[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When starting to mod a car is it better to aim at power mods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_8511.jpg (21KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8511.jpg
21KB, 300x200px
When starting to mod a car is it better to aim at power mods or handling mods first?
>>
>>16091874
How long's a piece of string?
It's better to have an idea where you want it to end up, and start buying what ever you need to complete the whole build whenever something comes up cheap or on sale.
>>
>>16091874

handling first, 9/10 times.

First be sure your vehicle is in tip top condition. As it will be a 20 year old shitbox, throw in new oil, filters, spark plugs, belts and shit to be sure the engine works as it should.

Then replace suspension as it will be shot, pick a sporty one. Replace tyres as they will be old, pick sticky ones.

Bum, just putting your car in working condition has improved handling. Now consider what >>16091878 said.
>>
It's hard to see real gains in power without bigger engines or forced induction, handling is a whole variety of things to consider at assorted price points.

What you prioritize is honestly dependent on what you want the vehicle to be capable of.
>>
Depends.
Almost always I go for reliability enhancements or 'better' engine parts. My e30 got an engine swap before anything else because the engine was terrible and uninspiring and the 86/brz that I will soon buy will get an e85 tune and headers first because the tune makes it easier to live with and may as well go with headers at the same time.

If I didn't have to do an engine swap on the e30 i would have done other things like shifter bushings, seats and steering wheel first. These are the most limiting parts of the car. I always think that you should change the worst parts of the car regardless of what they are.
>>
>>16091874
Brakes first.
>>
Good tires
Suspension
Brakes
Bolt ons, what ever good deal comes up first
Tune
Other (building engine, FI, racing seats, etc)

Before all that, maintenance. Always.
>>
>>16091874
Handling.
>>
>>16091874
Start with what it doesn't have.
If it's a down on power shitbox then you start with the engine.
If it can pick up speed but handles like a brick then you start with handling mods.
>>
>>16091874
Got with an exhaust if you want to enjoy the sound of the engine.
Then dont spend a dime on engine parts until you get the handling sorted out.
>>
>>16091874
Power then handling to suit said power.
>>
Weight reduction because it's for free.
>>
>>16091874
Always handling. Power is useless unless you can put it to the ground and keep the car in control. 500+ HP is useless if you can only put 150 of it down before the wheels break traction, and you have to slow down to 30 to turn
>>
File: camaro-wheelstand[1].jpg (125KB, 945x738px) Image search: [Google]
camaro-wheelstand[1].jpg
125KB, 945x738px
>>16092099
Turning is for faggots
>>
>>16092099
And what good is handling if your top speed is 100mph and it takes 8 seconds to reach 60?
>>
>>16091874
Power gets you into trouble, handling and brakes get you out of it.

Work on your brakes, suspension and a good set of tyres first imo, being able to stop and turn is more important than speed desu.

Also figure out what you're trying to achieve, like >>16091878 said. If you don't know what you're trying to achieve you're wasting your own time and money building something with no rhyme or reason.
>>
>>16092116
It's usually good making sure you don't have to decelerate so that your speed weakness doesn't show :~)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.