[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Options for a slipping transmission?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Desert.jpg (826KB, 1024x768px)
Desert.jpg
826KB, 1024x768px
So, I have an old buick 307 with a hydramatic transmission, and it recently started giving me some performance issues.

When accelerating from a stop, it will shift quickly out of first with a lag/stall, then hard shift to second that'll chirp the tires.

When coasting at around the 25-35 MPH range, it'll continue to chug and act like it constantly wants to change gears back and forth despite smooth/consistent throttle.

It started giving me trouble earlier in the week, and yesterday I finally put in some Lucas Stop Slip, and I didn't notice any differences in the drive on my second day, which included a few miles on the highway (performed fine once it got up to speed), and then those same miles through the city.

I assume I'm looking at a rebuild or salvage replacement, and I'm going to have a shop do all the work. So, I was wondering how much more it might cost to get a manual column shift 3 speed put in, instead of another automatic?
>>
>>16102317
If the car was ever designed with a manual in mind, swapping one in should not be too difficult.

Check the ATF fluid level, and look at the color. Report back.
>>
>>16102317
Don't bother with a rebuild or a swap. Just fucking junk it
>>
>>16102426
Shut the fuck up, this bitch is mint on the inside and only a few blemishes on the outside.

Ultra comfy.

I want this to be the car I fucking own until I'm 65 and blind, and I'm usually picky and bored of cars I get after my first year of ownership.
>>
>>16102435
If you really want to do the manual swap, buy a donor car with a fucked body because you will end up needing a bunch of shit you didn't imagine and if you have to order it all or search for it the car will take a decade to finish.
>>
>>16102415
It never came with a Manual option to my knowledge, unless you know another B-Body car that had one.

Not with my car currently, at work. But, at the same time I noticed the transmission acting up, I also noticed a pretty bad engine oil leak from the rear near the transmission.
>>
>>16102476
What would an oil leak have to do with your transmission?
>>
>>16102317
Congratulations. You ruined the trans. Mechanic in a can never works. It's just going to gum it up even more. Get a replacement trans.
>>
Try changing the fluid first. It'll only cost $100 and it might work. Otherwise rebuild time.
>>
>>16102317
When was the last time you changed the fluid and filter?
>>
File: 1466834174840.jpg (125KB, 1224x1445px) Image search: [Google]
1466834174840.jpg
125KB, 1224x1445px
>>16102435
I hope your torque converter grenades when you put it in D because you're too stupid to buy something manual and more reliable than a piece of garbage Buick piece of shit.

>I usually get bored and picky of cars after the first year of ownership

No wonder you drive an automatic crappy car that's slipping you deserve it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.