[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ATV/UTV Winch for Trucc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: comburqa.jpg (31KB, 480x349px) Image search: [Google]
comburqa.jpg
31KB, 480x349px
I'm looking at winch combos for my bumper and they have the 4 500 lb rated winches for $200 and the 11 000lb rated for $500.
If muh trucc is only 3100lb, can't I just use the ATV/UTV winch?

If it's only for recovering vehicles, it wouldn't even require the full weight of my vehicle on the crank so is 4000lb enough? Should I just spend the extra $300 and not be a juice?
How do you go about tying them to trees for single vehicle recovery?

Winch general (since all the offroad /ovg/ generals die after 18 hours on this board).
>>
>>16083555
You need double the weight

I've stalled a 9500 lb warn pulling a bud out, switched to a 12k on my next jeep

Cheap means slow, and single use at a time, if you're going to be the guy at the top of the hill winching people up all afternoon you need to throw more bucks at it, otherwise the cheap ones are ok
>>
>>16083597
So why even rate them at the lbs!? I guess it's because of maximum x the wires can support?

Can one rip trees out of the ground with the winches?
>>
the 4500LB winch is great in situations you don't need the winch.

However, once you start factoring in resistances, you'll find that the 11K winch is probably more appropriate.

For example, pulling a vehicle out of a rut deep enough to be at the axles means you'll be pulling 100% of the vehicles weight out of that hole, and the 4.5K winch wont be up to that task.

You have to remember, a winch has a lot of different ratings. A 4.5K winch wont have wire rope rated at 4.5K, and will probably be significantly lower. Winches also have different ratings for how much rope is spooled on the winch drum. A winch rated at 4.5K is rated so on a bare drum, When you start building a 2nd layer it can drop significantly.

Even with the 11K winch you'll want to check all your ratings, because that wire rope might not even be good for 3K depending on its size. I believe 3/8's fiber core is normally only good to 3,750, which is what it might have.

The only way to overcome the lower working load limit (wll) is to buy snatch blocks. A snatch block, when used right, allows you to effectively double your capacity, at the loss of half your winches speed as you need to pull in double the wire rope.

For trees you need a strap, and ideally a screw pin shackle. You'll read a lot of flack about shackles, calling them dangerous and what not, but those are also the people who shock load the shit out of their equipment and buy teeny tiny shackles not rated for what they're doing, so they come apart.

When it comes to actually pulling yourself around, give your truck a little throttle, but don't try to outrun the winch and snap load the line when you roll backwards. Always keep pressure on the line to make it spool good and to avoid sudden shocks.

Also, avoid planetary gear winches. They're fast, but lack power. Worm gear winches are the best, tons of power at the cost of speed.

Just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.
>>
>>16083634
If it's a shitty rotten tree maybe.
>>
>>16083643
>You'll read a lot of flack about shackles, calling them dangerous and what not, but those are also the people

Shackles are dangerous as fuck when used between snatch straps, which are essentially giant rubber bands-I personally know of two people killed by them, one I'd wheeled with.

Using a rated shackle on a real tree strap (no stretch) it with a winch (cable or rope, at the end) is as safe as anything. Rope over all is safer and easier than cable but I assumed OP is a cheap sob and not going to spring for rope. And like you mentioned I said rated, not zinc crap that was $7 at the local Ace.

There are a lot of basic recovery techniques to learn, pick your sources carefully because people are stupid. Just look at careful James almost getting killed on top gear as an example.
>>
>>16083688
>when used between snatch straps

Ya, and thats when shackles are dangerous due to the constant on-off nature of those straps. The problem is you get idiots using snatch straps like a normal non-stretch strap not realizing that its super hard on their equipment.

With a normal strap and a rated shackle, when set up properly, can increase the life you get out of your strap and help ensure the are your grabbing is evenly loaded.

Lots of little things to learn with recovery, so few people who actually know what the fuck their doing.
>>
File: ya95.jpg (13KB, 261x270px) Image search: [Google]
ya95.jpg
13KB, 261x270px
>>16083754
>lots of little things to learn with recovery
>so few people who actually know what the fuck their doing.
Fuck. I'd say. I've only done a bit of rock crawling and never went out with a gang of people.
Before this, I thought you could just literally wrap the cable around a tree and use it to pull your vehicle out that way. Did not know the benefit snatch blocks and shackles could have in preserving your equipment. That's really damn helpful.

Honestly, I just occasionally get stuck in muddy areas on private land and we have to do the old kitty litter / stick method to get it unjammed. or call the neighbours over with the torque boot.

