[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good job/place to learn about cars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: Pepboys.jpg (34KB, 612x347px) Image search: [Google]
Pepboys.jpg
34KB, 612x347px
Manager saw me wrenching in the lot and told me they are severely low on people. He said he wants to bring me in as a General Service Tech and train me ground up through ASE paid by the company.

Is it good gig or just droning slave labor?
>>
self bump

Please o give me some info on this one. I have no idea what I'm in for...
>>
>>16082327
>Is it good gig or just droning slave labor?
You didn't have to pay for certification classes. So that is added bonus on whatever pay you received. And of course it adds time towards your social security payments not that you might be thinking about something so far into the future. But the normal social security (not the supplemental social security welfare one blacks and mexicans get) is based upon your top 36 salary earning years. So you want to raise that average as high as possible. Removing any zero years is a bonus.
>>
>>16082748
I get that

But what about the company and the actual job in the company?
>>
>>16082832
Not speaking form experience, but it probably won't hurt.

If you don't have a job already (school doesn't count) there's no reason not to go. You can always quit if it turns out to be shit.
>>
>>16082876
>If you don't have a job

I'm 22 and have been working for about 5 years

I want to learn more about cars, but I also want my next job to support myself with more income than currently
>>
book time
>>
>>16083100
Well then find out the pay rate and if it works fucking do it

That's automotive experience you can put to good use not to mention saving in your own maintenance because suddenly you have access to an entire shops worth of equipment, tools, and expertise, and if you want to dealerships will take you in as a tech as well if you've got time wrenching under your belt. They may make you start as a lube tech but you can easily move up most places
>>
>>16082327
I don't know about Pepboys specifically, but I started a little less than a year ago as a General Service Tech at Midas-And yes, there is a lot of sweeping the floor and bitch work. And yes, most of what I've been doing has been oil changes, but I have learned a LOT just by watching the other techs work. They've let me do more specialized stuff as well, it's a great gig, generally speaking.
In any case, I'd say take the job-if it doesn't pan out, you can at least use it as a way to claim you have some experience working on cars for the next place you apply to.
Good luck m8
>>
>>16083278
>find out the pay rate

I tried, but it's confusing. GD says they pay $8 an hour (which is what the manager told me on top of some type of per vehicle commission?).

Other sites are estimating it at above $12. I need to stay at or above there full time or I'll be in big trouble.
>>
>>16083314
>I started a little less than a year ago as a General Service Tech at Midas
How much did they pay/you took home?

>but I have learned a LOT just by watching the other techs work. They've let me do more specialized stuff as well, it's a great gig, generally speaking.

See, this is what I want, but I also don't want to be homeless.
>>
>>16082832
>But what about the company and the actual job in the company?

If you have no job at the moment and you weren't going into a different career, then this won't hurt. There's a lot of money to be made as an automotive service tech once you get some seniority. It also gives you job-related experience so that you can move to a different job elsewhere because you are now a much more valuable person to employ.

The other thing about quitting is that you want to remain employed long enough to qualify for your state's unemployment benefits program before quitting. That is 6 months in some states or 9 months or even a different length. Find out what it is in your state. So if you quit and go back to school, you can at least draw some substantial unemployment benefits for a number of months.
>>
>>16083347
I made $10 an hour starting, my boss likes me a lot so I got a raise to 12$ after about 6 months. Although you mentioned per vehicle commission, which makes me suspect that it's flat rate instead. I dunno if you know how flat rate works but if not, flat rate essentially means you get paid for the amount of time the job calls for instead of how long it takes you. For example-Say you do a timing belt, which Alldata or whatever says takes 5 hours. You get paid for 5 hours, regardless of whether you do it in twice that time or half that. It can be a great thing for really skilled techs-You can have days where you work for eight hours, but get paid for twice that-but it cuts both ways. If every bolt is rusted and it takes you ten hours to do a two hour job, you're still getting paid for two hours worth of work.
Sorry for the wall of text.
>>
>>16083380
>you get paid for the amount of time the job calls for instead of how long it takes you

no, no, this is bad

It's literally dr pepper snapple group all over again. I used to work for them and be scheduled for 7-9 stores a day (estimated to be worked an half to an hour each) and end up working 12-15 hour days for less than minimum wage.
>>
>>16083407
Yeah, honestly, if you're getting paid flat rate as a GS tech then I'd stay away. But I doubt that's the case, most places pay GS techs by the hour and make you a flat rate tech once you're more experienced.
>>
>>16083413
Manager said I get $8 an hour (same as glassdoor) and also get paid per car (something like that)

I guess I'll have to ask him or another store, but man I really hope it's not flat
>>
>>16083380
The idea behind flat-rate is that it takes about 10 times doing the job to be able to "beat" the clock. For dealer techs this is almost acceptable. For independent shop techs it's a losing proposition which is why it's used.

>>16083407
Except that flat-rate is how the vast majority of shops in the US operate. Not saying it's good just that it is the prevailing method so looking for something else is going to be difficult to find.
>>
>>16083463
so is the job worth going for

or am I better off at UPS where I know I'll be able to live
>>
I love flatrate. I usually clock 10-15hr per 10hour shift. And gross around $1500-$1800 a week.

It wasn't always that lucrative, but I put in my time, passed all my certs, and work harder than the next guy.

I couldn't imagine doing anything else atm. I am 37 and am already planning an exit strategy for when my body starts to fail me. Hopefully I can retire at 55 from wrenching and move in management or sales.
>>
>>16083813
>$1500-$1800 a week

General Service Tech (please say yes)?
>>
>>16083918
No. Ase master tech with 12 years experience and a lot of tools.

Honestly, I could be earning more but the sales crew can't keep up with me. Haha
>>
>>16083945
I guess I'm sol
>>
>>16082327
EP Tech at Pepboys here.
Look I love the store and the crew is pretty awesome but you make money there as either a master or GST. I started as a driver there, then moved up to GST, then apprenticed under the mechanic for a couple of months. When that was over I became an EP so the opportunity is there but only if you put the work in.
>>
>>16084042
>but you make money there as either a master or GST
How much for the GST?

>then moved up to GST, then apprenticed under the mechanic for a couple of months. When that was over I became an EP
Why leave GST if it's where the money is then?
>>
>>16083813

>$60k per year at maximum, at age 37

thank you for reminding me why I didn't go into a poorfag trade.
>>
>>16084090
I think your math is wrong. I hit 78k last year and am on pace to crack 80k this year. I haven't had a year below 70k since 2007.

No student loans, most of my tools are paid off, I own 4 cars and live in a 250k house.
>>
>>16083753
>am I better off at UPS where I know I'll be able to live

UPS has benefits right? And 401K matching plus vesting benefits.

>>16083407
>you get paid for the amount of time the job calls for instead of how long it takes you
>no, no, this is bad

Well, multiple others have posted in threads last year and this year about how they finish jobs faster than the book estimate. Thus they get 12 hours worth of work done in an 8 hour day somewhat regularly. That is a handsome self-given pay raise. And it's good for the shop too as it churns through more separate satisfied customers who didn't have to wait wait wait.
>>
>>16084186
>No student loans, most of my tools are paid off, I own 4 cars and live in a 250k house.

You forgot to add that you don't have to pay anyone else to fix or maintain your cars. That's an additional savings other non mechanics forget to tack on.
>>
>>16084414
>company lies about amount of time required
>makes you stay longer for less pay

my dr pepper problem
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.