[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1 year car storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: rust.jpg (318KB, 1600x898px) Image search: [Google]
rust.jpg
318KB, 1600x898px
I will be out of the country for approximately a year for work-related reasons and will be putting my car in storage at a friend's garage.

What are the steps I should take to make sure the car is in good condition once I come back? My friend is willing to drive the car for half an hour or so every week to prevent deterioration.
>>
Sit it up on jack stands to avoid flat spots on tires
Drain all fluids
Unplug battery
Car cover
A sign on the dash and window saying "DO NOT DRIVE BEFORE ADDING IN ALL FLUIDS"
>>
>>16086962
agree with all of these except draining the oil

>fill that shit to the brim
>>
>>16086988
Is it necessary to do all that if he drives it around twice a week? I would rather he drive it more often than have to leave the car stationary.
>>
>>16086988
I'll add;

>plug up the exhaust, air filter and anywhere else rats and other shit might get in
>put the battery in a place where it wont get cold
>put a tarp over it to prevent dust, scratches, bird shit and the likes
>moisturize whatever leather you have, and dont dry it off
>>
Park it in a giant bowl of rice
>>
>>16086993
That was for not driving it around ever.
Guarentee your friend will stop driving it after a month or so.
And why have him run the risk of driving it if hes not on your insurance?

Personally id leave it up on stands.
>>
Fuck's sake. It's just a year. Fill up the tank, put 60psi on the tires and store the battery outside of the car, WITH a trickle charger, or it'll likely die.

Anything longer than a year requires more.

>jack stands

Enjoy your noodle chassis.

>half an hour drive every week
Not even the battery will be filled properly with that. At least an hour. OR just leave it sitting. It won't do any damage.
>>
>>16087011
Oh, right, a few cheap dehumidifiers ain't a bad idea. Saddle oil on your seats if leather (as someone said above). Exhaust plugs if you have problems with varmints is a great idea, too.
>>
>>16087011
>fill up the tank
>on a car thats going to be sitting
You know gas goes bad after 3 months right?
>>
>>16087011
>OR just leave it sitting. It won't do any damage.

Really? I was told leaving it sitting will do even more damage than leaving it alone
>>
>>16087038
Youll get flat spots in your tires.
Have fun replacing all of your tires when you get back.
>>
>>16087034
>>fill up the tank
>>on a car thats going to be sitting
>You know gas goes bad after 3 months right?

No, it doesn't if the vessel it's in is full sufficient to keep most atmosphere hence condensation out of the tank. You can use fuel stabilizer if you like.

I'd put the vehicle on stands. They don't bend "frames" or unibodies. Are your 12?
>>
Keep it inside, full the tank, use a bottle of sta-bil. Unhook the battery, cover it up, you will be fine for a year.
Just when you start it the first time after the year. Make sure to unhook the ignition wire, crank it over with the key for a few seconds.
Then start it up.
It is so you will build some oil pressure initially in start up.
>>
>>16086988
>>16086997
Exactly this, but only if nobody is driving it. Otherwise, just leave it as is if someone is driving it about.
>>
>>16086962
>putting my car in storage at a friend's garage.

Storage inside a garage is a premium favor more substantial than streetside or driveway parking. So letting him use the car for small errands is polite and won't add too many miles. Your friend has his own insurance for his own car, but insurance allows him to borrow a car on occasion? He should check his policy carefully if you terminate insurance coverage on your car. If his policy allows him to borrow a car occasionally, then it should be covered if there's an accident.

The short errands should exercise the car enough and he will use a digital battery charger to check on the battery state and top off the battery at least once every 2 weeks. If the battery is running down faster (below 70%), then check and top off every week.

Or your friend can ADD your car to his insurance which in most cases is a small fee because the insurance company knows he cannot drive two cars at the same time. Thus only one car is in play at a time. You will then pay the difference.

Use top tier gasoline for the added detergency. The errands should use up enough gas so that by 3 months, he will need to refill it. For him to simply put it up on stands would be an irritating and impolite use of precious garage space.
>>
File: Theft_Honda.png (18KB, 918x841px) Image search: [Google]
Theft_Honda.png
18KB, 918x841px
>>16086962
>What are the steps I should take to make sure the car is in good condition once I come back? My friend is willing to drive the car for half an hour or so every week to prevent deterioration.

Only your friend such as for doing errands or his commute to work and back once every week. No guest passengers unless they are his family members.

Before you turn it over, use your selfie stick to take dated GPS pictures of the underside of the car, odometer, and oblique angle shots of bumpers, fenders, door dings, and nose. Take pictures of fluid levels and reading on oil dipstick Start it off with a fresh synthetic oil change one week before you hand the car over. This lets you check if there is a oil leak or not.

This is presumably a genuine good friend, so if he wrecks the car, or it is stolen off his property, he will let his insurance make good. If there is no insurance coverage, then you will have to keep paying yours. If a problem happens, that will become a test of friendship.

Just before you go, get an OBD2 reading of all the codes and document that. Autozone can do that for free.
>>
>>16086962
Set aside money for car tabs. Your state probably has a website where you can pay online and have them mailed to an address.
>>
>>16086962
>approximately a year

If car windows are tinted, remove all air frresheners or other deposit forming items. Clean all window surfaces.

Wax the car.
>>
>>16087038
>I was told leaving it sitting will do even more damage than leaving it alone

If the car sits on its tires in one position for a year, the tires are a total loss. It's not just the flat spot on the tire tread that is the problem. The sidewalls of the tire closest to the pavement are being both bent and stretched in that position for a year.
>>
>>16087011
>put 60psi on the tires
That's why too high.
>>
>>16086993
> drive

It's spelled hoon and you'll come back to 100k mi and a smashed fender.
>>
>>16087038
I left my jeep sit outside for 2 years. Didn't do shit before or after, save change the oil at the end.
>>
>>16087011
You must have a shitty alternator it a bad bat, 20 minutes of idle and I'm good from flat.
>>
File: IMG_0743.jpg (20KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0743.jpg
20KB, 355x355px
>>16087482
The ethanol will go to shit with the full tank anyway.

If he can find Rec 90 or some premium with zero ethanol, a full tank of that will be gud. Otherwise fill up the tank and pour a bottle of Sta-bil in.
>>
just
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.