[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First good aftermarket HUD ships, crazy expensive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: navdy-display.png (117KB, 790x512px) Image search: [Google]
navdy-display.png
117KB, 790x512px
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/navdy-head-up-display-shows-better-clarity-more-functions-than-automaker-offerings/
>first major aftermarket HUD ships, charge $300 for preorders
>make people wait over two years to get them; many get impatient and cancel their preorders, deciding to order when it comes out
>it finally comes out today, price: $800 (preorders placed at the old price were honored).

I mean, it's cool and all, but $800? Seriously? What's the market?
>>
It's early tech from a young company that needs to overcharge on the hype to rake in cash to continue to develop and make newer better cheaper products.
>>
>>16061618
It's basically just a reshaped phone, plenty of phones cost 800 dollars.
I don't see the big deal.
>>
>>16061643
This.

Anyone that actually ever thought buying this type of product is a good idea was retarded.

Literally take my mom's phone, DL a bunch of free apps on the market, and make this myself.
>>
For $800 I expect the thing to literally read my mind. fucking millennial startups. The worst part is somebody will justify it by purchasing.
>>
>hud
>good
pick one
>>
>>16061618
>Boeuf Sucre
More like Sucrebleu.
>>
it FINALLY came out?
i mean it looks great considering it's a totally android controllable HUD but $800 is way too expensive for a hud designed around the whole flip-up-plastic thing.

i think they got too focused on it being "just right" in terms of projection clarity and positioning and they had to make some custom laser pico projector which is EXPENSIVE
>>
>>16061758
also there are other upcoming huds like Exploride and Roav worth considering
>>
>>16061635
Yeah, I think they might be milking it while competition is light.

>>16061681
I think the comment you replied to was about the cost. As far as functionality goes, displaying the information in a non-distracting fashion has value. I'm just not sure it's $800.

>>16061684
I bought it and received it at the pre-order price of $300, no way I'd pay $800 for it.

>>16061758
The rumor mill was that they got an off the shelf part from TI for the projector (part of the delay was due to heat, which required waiting for a new part from TI), but some of the optics and such may have been specific to the Navdy.

Exploride sells preorders with no details on a beta or really any semblance of a real ship date.

Roav promises to start preorders in November but details are light and no price right now.

At $800, I'd definitely wait and see what develops. It's just too much money.
>>
>>16061798
>buying things from T "that'll be $200 for that calculator which cost us $10 in parts to make" I
>ever
>>
>>16061812
TI makes some good shit, it's just that education is a racket. The TI calc is the one all the 40-70 year old math teachers know how to use, they don't want to learn anything new and standardized tests don't want to certify any new brands. The cost of entry for a new entrant would initially be extremely high, so TI is left as the only game in town (especially after Carly Fiorina killed their calculator division) and they charge ripoff prices accordingly (because they can get away with it).

Most of their shit, TI is not bad on pricing. In the smartphone market, they got into a losing price war to the point where they could no longer make money, to the point where they decided to stop making SoCs for smartphones/tablets in late 2012 (couldn't compete effectively with Qualcomm and others).
>>
>>16061829 here
>especially after Carly Fiorina killed their calculator division
This refers to HP, the only (token, but real) competition Texas Instruments had in the area.

At least the NSPIRE calculators have color screens and more powerful processors now.
>>
>>16061834
Fiorina as in El Rato's running mate?
>>
>>16061618
I've wanted to make one of these, but have it have a bit wider a display range. Something inside the vehicle though, so you don't have an entire windshield of google glass or anything.

I wanted to link it to GPS and give it a method of letting you "see" pins, but it seems too difficult to execute.
>>
>>16061865
Yeah, she was devastating for HP.
>gets named CEO of HP in 1999 by the board, despite her not being a prior HP employee, not having any CEO experience at all, or interviewing with the entire board with huge deal ($65M restricted stock, $1M salary with $1.25-$3.75M bonus, $36,000 in mortgage assistance, could [and was encouraged] to use company planes for personal matters).
>as the tech bubble begins to burst, decides to acquire Compaq for $25B in September of 2001; the stock traded down 30%. board doesn't want it, but eventually caved. The son of Hewlett tries to fight the merger, but the shareholders back Fiorina with 51.4% of the vote
>by 2005, HP is massive due to the compaq merger, with lots of redundancy, few synergies, etc.. and then the PC market starts to decline. HP eventually wrote off $1.2B due to the acquisition
>didn't get the company culture
>told employees to take voluntary pay cuts to avoid layoffs, then did the largest layoffs in company history - employees hate her

>in 2004, made a deal with Steve jobs for an HP branded iPod. It would prohibit from HP from making a competitor and would require HP to ship iTunes on every computer they sold
>Two days before HP announces the deal, Steve Jobs introduces a new iPod (which the contract allowed since it was only for one version of the iPod and Apple wasn't required to give HP the new ones that people would actually want). HP still can't develop a competitor and still has to install a competitor's software on every computer they ship

Some say she took the heat and made changes that allowed her successors to save the company, but I (and many others) doubt that. She got paid $100M over six years for a company that she greatly damaged with a shit deal.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.