn how to wrench, it's an OK choice... assuming you can find an affordable one that isn't rusted all to hell.
>>
>tfw want to own a Beetle
Dont know if i want to deal with all the constant small fixes though.
My buddy is a Beetlefag and hes always having to do something on one his 2 Beetles.

Isnt there a way to modernize it enough to be able to handle 100 miles of driving everyday?

Also how hard would it be to add aux fans to help cool the engine in hot weather?
>>
>>16103590
>modernize it enough to be able to handle 100 miles of driving everyday
Slip the body over a chassis from a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic.
>>
gf had one. You had to row the gears between 3rd and 4rd when climbing hills on the highway. 4th is too tall, 3rd is too short. Not enough power to pull 65 on hills in 4th.

They're cold in the winter, hot in the summer.

They are great in the snow, so long as you don't try to turn. Be sure to check the battery cover is intact. The rear seat springs can short the terminals, setting the stuffing (straw) in the cushion on fire.
>>
File: IMG_6411.png (684KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6411.png
684KB, 640x1136px
>>16103598
Shouldve expected that.

I already have a DD but wouldnt mind a Smog-Exempt project to drive to work every other day.
>>
The new, new beetles look good
>>
File: Burr repairs VWthing1.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Burr repairs VWthing1.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Beetles are one of the original memecars.

If you can do the work yourself and have the time/tools/garage they can be great.

HOWEVER, they are underpowered, easily damaged, prone to rust, not very warm in the winter, and handling/braking are nowhere near that of a modern car.

Not sure if a much-simpler 1960s Beetle would be preferable to a later one with some modicum of computer control.

Pic related, This is U.S. Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) working on his VW Thing. After next Wednesday he'll probably have a lot more time to work on it.
>>
>>16103689
That back seat fire is a bitch, been there.

Good cars overall, but everything ITT is basically correct.
I wouldn't DD one or have as first car, although I wouldn't mind picking up a project bug myself.

Just get a civic or corolla dude, beetles really aren't for the modern world.
>>
>>16103475
4 bolts
>>
>>16103460
They are great simple cars that are cheap to own.
However, if you plan to EVER use a freeway I would not do it. The are really, reeeeally slow, to the point that it becomes a road hazard past 60 mph
>>
>>16104936

Bump for Burr
>>
>>16108745
>The are really, reeeeally slow, to the point that it becomes a road hazard past 60 mph

It's amazing how times change. Back in those days, the Ford Maverick's top speed was close to 60MPH.
>>
Throw in a Subaru swap and upgrade the suspension ans brakes and it becomes a nice little sleeper. Watch out for rust. Early beetles are rare and pretty expensive to buy for what you get as they're a memecar for boomers and hippies. The interior is pretty basic but again if you've got the money and time you can upgrade it. Beetles are good because they're so simple but at the same time there's such a large aftermarket you can do pretty much anything you want to them.
>>
holy FUCK op do NOT BUY ONE OF THOES

buy a fucking civic, i know its a meme but please buy and civic/accord or something like that its not a joke. Buy a civic.
>>
I am 19 years old, and bought my first car when i was working in Auto repair shop, from my boss.
Škoda Favorit 1992, 1.3litre carb engine
Considering i am interested in cars, the repairs that you have to do on a 20+ year old car just gives me more pleasure to own and drive one.
Also, at that age, owning a car like that gives kind of character to a person, because it isn't a shitty generic car that blends in with other vehicles, but stands out, and shows you arent afraid to take matters into your own hands (repairs). But then again, if you arent a mechanic or a gearhead of some sort, its rather stupid, and could instead be just simple attention whoring.
In the end, do as you wish, because i don't know your situation. Be prepared to take the wrench a couple of times instead of just turning it on and drive like its some sort of magic teleporting machine.
>>
beetle the best first car. daily drove one senior year. as long as ur not a retard you can keep one running.
>>
File: IMG_0905.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0905.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>16111174

Its only good if you keep in mind its got 1930s handling characteristics and it takes a lot of forethought when driving.

At least its better than a Trabant
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.