[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

93 better than 91?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: aoo.jpg (29KB, 417x234px) Image search: [Google]
aoo.jpg
29KB, 417x234px
My engine (VQ) calls for "Premium Fuel"

91 is more common in my area, but 93 is available. Is it "better" for my engine to drink 93, or is 91 fine? Any actual noticeable difference, or does it all burn the same?

I don't want to pay extra for 93 if it literally makes zero difference.

Pic related: 560 hours in MSPaint
>>
>>16062428
Just fucking pony up.
>>
>>16062428

If your car calls for a certain octane, use at least that.

Anything more is pointless.
>>
>>16062428
buy what your car recommends, and nothing more. the only exception is when it's a crummy brand that only puts good detergents in the top octane option
>>
>>16062428
93 will obviously give you more combustion power

91 should be fine though
>>
No your car is tuned for 91 so that's what it'll use most efficiently. You can tune it for 93 for an ever so slight increase in performance.
>>
>>16062438
>The fuel more resistant to combustion will give you more combustion power
>>
>>16062428
Where do you live?

Like if you go to Colorado, 91 octane is premium most places because of the altitude. 93 octane won't do anything more for your engine with the thin air. So if you're in a situation like this, don't go searching for 91.
>>
>>16062434
>>16062438
>>16062441

Owners manual:

"Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number ."

So... it says AT LEAST 91....

Biggest question I have is 93 "feelable" or is it just silly to pay extra for 93 when 91 is obviously usable according to the owners manual?
>>
>>16062446

KS
>>
>>16062452
Put 93 when going to the track or toogay. You won't notice much of anything for regular driving.
>>
>>16062452
Yes, if you have a modern car, 93 will run "better" as the engine will accommodate, and run accordingly.

Makes the most use in tarbo application.

>>16062446
High altitude places dont even bother with 93. Only pump gas I ever see out there is 91.

Now, will you notice anything? doubt it, maybe if you hook up a bluetooth dongle to your OBD port, and look at the intake temps, and AF, and everything else, you will be able to tell a difference.
>>
You only need the bare minimum. There is no point in using a higher octane.

There is a difference, however it is so minimal it isn't worth the price, and it also doesn't really make any difference in wear on your vehicle

If your car/motorcycle takes a higher octane than the lows like 85, you will get leftover fuel from the guy before you. So, try to fill up when closest to empty as possible. Using a lower octane will not matter a whole lot however it will damage your vehicle over time
>>
>>16062428

If your car calls for premium, then use 91.

No need to go higher unless it specifically calls for 93.
>>
I only gain a bit of fuel econ and power from 94 versus 91. I mainly do it for double the Petro points
>>
>>16062452
At least meaning less can damage your engine. It's tuned for 91
>>
>>16062444
higher molecular weight concentration octanes are less resistant to pressure caused ignitiion
>>
>>16062444
seriously, no one here knows what the fucking octane rating means lmao
>>
Try both on a hot day, driving up a hill under load at around peak torque of the engine. This is usually when pre-ignition/ detonation is likely to occur. Modern cars with knock sensors will retard the ignition timing if detonation is detected , but this will reduce power and can increase fuel consumption. Higher octane fuel is less likely to detonate so you are more likely to have consistent performance compared to lower octane fuel. The different calorific values of the fuels probable won't be as noticeable compared to the other effects mentioned.
>>
>>16062787
>Petro points
Petro Canada? Since when did they have 94? Is it ethanol-free like Chevron's 94?
>>
>americucks don't have 98
>>
>>16063006
>No need to go higher unless it specifically calls for 93.

US 93 Octane (AKI) is the same as EU 98 Octane (RON).
>>
Use 91 octane, the ecu will pull back a bit of timing if you use higher octane but the performance difference is insignificant.
> Source VQ35DE owner
>>
>97, 95 and 93 available here
>feel like a poorfag using 93 only
lol
>>
>>16062488
Lol get the fuck out. The map is what it is. Unless you're knocking, it won't pull timing and it won't adjust it to improve power with higher octane.
>>
File: 657657324628.png (64KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
657657324628.png
64KB, 200x200px
>>16063006
>foreign faggots can't into different octane scales
>>
>>16063003
A large number of them (at least in GTA) carry 94. I used to use it all the time in my car. Never had any issues.
>>
>>16062452
The numbers are just how squishy the fuel is, higher number, harder squish. they all go bang the same way.

how much fuel goes in, and how hard you squish it, determines how much power youll make.
>>
>>16064063
Harder the fuel can be squished*
>>
File: 20160908_150832.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160908_150832.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
As a VQ owner and only having 93 available to me for premium: it's fine.

ALWAYS run whatever your car calls for at minimum. Higher octane fuels reduce the chance of engine knock. Running lower can cause damage the engine for that reason.

Running higher is fine, lower is bad. Especially if your car is tuned for that. Which ours are.
>>
>>16064094
>what is a knock sensor
>>
>>16064098
>causing your engine to have to do something about knock for no reason, other than to play devils advocate
>>
>>16064104
>implying you know more than the engineers of a multi-billion dollar industry
Go polish your shitty curbed wheels some more.
>>
>>16064112
What even is your argument here? I never said that the engine didn't have a knock sensor, or even allude that it would catastrophically fail instantly if you put lower octane in it.

It even says in the owners manual that in an emergency, you can put some lower octane fuel in, but only to drive gingerly until you can fill up with premium. AKA it's bad for the VQ engine because it is not tuned for lower octane. Go take your shitposting back to the corvette and ecoboost threads where your poor content and non helpful posting belongs.
>>
>>16062494
>Only need bare minimum

You might as well use shitty conventional oil too right?
>>
>>16064125
>this dumbfuck in his nigger car thinks that the ecu won't retard timing to run perfectly fine on regular octane
Jesus Christ I know you're an inbred but get fucking real.
>you gon blowed up yet enjun if yer puts regular innit
Really helpful Cletus.
>>
>>16064143
I am fully aware it can handle lower octane for short periods of time. It can eventually cause pinging or preignition. There is no debate here. So go ahead and damage control and shit talk my car all you want, you're over anyway.
>>
>>16064162
>it can eventually cause pinging
>except there's a knock sensor and the ecu adjusts on the fly according for varying octane levels
Go ahead hillbilly, show me where running regular octane in a car that calls for premium has damaged an engine. All you're doing is making shit up pretending like you know fuckall about how a modern ecu works to accommodate for different fuels when all you've done is read a fucking owner's manual.
>>
File: 1476786340793.jpg (19KB, 222x313px) Image search: [Google]
1476786340793.jpg
19KB, 222x313px
>>16063006
>Not going to the local private airport and getting jet fuel
>>
>>16062428
If it says 91 than put it fucking 91. Unless the negine is a turbo that can increase the boost depending on what octane the fuel has you are just wasting money.
>>
>>16064389
I have a Fiesta ST. It says that 93 will give more hp. I put it in. I go fast. No shits given over the few cents more I pay.
>>
>>16064982
And you are telling me this because?
>>
>>16062930
Higher octane resists detonation from compression and cylinder/piston hotspots.
Also burns slower.

Lower octane produces more power, as long as the engine doesn't have any pre-detonation issues or overlapping burn patterns- "knocking" can be from pre ignition or burn patterns colliding as they move down the cylinders- this is one reason hemi or pent-roof designs are preferred over side mounted plugs- burn pattern spreads from a central point.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.