I would get one of those boots but figured winches would be more efficient in the long run. however, with all the recovery add-ons going into $1000 and the threat of DEATH if i'm lazy, it looks like I might just stick to getting the off road boot. So way I see it:
$500 winch, $200 attachment to frame, $200 tree snatch block / the thing that wraps around the tree. = around $1000

i'll look into this more and ask my jeep buddy what he's gonna get. I've also kept all this information in a .txt file for reference, too.
>>
>>16083839
>Before this, I thought you could just literally wrap the cable around a tree and use it to pull your vehicle out that way.
This kills the tree and your cable if you put the hook back on the cable.
>>
You'll feel retarded when you realise you should've gone bigger

Its the same thing with anything like this; tow straps, winches, wires, chains; overkill is always best
>>
File: ya-1.jpg (18KB, 200x211px) Image search: [Google]
ya-1.jpg
18KB, 200x211px
>>16084269
Know what would've been appropriate with that comment? That military style smart car you like to post.

>>16084264
Yeah, that's what I realised the second I looked at the winch. Unirregardless, I was just highlighting my lack of knowledge of winches and recovery in general.
I'll head over to the mech early next week and see what he recommends to suit my vehicle. I need a new valance so maybe i'll get the off-road bumper to connect to my skidplates in the meantime. That should have room for a winch placement.

>>16083643
I've been reading a lot of articles and watching these youtubers who know a lot about recovery and nothing about video making explain how to winch.
I still don't get the point of shackles. Doesn't the winch COME with a shackle? I see one that connects to my trailer hitch so that's something to consider. Can you just attach your winch to your trailer hitch if pulling from the back or would you hook it under the frame?
>>
We have a Tabor 9k winch on a truck at work. It's basically the bottom dollar winch that Warn makes. We mounted it on a Ram 2500 with a crew cab and 8 foot bed. Definitely underrated for the truck but we are mainly using it to pull out tree limbs and things besides getting the truck unstuck.

I'll tell you, if the object isn't moving, the truck sure as shit is. That winch will reel the truck in even if there's chocks on all four wheels.

If you're in Moab pulling your entire Jeep club up the hill a xeon might be the right call. If you just need a quick boost to get out of a little mudpit then don't break the bank. Buy good quality but a 3100 lb truck doesn't need a 12000 lb winch.
>>
>>16084314

A shackle is a device that you can use as kind of a stepping stone to other attachments if needed. Your winch should have an open throat hook with a latch.

Personally I don't trust pulling on trailer hitches too much. A light pull sure, but anything much more really should go to the frame, its the strongest part of the vehicle after all.

And for the love of god, never EVER, EVER use the factory "recovery hooks" on the front of trucks. Especially if its a late 2000's ford. Those hooks are known to let go for no reason have have hurt or killed a lot of people over the years.
>>
File: HeilSmartler.jpg (79KB, 700x487px) Image search: [Google]
HeilSmartler.jpg
79KB, 700x487px
>>16084314
I only think I've posted that thing once

I really wish it was actually belt-driven, would make a really cool bug-out vehicle
>>
File: muh trucc.jpg (174KB, 780x756px) Image search: [Google]
muh trucc.jpg
174KB, 780x756px
>>16084364
FUCK. are you SHITTING me!? so we're not supposed to use pic related for ANYTHING? I thought those were drilled into frame and sturdy due to mechanical specifications or whatever.
i suppose that part isn't as heavily subject to consumer protection scrutiny as the other parts of the vehicle.
the trailer hitch later becomes a part of the frame anyway. and the weakeness is at the joints so worst case situation, it'll just rip the bar off, eh?

Again - how do people die from winch accidents? does it just snap and hit them in the head? i can't see a vehicle jerking movement killing anyone.

>>16084346
3100lb trucc doesn't need a 12000lb winch
but the price difference really isn't that bit between 8000 and 12000. it's cheaper for manafacteurers to make 100x 12 000lb winches than it is for them to make 25x 12 000lb winches and 75x 8 000lb winches

>>16084365
i would toss this in the back of muh trucc and take it driving every weekend. go ducc hunting on the bacc of that thingcc. use it to plow snow in the winter.
>>
>>16084504
Fuckloads of tension in steel wires when they're being stretched and having weight put on them. This is the reason why pretty much all the offroad guys I know use ropes on their winches instead of wires. Sure, the rope can take less punishment, breaks sooner and needs to be replaced every year, but it won't kill you when it breaks.

These guys always have one person going ahead of the car and plotting a route, aswell as finding winching spots and attaching the ropes. They are pretty much always in the danger zone
>>
>>16083555
Most winches are badly located on the front bumper, which is chosen for ease of installation.

I've been using Wyeth-Scott manual winches for many years and they are much more versatile than a bumper mount winch.

You can get much more pull but at slower rate using a snatch block.

Google "Army rigging manual" for recovery knowledge.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.