[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are headlight restoration kits legit or a waste of money?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: headlights.jpg (138KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
headlights.jpg
138KB, 1200x600px
Are headlight restoration kits legit or a waste of money?
>>
>>16076029
wet sand till 2000
polish
>>
>>16076029
They work fine.
If it's really bad you'll need sandpaper though.
>>
>>16076029

I bought the turtle wax one for like 8 dollars at vatozone and it worked perfectly. came with little sanding pads too, I only had to use them on the left headlight. the right one looked good just using the cream.

>0.01 has been deposited in your account
>>
>>16076029
You'll notice it more if your headlights are really bad. If your headlights are only a little cloudy, it's not worth it as much.
>>
>>16076029
No. It's not a waste of money. Worked wonders for me on my Miata
>>
> Plastic instead of glass
>>
>>16076037
This.

No need to buy any type of kit. Mask off your paint well

An yes, It worked great on my cars
>>
>>16076029
Only work if they come with deep penetrating cleanser and >>16076037 plus more sanders.
Turtle wax kits have both cleanser, sanding squares, and tells you to buy polish. Don't do like somepeople will tell you to use break fluid to clean them, don't.
>>
>headlight restoration kits
complete waste
just sand them a little, depending on how bad they are, and polish
>>
Just buy new headlights.
>>
the 3m one works good, not sure about any others.

TAPE AROUND THE LIGHTS. TAPE GOOD. YOU WILL BURN THROUGH YOUR PAINT IF YOU SLIP.
>>
>>16076029
They work. Even the cheap shit is capable of decent numbers.
>>
I ordered a $15 kit from amazon that requires a drill. It stopped raining so I'll let you guys know how that works out
>>
>>16076029
I use a polisher with some compound to cut and then i put a layer of wax over. 20 minute job that brings em just like new again for like 4 months
>>
>>16078094
>requires a drill
what?
>>
It works well. Ive used them several times. If they don't include sanding pads I wouldn't buy one though. My painter friend will sand them down and then spray them with clear coat and they last alot longer than the kits.
>>
Waste of money, just use T-Cut or some other compound, a rag, and some elbow grease, works just the same but costs less as you probably have the shit lying around.
>>
>>16078157
so he doesn't have to polish by hand
because he is lazy or because sanding smth is boring as fuck
>>
>>16078082
>TAPE AROUND THE LIGHTS. TAPE GOOD. YOU WILL BURN THROUGH YOUR PAINT IF YOU SLIP.
Masking tape around the lights. Then a layer of duct tape on top. A second layer if your hands aren't perfectly stable. Tape is cheap. Paint is not. Be paranoid about fucking your paint.
>>
>>16078188
>not having fun sanding
makes sense except i dont mind it because i like plastic model building. gunpla gen on /m/ helped me detail my car.
>>
File: DOgjudgescuck.jpg (154KB, 2048x1302px) Image search: [Google]
DOgjudgescuck.jpg
154KB, 2048x1302px
>Glass Headlights when?

Pro's

It will never fade
will last forever

Con's

Potencial a/o fatal injury on a car accident
Expensive
>>
>>16078255
they fade but not nearly as fast. glass fade takes longer than the car will even possibly last. its also less noticeable.
>>
>>16078212
>3 layers of tape just because you're a spaz
1 is enough
>>
What's the point of those restoration kits it's just a temporary fix. Don't you have to sand down,polish,then finish with a good clear coat or something?
>>
>>16078344
$1 of tape or $500+ to repaint the hood.
Better safe than sorry.
>>
The 3M kit is the only one I've ever used so it's the one I can recommend. It actually works. Also don't try to use it with a cordless drill unless you have multiple backup batteries.
>>
>>16078368
Or maybe just don't be a spaz with the sandpaper
>>
>>16078424

I don't think you understand that you don't use the sandpaper by hand. You use a drill or other tool, which can slip and quickly go through a single layer of masking tape before you can react.
>>
>>16078361
good kits come with sand papers cleaners and polish.
>>
>>16078094
Drills gona fuck your shit up. Stop being lazy and do it by hand the drill does not make it any faster.
>>
File: Alfa_Romeo_1300_Junior_GTA[1].jpg (322KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Alfa_Romeo_1300_Junior_GTA[1].jpg
322KB, 1024x768px
>>16076209

Have you ever wondered why old race cars had these X stripes on the headlights?
>>
>>16079015
to symbolize that they're old and dead
>>
File: mcguiar.jpg (41KB, 330x395px) Image search: [Google]
mcguiar.jpg
41KB, 330x395px
>>16076029
pic related works fantastically
>>16078977
found the notool
get yourself some tools loser
>>
>>16079658
Only retards buy kits, they're nothing special.

>>16078977
You're a fucking retard. Any rotary tool will be faster than a hand finish. Probably even better because you won't get tired of the project.
>>
>>16078977
You dumb nigga. Takes 30 seconds a side with a drill. And no, it doesnt damage anything if you aren't retarded.
>>
>>16079692
>poorfags don't buy kits
ftfy
It's everything you need in one package.
There's no reason not to buy the kit.
>>
>>16078255
was the dog the dad of that little human pupper?
>>
>>16076029
Headlights have two layers, a protective hard coat, and the softer body plastic underneath. once the hard coat is chipped or worn off, the lens starts to oxidize. sanding down the lens only removes the oxidation, like sanding off rust, the only actual solution is to apply an acrylic or urethane clear coat afterwards to stave off the oxidation. best of luck op. personally i would go to a pick-and-pull or scrapyard.
>>
>>16078255
Europe has these. When I had a MkIV GTI my headlights looked like shit but all the MKIVs in Germany looked fine when I visited. The glass was still perfectly clear after ten years and mine were trash.
>>
>>16076404
This unless you are a true poorfag.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.